Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jpw_chi

Best Source for Sansevierias

jpw_chi
16 years ago

What's the best source to order Sansevierias from? -- Not now, I think, because it's too cold, but in the spring. I'm looking for big, healthy plants with "mother-in-law's tongue"/snake plant habit, but with unusual coloration, etc.

Thanks.

Comments (14)

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

Then order hybrids which are not stable, but interesting, 'Bantel's Sensation' is the most stable out of the bunch and the easiest for me to grow it comes from that mother's dna S. trifasicata it's a sport , it's a crap shoot who you order from. I taking it that you are a beginner from the question. I'm so glad that you ask, this is exactly how I have learned over the years. Norma

• isusandi
    16 years ago

Please try : bobsmoleys.com, exoticplants.com
    I also try to find the best source to order Sans. It is difficult to me to import these plants cos I live in Indonesia. I think for American, there is no problem.

Anyone have another source? Please help us...

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

There is a problem, very few places to Order from. Bob Smoley has good plants but order early he will ship three months later. Keep track of what you order if you charge it on a card or send a check. Grigsby's has always been my favorite. She will stand behind her plants, ships promptly, good plants. But be sure to order in the Spring. I think she has a cataloge on line as well as Bob Smoley. There is one I don't recommend but don't believe I can disclose it here. The Huntington will be shipping plants starting in the Spring and they are on line as well. Pricing is competive and in line for all of them, and no nonsense with the postage costs, all package very well with correct labels. I know the Huntington will stand behind their plants, may not be as large until later in the summer and usually ship small plants because the cost of postage. I don't belive any of the three will ship with soil across state lines. Norma

• nadine_1944
    16 years ago

Hi. Am looking for sansevieria rorida and eilensis to add to my collection. Where can I source these?

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

That is another problem. I don't know of any one that will sell those species. Nadine, there is more than one form of S. rorida Norma

• asiatic_green
    16 years ago

I am looking for rare sansevierias too, there are so many common species around but rare ones are so hard to get.

I'm starting to collect them and i only want the rare species or varigations.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    16 years ago

Years ago Decades ago the person at the link below was the absolute best at finding Sansevieria for you.

Note that she was a disaster to do business with - tended to lose you paperwork. But if you really wanted something and were really persistent she would find it for you.

Perhaps it has been too long and she don't do it anymore. Perhaps there are two people with the same unusual name and were into Sansevieria. Perhaps this link is no good and it really is not a link to her.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to member page of person who could once find Sansevieria for you.

• blutarski
    16 years ago

norma, i've seen pictures of bantel's sensation on ebay, and it looks like it's black with a silvery stripe. is this correct, or is it a white stripe?

oh, and is it worth spending a bit more for it, or are they really hard to keep?

Thanks

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

Indonesia seems to not be having any problems receiving plants from the U.S. I am talking Thailand here. There is also plenty of them available. They don't go by the same names as we do, and I think they make up the names as they go along, I have two books from Thailand. Very creative in naming plants, but they look great,I don't know how the pricing is however. 'Bantel's Sensation' is worth having and is very easy for me to grow. I have never had it revert in the 30 years that I have had the plant, I would not spend more the $25.00 for one plant. Meaning 1 single head for several leaves, and a two inch stem with roots, make sure it is rooted. It is a nice green with white, or near white stripes. I am happy to help all I can, I am no expert but I am knowledgable. Crasulady (Norma )

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

She still is, I have her here weekly at my house, I belong to her San. forum , we just have fun. San. questions are welcome. This has been a terrific group for me and we actually talk about
    San. once in a while and everything else, we are a family of many. Norma

• cynthiamarie
    15 years ago

Since you're in the Chicago area, give Geimer Nursery in Long Grove a try. Sometimes they're kinda sparse on what Sans they have for sale but other times they put some pretty interesting ones up for sale.

For mail order, I like Grigsby and Asiatica Nursery, plus a lady named Karole Brooks of Krimson Kreek Ranch -- she sells on ebay. She's a nice lady, very easy to work with, and I've found her very reasonably priced. On the other hand, depending on how much money you have, there can be a lot of interesting sans available on ebay. :-)

• johnb_dallas
    14 years ago

I've also been purchasing plants from Karole Brooks of Krimson Kreek Ranch via eBay. Her plants are generally "Buy Now" instead of having to bid for them. The plants I've received are very nice and she's easy to work with as well as honest. If for some reason you've overpaid (in my case for shipping when ordering multiple orders via eBay) she wastes no time in refunding the money. It's always nice to know you're dealing with someone honest and ethical.

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Grigsby is a local Calif. nursery down in Vista, I find her hard to work with when there, but a real sweetheart by mail, honest and ethical. This is the best time of the year to order because they are in growth. So you should be able to get plants that are fresh and not old beat up. Don't worry about size, by the end of the summer they will be full grown. Beginners worry about size, let me assure you that most grow fast. Miniatures will always be small. Stuckyi will end up at least 6' to 8' if given a large container to live in. 10 gal. for this species.

• client_m
    14 years ago

Lowe's Home Improvement, Stein Gardens & Gifts (Kenosha, WI), Home Depot