Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankc1964

Propagating silver snake plant

frankc1964
10 years ago

New to forum and have a question.

I have a bunch of snake plants and from time to time I do cut a leaf and propagate for a smaller pot.

A few months ago I bought a Zeylanica (silver) and I would like to make a few smaller plants.

Some of the leafs are mostly green but some have a really nice silver color pattern which is really striking. I would like to duplicate that silver color as much as possible.

Has anyone leaf cut one of these? Does it matter if you cut a silver leaf or plain green one?

It would be nice to reproduce the silver color.

Thanks in advance.

Lots of great info on this forum!

Comments (19)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Could you summit a picture of your plant. I think you have a Sans. trifasciata which was named Zeylanica by some nurseries. and I think the silver color in the leaves darkens with age to become a overhall dark green.
    Leaf cuttings will stay the same on this one.

• frankc1964
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the picture. The plant is about 2 feet and most of the leaves are green but some have the nice silver color. I am going to cut one of the silver and give it a shot.

Thanks

• frankc1964
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another. This is the one I am going to take.

10 years ago

It is just new, with age, it will turn the same as the rest of them. I too would love to find one that stays that fresh bright color.
    Stush

10 years ago

avil,
    I have a 'MoonShine' that is taking on some dark banding and is close to what I think you are looking for. It too will darken with age but should last a few years befor doing so.
    Stush

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Moonshine w/ banding Stush, really?

I always thought Moonshine was very pale green w/ no banding at all (none of the ones I've seen as Moonshine did). Was that on a formally IDed Moonshine or a guessed at Moonshine? Perplexing.

• frankc1964
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again. I have seen some pictures that have lots of large leaves that are still silver. It's probably just the luck of the draw and some turn slower than others.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Light exposure will be a factor in that.

10 years ago

PG,
    It came from a normal pup with the first two leaves normal, then out of the center, more green stripping. The rest of the plant is still the solid light green color. I will keep the pup all to its self and see what happens. It does look great.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Thanks for the clarification Stush, but was that actually formally IDed by someone as Moonshine, or are these what you're deciding to call them?

10 years ago

PG,
    It was given to me by some very knowable person here on Garden Web when I told them mine had all died last winter.
    Karen, Have you ever seen other than the solid plain type of MoonShine? There is 'MoonShine Brazillian' (simular to mine), also 'MoonShine Vareigated'.

This winter is going great from me. Most of my plants are producing new pups and heavy with leaves.
    Stush

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi Stush,

Thx for the responses. A Sans. knowledgeable person from GW sounds like an ID to me. How great your plants are doing well & got new pups & leaves.

My ZZs are putting on new growth now & some of my Hoyas too, but the Sans haven't been doing much / anything new yet (she says wondering...)

Here in the tri-state area, we all know what a bear this Winter has been / is still (flurries while walking to office this am). I've lost a couple of Sans. in the last year too, Hoyas too, bummer!

No, I never have seen other than the solid S. Moonshines, Thanks that's exactly why I was asking. Guess I've fallen behind the times in not knowing of these recent developments. Thx, I'll have to search around some time to see what they look like. Enjoy.

10 years ago

Here's a few of many new cultivars coming out soon. Mostly from overseas. Oldstumpy promised me some, so we'll see hows his are doing this year.
    Stush

• barbmock
    10 years ago

Wow Stush!

10 years ago

Picture of mine. Nothing special right now but shows some promice. I would love to have snake plants like Tiffany had growing out side and for them to hold onto those neat bright colors. I think this may turn out to be the closest thing possible.
    'Thanks again Barb'
    Stush

• barbmock
    10 years ago

She's lookin' good. Beautiful new growth. Do you have it growing under lights? That's something I would like to try. Mine have those little extra horizontal markings too.

10 years ago

Bmock,
    Did you notice the almost vertical streaks in the leaves? Way too faint but who knows. I am planting this outside in the yard come May and seeing what happens.
    And yes, it is under a twin T-8 bright light flour. Bulbs.
    Stush

• barbmock
    10 years ago

Looking closer at your picture, I am seeing some other choice plants you have started. You are building a nice collection, Stush.

• frankc1964
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! That MoonShine is very cool.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH