Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brodyjames_gw

Sans in Phoenix area

brodyjames_gw
14 years ago

I'll be in Phoenix next month and am hoping to locate some sans which are hard to get back home in Wisconsin. Does anyone know any good places to look? Thanks.

Comments (6)

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

I do but can't think of the name of the place. I will have my friend here at my house tomorrow night, he will be able to recommend a place he lives in Phoenix and took me to that place. I will ask him and get back to you. I promise. Norma

• brodyjames_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Norma, I appreciate any help I can get!

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

None available in Phoenix. I wrote a long report and my cat erased it. Norma

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Okay I am going to try again, she is sleeping someplace. Arid Lands has a large collection of them but they are not for sale. He wouldn't even talk to me, I don't think they will last the winter if he does get heat for them. The are growing out side. no shelter, in the summer the same, no fans, no shelter of a shade cloth which they would need in Phoenix. I saw Haworthia ,and Welwitchia dying, I am a women, and they resented any information. Never mind that I had more experience then he did just by sheer years growing these plants and have been professionally trained for 19 years I will be 80 this year. If you want to mail order I will be able to give you names of very realiable people. If you come to Calif. I will be able to take you to a few places that I know are selling. A few here and there will build you a collection over a 30 year period. If you want plants with great documentation call the Huntington Gardens 1626 405-3512 Send a check and ask for what you want, they specialize in f/c plants from Africa from different collectors. Grigsby,S Cactus, Vista Calif. Smoley's Florida these two I have always received great plants. They are fair and ethical. I have a S. parva, giving it away. Plants cannot be shipped in cold weather. There are others here in Calif. nureries a few here and there all private growers. Write down what you do have, Names, location date, where obtained. Any and all information on each that you have. Silly no, just well trained. I have 6 aethopica F/collected which one do you want, from 6 different locations each are different forms. Michael Vasser the collector. My hands give out so didn't proof this. Norma

• brodyjames_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Norma, thank you so much for getting back to me. I have been having problems getting back on this site; that is why it has taken me so long to respond. I am happy to accept any plants you are sharing and, once I see how others ship, I can give away some of the extra plants that I have. You said you won't ship in cold weather. Could you ship to Arizona? I could then take the plant(s) back home on the plane. Please let me know if this is acceptable. Oh, and I am taking your advice to document the info on my plants. I will tell my cousin to do the same....she has aloes that reproduce like rabbits! :)

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Well I have rabbits as well. San. as they get age will also produce rapidly. They need to fill the pot. Then they send up new growth, You can grow them from a leaf, a rhizome, an offset. Some of us grow in open ground, but do not plant any where near a asphalt driveway. It can come up right through it.