Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

My latest no ID Sans. - rosette like

pirate_girl
11 years ago

Hi Folks,

Here from snowy NYC, my latest no ID Sans. find. Its leaves are interesting & very thickly succulent. Trying to find the right spot for it among the rest of the crowd.

{{gwi:484171}}

Kind of cool, not the everyday Sans. Anybody have a clue which it might be?

Hey Norma are you around out there? Any guesses as to ID pls?

{{gwi:78825}}

Comments (39)

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Hi Karen, My guess, Jade dwarf marginated. The photo shows a bright green though, is it really a darker color? Barb

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

Could be maybe a hanii futura. Do no use this name guesses don't count. I not good at pictures at all. ;

• greybird_keke
    11 years ago

Can't help with the ID, but looks like a great find! Are the leaves thicker than a regular hahnii?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Cool variety, whatever it is! :)

Josh

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

I understand why Norma suggested futura. Those leaves look a little too long for a hahnii. But Bmock might be right. Usually Dwarf Jade Marginated has a much darker green but it can be lighter due to light conditions. If it stays like this, then yes it's hahnii but if it pups larger ones then Norma is right. Really hard to tell. Still a nice find. Good for you Karen.
    Hope you didn't get hit all that hard last night's storm.
    Stush

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Folks,

Well Barb, it really IS that bright green. I took some pix w/ a ZZ plant for color contrast but haven't uploaded them yet. Also took some side shots of the plant to show another view.

I don't really know the Hahnii group, are those the 'Birds Nest' Sans? If so I've killed a few of these over the yrs. & quit growing them.

But the leaves really are quite thick, thicker than other Sans. I've seen. It'll be interesting to see what it does.

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Missed this before. I am going to guess 'Jade Dwarf Marginated' also......probably grown in a little less light than optimal. With stronger light I bet you get shorter darker green pups from it.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Woodnative,

Would you suggest it wants as much light as directly at a west window? Or might that be too much for it? Right now I've placed it about 8-10 ft. from a west window.

Is that 'Jade Dwarf Marginated' actually a real name, or its common name pls?

• Michaela
    11 years ago

Golden Hahnii throws a number of different looks. One of these has creamy white margins and has been given the name, "'Hahnii White Gold'. I believe this could be your plant. 'Jade Dwf. Marginated' has very dark green centers as others have noted.

I agree with others that the green color looks a bit odd, It looks too light for most trifasciatas. Maybe a camera flash has lightened it up. Also, it does not appear to have the vase-like shape of Hahnii's I'm used to seeing. Its just "different" looking.

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Michael good to see you! I have not seen 'Hahnii White Gold'. How common or uncommon is that one? I have seen 'Jade Dwarf Marginated', as well as other hahnis, growing in suboptimal conditions especially in regards to light (often in offices!) and they can get that shape to them...though that does look different. PG I don't think they mind a few hours direct light....especially through a window. I keep my hahnis on my windowsills (East one in my office and actually a south side garden window at home) and they thrive there....look better than other places. They also get put outside in the summer where they may be in a shady place but still get some direct morning or evening sun.

11 years ago

I count 16 leaves and still going. It may be Futura stacker? Well, any way about it, Karen, You got a keeper there. We will have to keep an eye out for future updates.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hiya Folks,

Back w/ additional views of this plant. Sort of side views.

It came in both this pot & this mix, which I left for the moment as it looked like it had plenty of perlite in it. From my Local Indoor Gardening Society, plant sale table, came just labeled 'Mini-Sans".

W/ its neighboring ZZ to show contrast of the greens, this really is bright green, not dark green.

{{gwi:78558}}

I love the stripes on the lower leaves. I did have to cut off that inner leaf that was drying out. My apmt is still on generators & alternate electrical & heat post-Hurricane. I can't control the heat & sometimes it's quite hot, I've lost a few plants to it (some CC cuttings & several Hoyas, including some of their new growth).

I've got windows open, fans on & even some humidity trays (not for the Sans) as it seems especially dry, such that I'm watering the clay potted Sans. weekly it seems. So hard to judge ... sigh

11 years ago

Karen,
    I hope you and all the others soon get all the help you need to restore to post hurricane times. What a shame we can't do it sooner. Makes my problems seem smaller now.
    Stush

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Hey Karen,

With that unique color and form, your plant should have a name of it's own. How about Pirate Girl's Emerald Gem. Pretty classy, huh! You know, emerald is the color of the year.
    Barb

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Folks,

Hey Stush, I appreciate the sentiments, thanks, slowly but surely services have come back. I'm lucky my losses were relatively minor, tho' the entire first floor of my bldg does need to be rebuilt.

Hiya Barb,

PG's Emerald Gem, huh, I like it!!!! Well I'm enjoying how different it is. After posting, I got curious & turned it out of the mix & am glad I did, surface mix looked good, the rest was rather fine particles that I wouldn't want for it.

Surprising little roots, but looks fine otherwise. I potted it up in a faster draining mix & we shall see.

Here again

and what I think is a particularly cool shot

{{gwi:498446}}

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Did no one see this yet? I really wanted to show this extra cool picture!!!

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Yes, I see it, and it is really cool. i love the stripes. It looks a lot like a plant that Stush shared with me. Mine has that deep green color though. My sans are getting so eager for spring, most of them are sending up pups and new growth. Love it!

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

PG, that close up is beautiful. What a lovely plant. The variegation is especially crisp. The difference between the white and green contrast is quite showy. I don't have any idea which cultivar this one is, but it is a great catch!

Michael

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Looks good PG! BTW my Sans often seem to lose roots over winter. In summer,when outside, they get potbound quickly but at this time of year many of the plants can be pulled up though the roots that are there look healthy.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks folks, I am just super smitten w/ this plant & its variegation.

I suppose should admit re: the last pic that I am a recovering textile designer, that's probably part of why I love this close up shot so much, looks like it should be fabric.

I can't wait to see what this plant does, I hope it adjusts to my ever changing apmt temps & goes on to make a few pups, I would find that just excellent!

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

PG, the plant is REALLY good. I haven't seen coloration like that. I'm not very familiar with trifasciata cultivars, but this one is REALLY good. I can see the fabric fascination and association. I hope it thrives for you and produces lots and lots of offsets. (Norma's lightly chided me, twice, for saying pups. "Dogs make pups." She's right, you know. >>)

Michael

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Hey Michael-
    I have plenty of horticulture/plant science training and background, and even though Norma is 100% correct I admit I like saying "pups" too, LOL! PG keep us updated on this plant!

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

Oh yes, WN, I have the background too... but... pups...pupping... "pup-ulating" and "pup-ulation" are all in my vocabulary! (Although, I'm really a cat person.)

Michael

11 years ago

Ok, I amit I am a pup person too. Sorry Norma. I guess we must use offset.
    Stush

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

\
    Stush thanks for the credits of trying to name Karen's Plant,you are giving me credit for sometning I didn't do. tonight was the first time I saw it. I don't grow T. hahnii I can't grow them. I am breaking the habit of trying to name them. Unless it is 'Moonshine' or S. stuckii, perhaps a few others that I can recognize for sure. I hope you start collectijng San. books, they will only go up in value. I wish I took better care of Juan C. first San. book I paid 19.95 for first one it now sell for $200 if in good conditiion. I do have the journal and still hAVE A plant that I can't I.D. even with all of my books. The color is very blue, like the color of thei side bar that go up an down. ( glaucus blue it is called)and very large groiwing. And I don't grow any S. furtura either I don't think? Norma

11 years ago

I now own several books on Sanseveria and enjoy reading them over and over. I may have to join the Sans Soc. to continue to get updates but I want to limit the amount of money I spend on a hobby. People are more important and many family/friends need help.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey there Ms Norma, ;>)

You posted on this very thread 1st on Feb. 9th, suggesting it might be a Futura, but cautioning me not to use that name (which I won't), so you DID see this earlier than March 6, but OK.

As to pup vs. offset, sorry I didn't know, & since I got involved w/C&S some 15 yrs. ago or so, I've always referred to all succulents babies as pups. Oh well, good thing I'm not in it for the professional credentials or anything like that.

Since I'm an amateur, casual collector, I'm not going to fret abt names. If I share it in the future, it'll go as no ID (tho' I really like the new name BMock is suggesting ;>)).

This naming stuff goes on in Hoyas circles too (can get heated enough that mention of several Hoya 'names' are prohibited from mention here at GW). Thank G_D we're not ALL that crazed, here anyway.

As a good friend & earlier mentor in C&S used to remind us sometimes, we grow the plant for the plant, not the names, right? I'm sure it wasn't original to him, but it's a good reminder, nonetheless.

Thanks for the nice comments all, I'm going to try & find out who donated it & pursue provenance further (just to satisfy my own curiosity).

FYI: about why my home is still on generators 3 months later. In the aftermath of the Hurricane & early cleanup, asbestos was found in our bldg's basement (where all the electrical & utilities were metered). Once asbestos is found, it becomes a hazardous materials site, DEP & all that jazz, which trumps ALL ELSE, trades, utilities, repairs. It took two months before I got my landline back (& (Internet too). So, relatively speaking I did OK, no lost loved ones, or property lost, I'm relatively lucky & most grateful for it too.

The plant is drying out REALLY fast. I'm almost ready to put a humidity tray under it, except I'm afraid that would kill it. Just the huge amount of heat being send up to my apmt is making this mix bone dry to the touch, seems like every few days, 4 or 5 maybe. Anyway, will keep you all posted!

11 years ago

Howdy, Karen!
    I know it's not a Sans., but I had the plant and the camera outside the other day and thought I'd update you on this one. Thanks, again. Ceropegia sandersonii.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Josh,

Nice to see it; it's done well w/ you. If mine, I might consider cutting it back some & placing the cuttings back into mother pot to fill it out more, that's how I like mine to be anyway.

I wish Denise in Omaha sees this (she's often at Hoya forum). I'd shared some of this w/ her too & if I recall, she maintains that hers drops all of its leaves, which I don't understand at all. Mine's never done that. I think these bloom in Summer & I'll probably start fertilizing mine next month (it's never bloomed, may not have enough light).

Thanks for the update Josh.

11 years ago

Hey, Karen! Apologies again for the off-topic...
    but I just had to sneak in a couple more. After your post, I uncoiled the vines for a picture. I agree that the plant should be pruned and propagated for a fuller look...as you can see, the vines have gotten quite long, and I've just been winding them up.

11 years ago

Final pic...coiled back up now.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Josh, no apologies, it's fine.

Wow, some serious vine length there! Lucky man, you have the luxury of space for them, mine are kept trim for apartment living. I don't know if they bloom on older or newer growth.

I recall that Sage Reynolds (of Ceropegia Journal fame) used to grow his Ceropegias in tomato cages & it was a GREAT way to contain 'em, should you care to keep them long. Anyway, they sure look happy, maybe w/Spring & some fertilizer, they'll bloom for ya this year. Nice work.

What you did is what I end up doing to my C. woodii, or when too long, just draping it back over itself. Cool plants!

11 years ago

Yeah, I didn't realize how long the vines had gotten!
    This pot hitches a ride with my Moro blood orange, nestled on the potting mix....no other room for it in the house. I have the K. orgyalis in a bonsai pot. I'll update you on those in a separate Thread.

Josh

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, it's bad news folks, it's a goner, seems to have dried out after I had to down size it a time or 2 as it lost leaves.

I am so bummed, at least I have the great pic as a memory.

I believe it's been suggested this type of Sans. can be found at some BBS but I haven't seen any.

If anybody sees this around locally, pls. let me know. I need more!!!!!!!!!

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

PG,
    Awww... sorry to hear that. :/

Planto

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Laura,

Well thanks for trying, but those aren't Sans., they're Dracenas (which I recognize, but are also labeled as such just below the pix to which you referred me).

It happens I tracked down the person who donated this plant to my group & got another of the same. He maintains it was a BBS purchase somewhere.

This one I'm leaving in the mix it came in. I'm trying to give it more sun, but am nervous about watering.

While it's doing nicely, I placed next to it a Sans. someone had gifted me, which unbeknownst to me had some insect infestation. I discarded the entire infected plant, & have fingers & toes crossed that those evil insects didn't spread.

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Ugh, you have had some bad luck lately. I imagine you have to work twice as hard to have plants thrive a city apartment building!

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, to back luck.

No to having to work twice as hard. Actually Laura, that's just not true. People really assume wrongly about that.

Someone on here (Houseplants), on seeing pix of a lush hanging plant I've grown & showed, told me he couldn't believe I could grow such beautiful plants in an apartment.

It helps to know what you're doing. But the key was to learn WHICH PLANTS to grow in my conditions. Since I have all unobstructed west-facing windows on top floor w/ no AC, I had to learn heat tolerant plants & those which could go w/out water for a bit.

EX: Orchids which often need a 20% different in day vs. night temps, is not a condition I can ever reproduce here, so I don't grow them.

Which is largely why I grow mostly succulents. Happy to say they mostly do well.