Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Early Valentine's Day Sans

Posted by lme5573 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 11:00

With so much snow and cold, I had a terrible case of cabin fever. My husband had to get gas for the snowblower, and he stopped at Horrock's on the way home.

Yippee - I found two sans. One of them is Black Coral, very dark green, and lighter green chevrons. It is larger than any plant I own, the longest leaf is more than 24". I took a picture, but it doesn't show the black leaves to good advantage.

The second one is a hahnii, I think. I was looking for Gold Hahnii, but this was the only one they had. I think it is Dwarf Jade Marginata. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It has yellow margins and the inside green part is solid dark green, no pattern at all. I looked them all over, and chose one that had 2 good sized pups. This morning I noticed some mature leaves have cracks down the center. One is actually split, the others are just a white line, but I can feel a start of a split.

What would cause the split? Too much water? Too cold? I will attach other pictures of my plant. Thanks! Lennie in frosty sw lower Michigan.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Early Valentine's Day Sans

Here's a good look at the splits.

o

Another look at 2 pups.

o

Black Coral - does not show the black leaves to advantage, but I think this is an older variety. Most of you probably have it or have seen it before.

Lennie

o

Good finds! The hahni does look like 'Jade Dwarf Marginated' which is a good grower and very nice looking. I imagine those splits are just mechanical damage from rough handling/shipping.

o

Lennie,
Lucky you. Your right about hahnii Jade Marginata. Looks the same as the ones I have. Also those splits could be from too much fertilizer. It also could be changing into a different cultivar. The strip down the middle is different. Keep an eye on it.
I have limited room for tall growing kinds but yours is beautiful. They will darken up in low light.
Stush

o

Picture of Black Coral I took at the Danial Stowe Bot. Garden.

o

Love your sans. I purchased a hahnii jade marginata
(thanks for the name!)last summer on ebay.
It was just labled as a drawf sansevieria.
Cute little thing.
Still learning names and I've had good luck so far.
I also buy what appeals to me.
Hmmm, seems like alot appeals to me lately.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here