Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growth habits

Posted by MojaveLove 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 25, 11 at 11:42

I can't recall the name off the top of my head but I have the common Sans with the yellow outline and zig-zaggy variegation. Are these plants slow growing? It's a few feet from a southern window and gets direct morning sun in the winter. When I bought it I didn't know better at the time and put it in potting soil (plan to fix that when it warms up). I honestly don't know how much it has grown, maybe an inch or so at the most. Is this pretty normal growth for about a year? I'm guessing it grows the most in spring - I didn't have it last spring so haven't seen it in the spring yet. It didn't take off in fall, any growth has been steady the whole time, no growth spurts that I noticed. No new pups either, though it wouldn't have room and there are already 4 or 5.

Also, when I bought it from HD it was the healthiest looking one but still had a few callused cracks in the leaves. What causes that, drought?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growth habits

That is a common S.sansevieria trifasciata some don't come with yellow borders. Plants can crack their leaves when handled incorrectly when being delivered or if they dry out many other causes as well, don't let that worry you, you plant looks fine. I notice that your plant has a twist to the leave, or waves, so it could just be a sport or different clone, it is very attractive. Norma

o
RE: Growth habits

Thanks Norma! I like the waves too :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here