Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidtrader

Variegated Sansevieria

orchidtrader
12 years ago

I am new sanservieria lover. I must admit I have always had the common types in my plant collections but they have taken on a direction for me. I normally am an orchid grower and have a greenhouse.

I was wondering about green and variegated types of sanservieria ? I have fallen in love with one named 'Bantel's Sensation' and another one named White Giant or something to that affect. Does anbody know the difference between these 2 types or they the same ? as does anybody know some other types of green and white variegated forms ? I am also looking for anyone interested in trading some divisions.

Thank you

Darwin

Comments (32)

• mfyss
    12 years ago

These are distinct, but just a couple of the many cultivars of S. trifasciata. They are awkward to ship due to size and weight, but certainly easily grown. If you don't locate them locally, I could send them. Yale

• hijole
    12 years ago

Darwin, welcome to my world, I to just recently added a bantel sensation to my collection and was surprised to learn that they were very demanding, what I mean by that is they have some requirements that they need in order to flourish and grow up healthy.

Check out the thread here called " Sanseveria contest, read all about it."

We are presently having a contest to see who can get their bantel sensation to root and grow the fastest even though It's a very slow process.
    Jumb in and even get involved, there is some pictures too so add some if you can.
    Greg

• hijole
    12 years ago

Darwin, welcome to my world, I to just recently added a bantel sensation to my collection and was surprised to learn that they were very demanding, what I mean by that is they have some requirements that they need in order to flourish and grow up healthy.

Check out the thread here called " Sanseveria contest, read all about it."

We ate presently having a contest to see who can get their bantel sensation to root and grow the fastest even though It's a very slow process.
    Jumb in and even get involved, there is some pictures too so add some if you can.

Greg

• orchidtrader
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Yale and Greg
    I will do some more reading and check out the contest.
    Yale I have only began to search for the plants but I do not know of any nursery's locally that would carry it. Oklahoma is really lacking novelty plant stores... and if you do find any at the local nurserys they are priced way to high something that should be about 12-20 dollars will run you about 45 -70.... I may write you if I do not find any once it warms up.
    Thanks
    Darwin

• hijole
    12 years ago

Orchid trader, I got mine at the pasadena cactus center, they have a large web site check it out some time, when repotted though I discovered no roots had yet been developed , and It's been and up hill climb for me.
    Happy searching,
    Grrg

• woodnative
    12 years ago

You may find other Sans folks are often quite willing to trade extras if they have them. I have both of them but not enough to trade at the moment. 'White Striped Giant' grows very well for me.....in fact I threw away most of my plant (some green reversion and poorer marked pups) last year. 'Bantel's Sensation' is slower and more sensitive for me. My main problem is in winter so your greenhouse may help a lot! 'Bantel's Sensation' has stiff, rather narrow leaves and the variegation is more stable. 'White Striped Giant' has tall and wide leaves that often flop. The variegation pattern can be different from pup to pup and leaf to leaf. Look also at 'Siam Silver'.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Darwin, Welcome.
    I bought my 'Bantel's Sensation' at Bob Smoley's Gardenworld. It was only $6 each. I bought 4 of them to get to his minimum shipping. But he has so many other things there to buy. They were nice sections with about 2-3 inches of rhizome and roots. So far they are growing. I can't say the same for my Sansevieriav Guineensis Variedata which just rotted and fell over. Happened last year but grew back from the roots but his year looks bad for it. Also my Sansevieria Trifasciata Forescate is starting to rot at the base. The first thing I did was to check the pot. I knew I didn't water it but maybe someone else might have. But no, it was dry. The room I keep it in might have gotten too cold for it. 65 degrees. All my green trifasciata are doing great.

Yale, Welcome also. Hope you keep posting.

Chris, Thanks for the encouragement.

• orchidtrader
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Woodnative Thanks for the insight and I will look up 'Siam Silver' I am new to sans so I do not know they the types yet. Stush2049 Thanks for the info on Bob Smoleys but I must admimt I am a little hesitant to order from him again. I had placed an large order from him for Christmas cactus a couple of years ago and almost everyone when it bloomed was mislabeled and the plants unpon arrival where not in the best shape and some even had scale on them. I do not know what caused your rot but when I get rot in my orchids I spinkle them with alot of cinnamon but first if I can I cut the rotting part away but cinnamon has saved a few very vaulable plants in my collection. In some cases it has worked better than chemicals and its alot safer. Thanks for the info...

12 years ago

Darwin,
    Thanks for the tip. I did know this and also peroxide mixed with water helps. There is a table to use but I just add about 1/2 cup 3% to gallon of water. But on sans, I just use a teaspoon to 1/2 cup. And then only a small tablespoon at a time to water it. Usually it's too late to do anything. The damage was done and I don't want to add water to the damage.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Darwin,

If you're looking around for green & white variegates, I believe there is another called Lillian's True which is said to stay true like Bantel's Sensation (that is to say not revert).

I've never seen it myself, but have read & hear about it.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Darwin,

If you're looking around for green & white variegates, I believe there is another called Lillian's True which is said to stay true like Bantel's Sensation (that is to say not revert).

I've never seen it myself, but have read & hear about it.

• orchidtrader
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have tried pure peroxide on my orchids but it never really worked. Yes your right by the time we see the damage its to late ... but I still try the Cinniman trick.

Thanks for the info on Lillian's True I have some time this coming week so I can do some research for info on this plant.

• woodnative
    12 years ago

Hey PG-
    Lilian is more yellow variegated. I had this in my collection but lost it one winter. It is a nice plant, however. It looks similiar in colors to 'Compacta' but the stripes of variegation are more random and differ from front to back of each leaf.

12 years ago

To all, The White and Yellow variegates are more cold sanative. I lost mine due to a cold chill. About 60 degrees. Which is ok for most of the common ones. Guineensis Variegatea, and Trifasciata Forescate are very finicky here. You need to keep them warm (75-80). Which is out of the question for me. The peroxide is suppose to increase the oxygen levels in the soil to help the roots out. Cinnamon is a anti-fungal. Mine rotted at the rhizome level. Leaving me leaves with no roots. Not much to do at that condition. Didn't even know that until one leaf just fell over. Then, too late. The remaining leaves I put up in pumice but don't expect nothing. I know Chris knows this because like me, he's been there.

• elichka
    12 years ago

Hi, i'd like to know your opinion. i want to buy 'Bantel's Sensation' and 'Lillian's True'. I keep my room 66C. Do you think they will rot? They will be in a fast draining mix clay pots. I used to have small offset Trifasciata Craigii but it rotted I don't know why
    Thanks
    Inna

• woodnative
    12 years ago

"elichka" - 'Craigi' is even more sensitive because of its extreme variegation. You will probably have better luck with these than 'Craigi' (I killed that one too!). 'Lillian True' is actually pretty easy and most of the offsets are not that extrem in variegation. With all of these variegates get the largest plant you can start with......larger robust plants seem to be able to be more forgiving than tiny pieces.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Elichka,

I have no experience w/ these variegates yet (just got my first one).

Am guessing that when it comes to killing Sans. (indoors), it would be either from overwatering or very bad mix; much less likely from room temps.

I find it a bit curious this is what you're asking, but will wait to see what comments are made by folks who already have grown these.

• elichka
    12 years ago

Woodnative: Thank you for the quick response and great advice. I was about to buy rhizomes and offsets, but I hate killing plants and rather pay a little more to enjoy them.
    Karen: My mix consists of turface,perlite and small pine bark. All of my plants are in clay pots. i water every 3-4 weeks during winter and once a week in summer. Still some of them rot some times. So I have to blame room temps and my husband:)))who tries to cut costs.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

I can't understand how they could rot in winter. The only Sans. I've lost in winter are from UNDER watering, which happens to me less now, but did until about a year ago.

Gee, here I was going to suggest you try watering them every 2 wks or so in winter, 3-4 wks sounds a long time, especially w/ such fast draining mix. Hum -- a bit confusing.

• woodnative
    12 years ago

It is hard to say if every day or every week or every month is appropriate for watering......depends on a lot of things. Temperature, potting mix, pot size, if they are near a radiator, if they are in the sun etc. etc.
    Karen some of these more extreme variegates become less "happy" in winter under less than ideal condtions, in my experience. That is, where a more common type Sans would sit fine in a cool, darker room over winter some of these extreme variegates will rot.

• orchidtrader
    Original Author
    12 years ago

First off I am no expert growning Sanseveria however I have been growing plants personally and professionally for 42 yrs. You did not state where you are growing your plants ? I would say you might have a combination of things going on.
    So lets think about how plants grow in nature. Most places where plants grow they will have seasonal changes in weather that will be either a difference in temps or wet and dry and some places will have both. ( If you are growing cool I would not water much if at all unless the plants are actively growing )
    Also plants need a change in day and night temps as this happens in nature as well. We all try to conserve on heating but think about mabee turning your therostat down at night and raising it up in the day ? I have grown alot lot of plants much cooler than they like as long as they can warm up in the day and they seem to be ok with that. Or if you can grow them in or by a sunny window this will naturally be warmer during the day.
    Next lets think about the wind in nature. It moves the air around the plants to keep the air from being stagnet. So if you can place a small fan in the area and get some air movement going this will help keep rot away. Now I do not mean having a huge fan blowing on high but a small fan to gentally move the air. (example tie a small string or ribbon on something and it should gentally move in the breeze)
    Light plays a big role as well but dark corners are normally stale places for air movement and not temp difference.
    Also Variegated plants are always more difficult to grow and normally are much slower.

This is just my thought the subject.
    darwin

• elichka
    12 years ago

Karen: I cannot water every 2 wks. I tried and they rot.

Woodnative: I agree with you. its many factors. I water not when mix becomes dry and not on schedule,but roughly 3-4 wks,but if its sunny and i know the mix is dry I will water. Also I find Moonshine a bit finicky. is it easy for you?

orchidtrader: My Sans are on the floor near west window. Window sills I keep for Crassulas and Euphorbias,i think they need more light. Its a good idea to run a fan, I read that people use it,but thought its more useful in greenhouse. i will definitely try.

12 years ago

darwin,
    As Woodnative stated these highly variegated plants are finicky. They don't exist in nature and are much more weaker than the regular green Sans. Temps as low as 60* F will kill them but Trifasciata Laurentii thrives. Until you lost a few, you will know what we are talking about.
    Thank you for your fan tip. I did read that wind was plants exercise.

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

I have grown for the Huntington Gardens a total of 500 San. 'Forscate' I have reported on this forum how they are grown.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Inna,

If you can't water every two weeks for fear of rotting there's something wrong with the soil the plant's in. It (the soil) needs more porosity.

• elichka
    12 years ago

Jeff,
    I really don't know. it consists of turface,perlite and some bark. it doesn't stay soggy,dries out in 2-4 days. All of my plants seem happy except variegated sans. Also I find Moonshine very finicky. so I'm thinking must be room temperature. they probably need to stay warmer. its just my experience.
    Inna

12 years ago

Tip, I was posting in another forum. The person told me about their friend in Taiwan. After their monsoon where their planting beds were flooded for over a month, Their Sans picked right back up and continued growing. And they had many different varieties. So warmth is very important here. They use moisture retentive soils and have no problems. So heat is the key here.

Norma, You stated you lost 250 San. 'Forscate' because some one left them unprotected one night and had to start over again. Most any other sans could have taken some abuse.

I bought one Sansevieria Trifasciata Futura type on clearance in winter. It was next to an open tarp. It had been exposed to 28 degree F. weather. No harm. I felt sorry for it and thought it would rot after I took it home and warmed up. For only 50 cents.
    Stush

PS my first day I started to feel better. I been suffering with flu and pneumonia.

• woodnative
    12 years ago

That is correct Stush. When my Sans are outside in the summer they don't mind a ton of water. We had a very wet summer about 3 years back and the Sans THRIVED. They even seem to be fine out there in the fall and Spring when nights are cool but things warm and dry in the daytime. Inside, in winter, is another story. PG, these highly variegated plants are indeed much more sensitive too temperatures on the low side. Orchidtrade, did you get some of these new plants yet?

• orchidtrader
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No I have not ordered any yet. I plan on placing an order once the weather warms up and its safe for shipping as there are no local sources here in oklahoma that I know of.
    orchidtrader

• laura1
    12 years ago

I grow at least 30 varieties of sans. All stayed outside this winter all to temps. in low 30s and no deaths. I really don't understand temps. in 60s bothering sans.

• orchidtrader
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Laura
    I am with you I do not understand about the low temps either . I have been talking talking to a guy who grows his in a cold frame and he says the temps get down down in the 30's. The low temps at night should be ok as long as the day temps warm up and I think that is the key to them serviving the cold.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    12 years ago

A little late to this post, but there is a company in Oklahoma that does succulents/Sans mail order. She lists Sans under Ruscaceae. I've shown the website below. I've never used her, but the one time I talked to her years ago she said she goes to quite a few cactus and succulent shows (although not the one in Tulsa). You may want to e-mail her to see if she will be in a show near you some time this spring.....Maryl

Here is a link that might be useful: J&J cactus and succulents