Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Knock knock, I'm repotting myself

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 13:48

This pup has shown up within the past few days, since this was last watered, guess that's why the pot had a strange bulge. Hope the new pot is big enough to keep me from knocking this plant over, as I've done about 5 times in the past couple months. I'm not sure it noticed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Knock knock, I'm repotting myself

I just did my first repotting of a sans today. I saw a couple of pups on mine, but didn't know if that was a new plant forming, or if it was part of the root system. I'm learning. lol

After repotting, are you supposed to wait a few days before watering?

o

Hey Sarah, if it was a fat white or greenish white thing, that's a pup. On my way out to repot another plant that got blown over while outside last weekend. Will take some more pup pics...

On the above little plant, I watered the root ball, then put it into fairly moist mix so I won't have to water it for a couple weeks. Hopefully that will help keep the soil from compacting as much as possible. When it stays loose and hole-y, the roots and pups have an easy time cruising through it and getting situated.

o

The orange part is rhizome. The white part is where it transitions to crown, then foliage.

o

Thanks for the pic! I now understand better how these plants reproduce. You are a gem, Purple! (guess that makes you an amethyst)

o

Purple,
Your sans looks to be a 'Whitney'. Way to go.
Also it is best not to water right after planting due to any root damage. It allows the roots to callous over to stop any rotting. Water in a day or two. But who am I to interfere with success.
Stush

o

Thanks, Stush! There was nothing to trim on that little plant, it was just potted up. The big one... I realized there really wasn't enough "dirt" out there to separate this to several pots so I just put it back in the pot after I took the pic.

Woohoo I'm an amethyst! Better than a diamond any day, IMO, thanks Sarah!

o

oh, I can't wait 'til it gets warmer here to repot new
plants. How exciting for you with new pup!

o

Great pic purpleinopp!! You need to teach that plant of yours about "family planning", LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here