Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodnative

S. senagambica var. flowering

woodnative
12 years ago

I got a piece of S. senagambica many years ago but it was only variegated on one leaf. I culled numerous green pups from it until I finally got one that was decently variegated. Now I get mostly variegated pups. Anyway, this is the first time it has flowered.

Comments (11)

• elichka
    12 years ago

beautiful plant. Thanks for sharing.

When my Trifasciata flowered last month I was so happy until I found 2 mealy bugs sitting on a flower. I freaked out and cut the flower;))

• woodnative
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Watch out for those meelies!! Sans are relatively pest-free but mealies can really create havoc with a Sans. Make usre there are none hiding in the leaf crevices or worst under the soil. I hate mealies!!

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

I don't blame you for being proud, it's a beautiful plant. Would you care to share some of your secrects, where is it placed, inside or out. potting mix, what are you using, and temp. that you are keeping this plant? There are people here that I am sure would love to know, Thank you Norma

• woodnative
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Norma!!
    My collection and growing experience pale next to you and yours, LOl! Still, I am growing on the temperate east coast (NJ) and do not have a greenhouse (sigh!). I like to make my own potting mixes. For the Sans I usually start with a commercial cactus mix....to it I will add compost, a little soil, extra perlite, some course sand, maybe a pinch of bone meal. I usually stick my Sans outside in summer where they thrive even when it is wet. In winter most get stuffed into relatively dark areas (my house has minimal sunny windows) and stay fairly cool and dry. A few select variegates etc. stay in a "plant room" at my work.......basically a small room with shop lights that stays warmer. This is in a trailer so the heat runs frequently and plants dry out quickly. I have to water pretty often there. S. senagambica is a pretty vigorous Sans, so even the variegates are somewhat faat growing (for a Sansevieria).

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Woodnative,
    I have never heard of this type. I see why it is not good to guess what sans is pictured. As I was told, there are too many types and so confusing. Any way, I am sure that I am not along to say, don't cull any more all green pups out. I would love to have one. It just may have pups that revert back to strips. (maybe?). I am guessing you discard those pups?
    Stush

• woodnative
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Stush-
    Yes, I usually throw them away. I will certainly have some, and maybe even a variegate, available in the future for you. The green version is kind of weedy at not overly attractive. It is an ok green plant......but there are much better. I do like the variegated version though! The other good thing is it remains smaller than many Sans so it is easy to find space for it!!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

WN,

I'll try again to understand, but can't a variegated pup be grown from a non-variegated plant that's grown from a variegated mother plant?

Thanks,

Jeff

• woodnative
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jeff-
    It could....but it is unlikely unless there is still a bit of variegation there that is not visible to the eye. Basically all green shoots will continue to produce green offsets. Periclinal variegation is relatively stable and most offsets will be the same as the parent (e.g. S. trifasciata 'laurenti'). This plant has Mericlinal variegation (more random striping) which is less stable. In general, the more random "stripes" of variegation you have in a mericlinal variegated Sans, the better chance you have of it producing variegated offsets. Does that make sense? Here is a link that may further explain the different types of variegation.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/tisscult/chimeras/chimeralec/chimeras.html

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Chris,
    Thanks, I will somehow repay you.
    Stan

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

Well I have received many of my variegated plants from offsets of green mother plants, I separate them by leaving at least 3" of the rhizome. Then after 10-20 years they may revert back to the green leaf that they started from. Don't ask, I don't know why. I can't get into this forum all of a sudden it rejects my password, don't know why was something changed here? Norma

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Norma,

Nothing changed as far as I know.

Could there be a typo in your password? Or, could you have caps lock on the the password isn't upper case?

That happens to me sometimes in the office doing Federal Express stuff online.

Try it a few more times OR, maybe re-start your computer & then try again?