Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Bantel's Sensation'

Posted by greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 14:15

Hello, Sansevieria growers!
I had the Bantel out for a good watering and fertilizing the other day, and snapped a pic. The leaves have continued to lengthen over the Winter, but certainly not as quickly as the growth during the prime Summer season. I've had to move the plant due to its increase in height...and I think a re-potting this Spring is definitely in order. Pot's lookin' small these days. How are the other Bantel's out there doing?

Josh

This post was edited by greenman28 on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 14:49

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Bantel's Sensation'

Good to hear from you Josh.
Sadly to say, I lost 2 of the 4 I had in that pot I posted. I figured my spot by the window was too cold. I moved them to a warmer brighter spot but it doesn't look good for them.
I did purchased some 6 of them on sale and they are doing well. I got 3 or 4 promised out so I still got 2 to restock my pot if they die.
I am hopping to get my one part of the cellar fixed up to winter over my plants in. If I get this done this year, I will be in good shape. Snake plants seem to do good under artificial lights. This room will also have my pet turtle and koi and gold fish.
Stush

o

Hey, Stush!
I'm glad to see you, but sorry to hear about the losses.
Spring's around the corner, and we'll be able to get these plants outside again.

Josh

o

More photos folks!! Mine is pining for nice weather.....but it is being kept under lights at my work this winter so is holding on ok. Photo from yesterday (Feb 4, 2013)

o

It looks so much like a variegated Iris I have in my garden!

o

Josh and Chris, Looking good. Mine not so good. I'll have to get a picture for you.
Laura, I had those but it soon reverted back to normal. They had yellow flowers. Do you have the same problem? I also had the yellow water Iris that also reverted back to normal. Seems I have no luck with varigated stuff. Darn. Darn. Darn.
Stush

o

My Bantel must not be happy with the amount of light it receives. It is a slow grower for me.

o

Nice pics!
Keke, how often do you water and fertilize?

Josh

o

Stush...my variegated iris gets medium purple blooms that smell like grape Kool-aid if you believe it.

Sorry to go off topic. :)

o

Josh, it's planted in a fast draining mix, and I probably water every two weeks or so in the winter. I could do better on the fertilizing though, perhaps that's my problem. What do you fertilize yours with?
Thanks, Nancy

o

Hey, Laura, who doesn't like that purple grape smell ;-)

Nancy, it looks like a fast mix, indeed. As lean as the mix is, it probably just needs regular
fertilization to get some excellent Summer growth. I use a liquid fertilizer called Foliage Pro 9-3-6.
It contains all the essential macro and micro-nutrients, so I don't have to supplement this or that
to get a full complement of nutrients to my plants. Available at hydroponic shops - although
any place that orders Dyna Gro products ought to be able to order it, as well. The question is, Will they.

I fertilize year-round, simply reducing the dosage during the Winter when I also water less.
These days, I'm using a 1/8 - 1/4 strength dose every couple weeks. During the Summer,
I'll typically fertilize at 1/2 strength.

Josh

o

Hey guys! Hope you're all great!

Josh, I need a yard like yours! It's beautiful! The Bantel's is looking amazing! Nothing Doonerish about it now!

Nice pics woodnative and greybird!

o

Josh, thanks for the tip! I noticed that Foliage Pro is available on Amazon. What I am using now is a different nutrient ratio, so I will switch and see if that helps. I wonder if it can also be used on my begonias, which are grown more for their foliage rather than their blooms?

Nancy

o

Nancy,
With a beautiful plant like that, Who's the say anything wrong. It is doing great and it will all of a sudden start puping all over the place. Just wait. I hear complaints about what to do with so many sans sprouting out and with yours, well I see no problems at all.
Laura,
What's off topic here? I forgot about the Iris pallida. For some reason, I can't grow this one also.
Stush

o

wow I like that the pictures.

o

Norma,
Good to hear from you. Hope all is well. How is your weather there? We are about to have another winter storm. Hope it misses us again.
Chris, Karen and Mike and a few others,
Look out for that big storm comming your way.
Stush

o

Hello Everyone... Boy Josh your Bantel's are looking mighty strong and robust and your still adding water and fertilizer durring these cold days?

I guess once the roots become established it's on provided they have well draining soil, right? Upon reading this article I added some fertilizer to mine too. Mine is also looking good but I think yours is far better looking than mine so far, at least the picture says it is. Good hearing the up dates and I'll send a picture soon.

Stush my man how you is ? Your Plants are always showroom quality and they look like there grown in the greenhouse, Yup that good, I'll have to take some lessens from you this year. Hioping all is well in your part of the world.

As for my neck of the woods I live nearby the area where some X POLICE OFFICER shot and killed another Officer and some other cops and some others durring a rampage last night and alot of the streets @ here are BLOCKED.

Glad to see some other names in the Garden nowadays I actually almost abandoned this Sanseveria site because it was almost a ghost town some days not even a tumbleweed was seen, No movement or anything, So welcome to the site Yall.

o

Hello Greg my man. Just watch yourself. Don't get shot. We will miss you very much.
Stush

o

Hey, guys.
Yessir, Greg, a very fast-draining soil that doesn't allow water to sit around the roots.
The growth on this Bantel has been superb, as far as Sans. growth goes...slow and steady ;-)
Stay safe and sound...maybe have a gun/weapon handy. I hear the manhunt is well underway.

We had some rain this morning, and the sun is trying to peek out now at the end of the day.

Josh

o

I think that this sans is going to be my favorite but don't tell the black coral!
Such a striking vertical pattern. The one I ordered from Hirt's is quite nice, and a full pot.
Excuse for being nosy, but is that your back yard?
Just amazing, if it isn't it's still amazing.
karen

o

Thanks, Karen, not nosy at all ;-)
Yeah, that's part of my back yard...the camera is pointing off to the right.
The fenced flower garden, and the green Stone Pine, are right along the boundary.
This is a nice time of year - everything's mossy, and the grass starts to grow again.

Josh

o

Josh

Well here she is all fit & trim, doesn't look at big as yours but she's coming along well don't you think, I added some company for get too.

Stush

I thought you had posted a pic last time I guess not, so how's it going I know its gotta be cold bro if its freezing here in sunny Calif.

Greg

o

Here it is sorry about that I thought I attached it above.

Greg

o

Ok, one more.

o

Hey, Greg!
I like that variegated Portulacaria afra. I keep a couple o' those, myself. They really hate spending Winter indoors here...leaf-loss is a given.

I should take a pic with something for scale, like a soda can. My Bantel's is only about 14-inches, I think. I'll double check.

I don't know these plants half as well as most here, but to my eye your plant looks dehydrated. Have you been watering frequently enough? If so, is it possible that some roots have rotted?

Josh

o

Yo! Josh, What size of pot is your plant in it looks like a 1gal. container. And oh yeah your back yard looks like a park which is nice, lots of room to grow and plant tons of cacti & succulents :)

My bantel is still in a small container about the size of a small coffee cup, as I thought they loved small quarters to live in, is that right?

Greg

This post was edited by hijole on Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 11:40

o

Greg,
You must be doing ok. Looks great to me. They are very slow growers. Remember our contest. Takes months to declare a winner. Well, again I'm a loser. 1/2 in my pot died. I do have 6 young ones still available due to putting them in a controlled environment. My 55 gallon fish tank. I got 4 promised out and the other 2 to replenish my stock. Next year, I got more fish tanks to keep them in. No more window seals.
Stush

o

Howdy, Greg and Stush!

What wonderful weather we're having. 60F's today, with a light breeze. Sweatshirt and shorts weather. I'm going out for a walk in a few minutes....thought I'd drop in with this pic that I took this morning. That's a standard coffee cup.

o

And a follow up...
this is where I tucked the plant for some brightly dappled shade today. Must remember to bring it back in tonight!

o

Josh, looking good bro. I think you won after all, seriously! I mean yours have more stocks as opposed to mine that lost stocks. oppps got to go... be back.

greg

o

Josh,
I love looking into your yard. Reminds me of my Grandma's farm. Takes me back 50 years. Thanks for the looking. And by the way, your sans looks great too.
Stush

o

Hey, we're all winners here ;-)

This Summer, I hope to see a few others experiment with a loose mix and regular fertigation. I'm fertilizing at 1/8 strength still, and I'll increase the dosage to 1/4 strength soon.

Alright, all the plants are back indoors now.

Josh

o

Still loving your yard. Here (high desert of CA) not too green with the cost of H20.
We have to be careful in summer with heat up to 110! Even in the shade.
Lots of plants do well. Some don't.
The spider plants deal well especially the solid green.
The sans get to stay indoors.
One year all the christmas cacti that were summering outside in the shade were ravaged by grasshoppers.
Now all have finally grown back healthy and green.
We didn't get the storm we were expecting...some rain and light snow.
Today georgeous in the high 60's without the 50mph winds!

o

Found one at Lowe's last night!

o

Oh, nice and thick and full! Great buy, Laura!

Josh

o

Laura,
Looks just like the one I purchased last fall. In fact it you remove it from it's pot, I'll bet you have 6 plants there.

o

Today I got out and shopped around my local nursery. Well, I was so tempted by two big pots full of Bantels Sensation. They were to die for! They were each in an 8 inch pot, and there must have been a dozen or more growths in each pot, hmmmm, maybe I should go back. They also had a number of sans that looked similar to masoniana. The leaves were really wide and had that mottled coloring. They were labeled as some sort of hybrid. They will grow to be huge.

Anyway, it was fun to look. I only bought some E. B. Stone Cactus mix and perlite.

o

Thought I would post an updated photo of my Bantel Sensation which has been brought back out doors for at least a few weeks now since the weather has been a little warmer, she looks like she's enjoying spring so far so being that its spring break I decided to snap a picture of her next to some relatives or other type of Sanseverias.

Stush, can you see the one you gave me? So far its just hanging in there, no new shoots or any growth yet but looking good, thanks again.

Also a lil moon shine to add some color.

Greg

o

Stush..yes! There was 6 plants in there. I potted them up together.

Greg, wow, your Bantel's certainly has grown! I didn't realize they got that tall.

o

LauraRobihaud, You know I was thinking the same thing the other day and you confirmed it too, it does look rather tall.

When I actually purchased this Bantel plant without even realizing it, it was just a cutting without roots (at all) I purchased it at the Pasadena Cactus nursery in S. calif. off the 210 Frwy. I brought it home to repot it thinking at that time that Bigger was better but soon found out that wasn't true, I was a little upset that it had No root system at all but it made it this far ok even though some of the prongs or stems died. It's about two years old at least since I bought it.

Greenman, When you get a chance lets see an update of your baby bantel that is lol...

Greg

o

Hey, guys and gals!
Greg, you got it. I'll snap a pic as soon as I can. I must say, yours really has gotten tall. Mine hasn't done much lately :-)

Josh

o

Gave it a thorough soaking, then set it below the table for some partial sun....

o

Look at what I found at Lowes'. Just like LauraRobichaud. I was going to pass it by at $12.98 but then I saw the bloom stock on one of them. They had 5 pots and I picked the one with the bloom stock.
I don't drink, Smoke, or do drugs unless my Doctor orders them. So what the hay. Got to have some vices.

o

LOLOL Stush! That's the way I look at it! Mine had spent blooms in it. Maybe I'll get it to bloom again myself. Too bad that white planter didn't have a hole in it. I actually like it. It's the reason this particular plant was so expensive.

Love your collection!

o

A bloom, no less!

I don't trust a man without vices... ;-)

Josh

o

Stush I just saw this. Great find!! That is one I had never seen bloom and looks like a very well grown and robust plant. I am like minded as you in my choice of vices, LOL!

o

Look what I got yesterday, I just couldn't resist. I already had a small Bantel's Sensation, but when I saw this one all grown up and lush, it had to come home with me. And I won't be putting it out on my front porch for the critters to nibble!

o

Wow, Wow, Wow. You go girl. I know it is old saying now. But it just took my breath away. I am afraid to go shopping now. I don't think I could pass by some thing like that also. Great find.
Stush

o

Hi Stush,

Yeah, I was excited to find it. Thanks. Has spring come to your neck of the woods?

o

Bmock, Stush is right, WOW! what a beautiful looking Bantel "S" , Ok just to cure my curiousity how much was that baby?

Greg

o

Hi Greg,

I did hesitate for a minute. It was 40.00, but worth it for sure. It's unusual to find the more collectible sans in this part of the country. We all know how slowly it grows.

o

Hey, ladies and gents!
That's a heck of a pot of Bantel's Sensation, Bmock!
Great purchase.

Josh

o

Bmock,

It's still a wowzer even at that price bcuz she's such a gorgeous looking plant, I think that's how that works lol... nice find I would have fell for her too!

Greg

o

So what's $40 for happiness. I just spent $130 for plants in Indonesia and so far, no plants or money back. They shipped without an Phyo-Cert and our USDA trashed them and sent me the empty box. So maybe I'm out or just don't know right now. They did have the most different sans I ever seen. And cheap too. Remember the old saying, 'If it looks too good to be true, it is'.
Stush
PS. if i get any thing, I'll post a new thread and show picts.

o

Stush,
I feel so sorry that happened to you. A big disapointment, I know. Sometimes those things happen with foreign orders.

o

Hello just checking in, So far mine are at a stand still, No progress to report about but she's looking healthy.

Until I see a new sign.

greg

o

Hey, guys and gals!
Greg, thanks for bumping the Thread back up :-)
Well, I noticed something yesterday with my Bantel....there is some serious root-growth happening! The pot is completely deforming on one side, which means that it is time to re-pot! I'll have to do it this weekend, asap. Apologies for the out of focus pic...

o

Josh, that usually means there's a pup pushing out the side of the pot! :)

o

Yep, I do believe so ;-)
Can't wait to re-pot.

Josh

o

L.R That's a good eye there Laura, I know Josh has got to be excited about that becuz that's what this whole thing is about Progress! :)

Josh, Very nice looking plants in the back ground too. I think I'll give my Bantel a closer exam too, hopefully my pots are twisting and bulging also with new growth.

Greg

o

Thanks, Greg! Most of my plants are outside now :-)

Josh

o

Memorial weekend, finally getting some things done.
I upsized the Bantel into a stiff plastic pot, but I have my doubts. Also, not as many roots as I'd hoped, but at least there wasn't a hint of rot. The upper portion of the mix was very dry, so I think I've been underwatering (even though the weather's cooled down over the past week). Took a few pics.

I'm not happy with the orientation of the pup, and would like your experiences and advice. I potted the plant, but haven't watered yet, so I can unpot and correct things if need be.

photo DSCN2876.jpg  photo DSCN2877.jpg  photo DSCN2879.jpg

o

Josh,
My guess is it's trying to go down then up away from the mother plant. I would leave it go.
Stush

o

Copy! Thanks, Stush, I'll leave it be.
I've seen pups come out drain-holes before...guess I'll chop it if that should happen. Weather took a turn for the cool and we're expecting rainshowers today...so it'll be watered soon.

Josh

o

Josh and Stush, My Sans Bantel continues to look strong but still remains the same at least above the soil, maybe I should try removing mine which I havent done for @ 1 year now lol.. at 1st I was transplanting almost every month, shoot I'm lucky it made it this far thanks to all the tips I received from all the garden web family, Thanks guys.

Greg

o

Hey, Greg!
Have you fertilized lately?

Josh

o

Hey there Folks,

Look what I recently received, that I just potted up. But I'm growing indoors only & expect it'll be slowish.

photo P1090423_zps7c1247fb.jpg

and more

photo P1090421_zpsd6c5ca4e.jpg

The small pots inside the larger are to hold these cuttings in place 'til their roots take.

a nice looking pair thanks Stush.

photo P1090424_zps1f0f20f9.jpg

Hey Josh,

Do these pix look small too? I'll have to check into that but some months ago I DID switch to a laptop (at home). I wonder if that could account for the difference (maybe different default for photo size?)

o

Hello, Karen! Nice plants, they are! Yes, these photos are small...about the size of a cell-phone in the Thread.

Josh

o

Thanks about the plants Josh. I haven't changed anything in my photo sizing, don't know what to think. I did see your earlier mention of the size of the pix, & it's similar to what I'm seeing as well.

o

I wonder if photobucket is automatically re-sizing the pics?

Josh

o

Josh, Sorry so late I'm a little hooked on fb lol... Actually I've been using Miracle Grow maybe you know of a greater miracle worker for these type of Sans.?

I'm willing to try anything,

And ah.. excuse me for and outa the sans site question. The Orchids, epidendrum "Poormans Orchid, I've tried the pine tree bark, fertilized with M/G and I'm starting to see some shoots springing up, I'm in at least 80 - to 90% full sun and I just can't seem to get these babies JUMP STARTED.

So my Question is what's next for me in my larning experience for this type of plant?

Sorry for the interuption on the Sanseveria site yall,

Greg

o

My bantel's sensation was ordered from hirts.com, unfortunately I wasn't able to heal the tall leaves and I had to trim several. :(

I'm lazy and use miracle grow fertilizing sticks. My living room isn't too bright, either. I'm already seeing new growth, so I guess this guy is alright.

o

Wow I cant wait till morning I will pick one up at lowes they are very nice.

o

Howdy, folks!

Greg, I use Foliage Pro 9-3-6 exclusively, which has calcium and other micros that most fertilizer formulas are missing. Do you have any fish emulsion? A mild dose of that might help things along.

I've been hooked on Facebook gardening groups, too...mostly chile peppers ;-)

Josh

o

Over the weekend, I noticed that the pup had finally found the sunlight :-) Evidence of new growth on the older rosettes, as well. The weather finally cooled off a bit....

o

Way to grow Josh! When you see pups, something must be right. I get new growth but pups mean you got good rooting system.

o

Thanks, Stush!

I'm pretty sure that this is the rhizome shoot that was pointing downward when I re-potted. Just as you and others advised...leave it be, and it eventually found its way back to the top. Took a while, though.

Josh

o

Finally! Something to report, I have a new shoot that has sprouted out of the ground and is looking strong and healthy, Good lord these have been quite a challenge to grow at least for me. I guess the most important thing needed for this Sans. is Patience and a lot of fertilizer.

Josh and Stush this whole experience with this plant has been enjoyable. Everyday when I walk out my front door it's there to meet me and durring the winter she sits in the kitchen window so we have come to be pretty good friends kinda of like walking with a slow pacer.

And need I say this, it's been mighty Hot out in in Southern Calif. and I'm about ready for winter at least fall.

Reporting from the heart of California with my Bantel Sensation update this is Greg A.K.A "Hijole"
Pictures are on the way.

Greg

This post was edited by hijole on Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 12:27

o

Hey, Greg! I thought we'd lost ya! ;-)
Yessir, it's been hot up here, as well...although we did have 70F weather and rain on Labor Day. Then we jumped back up the next day and have been laboring in the 90F's ever since. At least the Sansevierias are happy with these temps. Lookin' forward to them pics!

Josh

o

Good morning Josh, Lol.. actually I did get lost, in fb OH! Brother! So much time flies by as one steps into that social media before you know it the sun has gone down and there's no time left to take pictures or anything else. I'll place a couple this weekend tho.

Mine are looking good in spite of my neglegence towards them maybe thats what they needed was a little space to themselves.

Have a great weekend Josh.

o

Thanks, Greg, you too!
p.s. let me know how to find you on fb.

Josh

o

Josh, I'm at greg aguilera . No hijole on there lol.. But I'm on there so friend me and will be connected on there also if you'd like.

Well it's late out here so so I'm signing off tell tomorrow.

Greg

o

Greg, Josh,
Lucky guys. I had to bring in all my San. Collection. Took several hours. I got most in my basement on a new plant stand. Surrounded by mirrors and T-8 shop lights on top. Got to connect to a timer to complete it. Also my old 55 gal. fish tank is as full as can be with the smaller ones also with T-8 Shop lights. We has temps in the 40's again and can't take a chance with rotting. This has been the best summer I ever had. The whole 4-1/2 months of it.
This hobby is beginning to become work! I retired from work. This is an addiction. And no help to be found.
Stush

o

At least it's a healthy addiction, Stush ;-)
Greg, I'll friend you in a couple minutes...

Josh

o

...and of course, an update:

o
'Bantel's Sensation'

And another ;-)

o

Josh, Well heres the update from California, not a whole lot but shes holding her own now and the root system seems to be looking strong too.

I'm quite happy up to now however I have a new question about transplanting into a bigger pot, do I wait or just keep up the patience?

I'm ready to get this bantle to the next level with whatever it takes.

Stush, man your plants are always looking good, how did that American agave plant I sent you ever make out Just curious ?

Greg

o

Let me try that again right side up, yeah that's a lil better huh?

Stush, boy I'm sure sorry about that cold snap your experiencing out there in your country but then that's probly the way you like it tho.

I couldn't adjust to that weather of course I'Well that itve always been a city boy weathers got to be just the way goldie locks likes it, "just right" lol.

Well that's it for my pictures of the bantles if you don't mind me throwing up a picture of a nice species I ran across at "Rogers Gardens" over the weekend it's gunna follow this post.

It's just gunna be a picture

Greg

o

Well so much for right side up, I thought I corrected it sorry, anyway Josh this the plant I had mentioned to you the other day that I ran across at the HIGH DOLLAR NURSERY Called Rogers Gardens.

Greg

o

One last picture of this nice spices with very long stems.

Greg

o

Howdy, Greg, that is a very upright strange aloe(?) or hybrid perhaps? I'm not up on my Aloe varieties.
Have you been fertilizing your Bantel's? Mine is in a growth spurt, so I've been fertilizing every couple weeks when I think of it. I just use some leftover fertilizer mix when I'm finished with the citrus, and then I water it down significantly for the Sans.

Josh

o

Josh, I've tried to remember the fertilizer part every couple weeks at least, I remember, say I'm going to, get distracted and then off to something else lol... too much fun I tell you.

These plants did have another name I just referred to a aloe type because that's what I could compare it too, but it was a different spices all together.

Well it was a long day my business today so off to bed I go, Lights out!

Greg

o

There it is right smack dab in the middle of the of the pot, the new sprout in the pot.

The Sanseveria Bantel coming out this fall season, well almost fall, end of summer.

Greg

o

Hey, all!

Well, I hate to say it, but Summer vacation is over for this Bantel's. After a week of 40F temps overnight, I decided to bring the plant in. Not the best pic...but you can see the ghost of the greenman ;-)

Josh

o

That is a very beautiful and healthy looking Bantel's Sensation Josh :) My Bantel's which Stush sent me last summer is putting up new growth too, I will post a picture soon.

Our temperature here in the daytime: 65-70F and night time: 55- 60F. My Sans are all inside now but other succulents such as jades, aloes, echeverias,etc are still outside. In the next 2 days, we'll have 45F at night but real feel is 33F according the weather forecast. Do you think it's safe to leave my plants outside? (they are in gritty mix and I'm keeping them dry). I usually take them in when the temperature drop to 40F. Which should I follow? 45F or the real feel 33F? Thank you :)

o

Hey, thanks! Please do post a pic!
As for your other plants, I'd probably bring them in to be safe.
I've left my own houseplants outside because we only stay at 40F for a few hours, then the temps start climbing again. I've learned here at the Forum that Sans. prefer to stay warmer, so I brought this one in to keep that new growth growing.

Josh

o

Thanks Josh for the quick reply. I'm going to bring in the rest of my plants. I don't want to risk and lost my jades like I did 3 years ago. Will post my Bantel's later. Thanks again :)

Natalia

o

Good morning from California, Boy is it raining over here today which is a good thing But omg so much at one time please!

I have a question about my bantel, the leafs are kind of folding and was wondering what this might be causing this, i don't tyhink I've been giving her to much water any thoughts, I'll try to send a picture later on today.

Greg

o

Hi Greg,

Well, it's good to get some rain out there in California, but I hope you don't get washed down a hill!

I am guessing that your Bantels is thirsty. I think I almost killed my hahniis, just being too stingy with the water. I am going to step up the water a little bit now that it will soon be spring.

Barb

o

Greg,
Better sand bag those succulent beds. They will be swimming down the road. Very sorry that after waiting so long for much needed rain, you get it all at once and does more harm than good.
Are those Bantel's the ones I sent you?
Sans are like any animals. Need warmth, food , water & air. Are you using the griddy mix? You got to water more offer and feed them.
Are you using MG mix You got to watch the watering and don't feed them.
Most of all, bright light and warmth. Watch those temp. changes from day to night. Need pictures my man.
Stush

o

Barb, The rain is good but yeah but give me a break!
My succulents had better not head down hill :/ So you think she's thirsty huh, I was under the impression these guy's frowned on water but that's why I'm asking cause I wasn't sure, I guess I've been a little stingy myself and now with all the rain I could fix that problem, Thanks.

Stush, Lol.. I wish I lived high on a hill but I don't so I can rest assured there will be no lost of my babiesdurring this storm, But wow! the wind is blowing the Palm trees are bending sideways, it looks like a scene from the Wizard of Oz.
These actually arent the ones you sent meI was asking about their the ones I entered in the growing contest with Josh,"greenman" the ones you sent me are doing fine & there actually outside under a tree, go figure.
Sounds like I need to feed & apply more water and fine some griddy mix & some TLC. Pictures are forthcoming too.

Greg

o

Howdy!
Yes, we've sure had some nice rain! We got 3.5 inches from these two storm systems. Driving down I-80 to Sacramento yesterday afternoon was a hoot!

Anyhow, about that Bantel's.....check the roots. If they look healthy, water them. If they aren't healthy....trim the dead stuff, re-pot, and water in about a week (3 - 5 days).

Josh

o

Hey Josh, thxz, So just nip & clip the roots a bit will do the job today huh, sounds good will do, early today I added a lil fertizer and placed her outside to get a drop of fresh water, maybe she'll get a hair cut (roots) tomorow 0r monday.
We seem to be getting breaks in the rain today but its been a good change for us plus I refilled my rain barrels :) hoot, Hoot !!!

Pictures to follow,

Greg

o

A reprieve for us, as well! Cloudy, cool, and windy...in the 50F's, with occasional glimpses of sun and blue sky. Good ol' Californa ;-)

As for your Bantel's, only the trim the roots if they're dead - otherwise, don't cut 'em. If they look healthy, but dry, just drop 'em back into the pot and water. It sounds as though you're watering them naturally, so the leaves may perk back up on their own.

Take pics of what you find!

Josh

o

Heres a shot of the champ ! Lol... Hes looking a little under the weather today never the less he holds the title :)

Greg

o

How long has the tip been brown on that leaf, Greg?

Josh

o

Hi Greg,

Those succulents peeking out behind your Bantels, are just gorgeous!

o

Josh, funny you asked that, because just yesterday I noticed for the 1st time too and thought, HA! I wonder what that means...

So what does it look like doc? And I do appreciate your help Josh so thanks in advance.

bmock, thank you also, I really enjoy the many colors too such beautiful plants which turn so many different shades throughout the year almost like a new garden every season. Gotta love succulents.

Greg

o

Hey, Greg :-)
Brown leaf tips usually mean brown root tips (although there are sometimes other causes, such as heat or sun). Brown root tips usually come from too much moisture, too little moisture, or too much fertilizer in the mix.

Did the leaves perk up after a good rain soaking?

Josh

o

Hey Josh, Looks like I'm going to have to keep on eye out for either one of these causes, the leaves look healthy but still a little curled up i placed her in the sun for a couple hours the last few days then brought her back inside, and even sat her next to a lamp to get some light, not sure if that's a good thing or not I only mean well though.

Such a fussy little girl, she sounds like everythings gotta be just right just the way Goldie Locks likes it. Other than that all is well here Josh thanks for the tips and I'll keep a better account of what I'm doing as far as moisture, fertilizer , sun & heat.

Greg

o

Update on my Bantels curled leaves seems to be unfolding with the right amount of TLC water, fertilzer & the perfect amt. Of light, OMG... So fussy!

Greg

o

Here is mine spending winter inside army office.;

o

Nice THICK LEAVES I wished my were that full but maybe next year.

Greg

o

Here's my Bantels, just waiting to get outside in spring. I'm just waiting for spring too. :-)

o

Bmock, wow! Now thats one nice bunch of bantels, what size is your pot, Ive been of the understanding that they like tight quarters, is it a new day?

Nice batch of bantels.

Greg

o

Hi Greg,
Thanks, The pot is 8 inches, I measured and the plant is 30 inches from the top of the soil. It is filling the pot pretty full. I don't know if I should repot this spring, or let it go one more year. Must be a dozen or more in there.
I have a small Bantels too, and it has kind of wilted, I think the bigger plants do better over the winter. All the ones that have struggled are smaller.
I didn't quite understand your question, is it a new day? Maybe your spell check took over?

o

Hey! I agree with Greg, you guys have some nice batches of Bantel's! Very full pots.

Mine isn't doing much right now....although I could swear that the tallest leaf keeps getting taller. I can feel the rhizomes firm through the container sides, so I'm guessing that all is well and ready for Spring growth.

Here's a hasty pic I just took....that one browned leaf-tip was brown when I got the plant, so there's nothing I can do. All the other leaves are pristine. The tallest leaf is now 19-inches from the soil-line!

Josh

o

bmock, It's a new day referring to larger pots for the bantels, since I've kept mine in tight quarters. But today I repotted mine going to a slightly bigger pot (slightly) bigger clay pot instead of plastic, I can hardly wait for mine to grow that size.

Josh as you read I repotted mine the roots all looked good and healthy they were long to so I just coiled them up & into a new pot with new soil and hopefully she'll be happy for a while. Your are looking very robust for doing nothing and your other plants R looking good too.

Greg.

o

Thanks!
More sunlight now and these succ's are seriously happy! I took a bunch of them onto the back deck and watered with rainwater today. Even the Bantel is sitting in some warm shade :-)

Josh

o

Barb,
Yours is to die for. I wonder how long it will tank ours to get like that.
I got two flower stocks thur winter but they were nothing to wright about. I don't think the flowers even opened. They do more harm than good for the plant. With so many, I didn't even loose one. I did get a few pups so I am happy.
Greg, I like looking around your pictures at all the other nice plants you got, same as Josh.
Stush

o

Stush,

Bantels Sensation must be one of the favorites around here. 120 posts on this thread!

I just got lucky to find this big ole plant sitting there at the nursery, tempting me. I see from my first picture that I bought it in April. It has been living inside the house ever since. It made some good new growth last year, then later on lost 2 or 3 leaves. Seems to be happy for now. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

o

Chris, sorry I blew right by your post. Yours is filling out just fine. It is old? Can you leave it in that pot for awile? Good hearing from you. Spring got you up?
Stush

o

Hi All,

Been watching from the sidelines, all these Bantel's are sooooo nice, & Barb(B Mock) I've been just swooning over yours, that full pot you've shown! I just love the aesthetic of the white stripes, I could look at it all day long!!!

Are latecomers allowed in? Here's my TWO different Bantel's: one from Stush & one from my Local Gardening Society.

From Stush

photo P1100778_zps9b1c6260.jpg

Was hard to get good shots that showed the striping well

photo P1100777_zps1f9a7938.jpg

Look how pretty

photo P1100776_zps2242fd0d.jpg
Thanks Stush, this is one of 2 divisions you shared, the other didn't make it. This one finally seems to have settled in & is taking off (new center leaf).

The other, only have it a couple of months.

photo P1100775_zps130b803e.jpg

in a NY kitchen (west exposure)

photo P1100774_zps1b59cfd9.jpg

Last one, I like the white

photo P1100773_zpsce87d712.jpg

Happy almost Spring everybody!

o

Hi Karen,
Thanks for sharing, you have quite a few Bantels. I enjoyed peeking around behind them to see their neighbors. I can't take credit for growing my Bantels, I just got lucky one day and found it waiting for me in the local nursery. I have had it for a year, and it seems healthy.

Remember the haworthias and jungle cacti you shared with me? The liminifolias are growing and getting plump and I can almost see a spiral starting to show. There is a new leaf shooting up from the cacti cutting. Spring can't be far away! How are the little hoyas coming along?

o

Ok... So today I have transplanted my Bantel, New dirt & a little bigger pot (a little) I didnt add any water just yet because I want to get her used to her new home. She does look comfortable and a lot more sturdy too, the little pot before was way to light and last week.while sitting in the east window the wind blew her out & into the sink :/ lucky there was no dish water.

Greg

o

Update of the repotting into a bigger pot, the other one I believe was too small seeing it kept on tipping over even without a cause ( no breeze) its been only about 3 weeks but its looking very happy.

Greg

o

Today we had some 30 mph winds that knocked over my bantel good news is she just got shaken up but I think she'll be fine. No new growth to talk about yet, so until then adios

Greg

o

Greg,
Looks like you need to find a container that's heavy enough to sit your plastic pot in!

Planto

o

Planto, I agree, We get a little breeze and BAM it trips right over Sheesh!!!
Never the less it seems to be doing fine.

Greg

o

The latest stage for my Bantel Sans. It hasn't grown much only looking stronger .

Greg

o

Nice! I should take mine outdoors for some of this warm weather.

Josh

o

You done a great job on that plant Josh. Something to be proud of. Mine are doing great also. Some even bloomed. Still got some to gift out.
Stush.

o

Hey, thanks, Stush, that means a lot coming from you Sans. specialists! :-) I took my Bantel's out to the back deck, and I have it in the shade of a patio umbrella. I thoroughly flushed the potting mix, and I'll fertilize later today when the afternoon cools off a bit. In the meantime, a little update....

Josh

o

Josh, Yes your Bantel is looking very robust & healthy, Mine has also filled out and I must say I still can't wait for it to fill in so that I have a full pot 0r two. Slow has definetely been the pace for this race. Goes perfect for this site on Sans which is a little ironic but fitting.

Have a nice day and I think tomorow I'll splash some fertilizer on mine and see if I can't kick start this baby.

Yo Stush What's up , Hoping your snow has become a memory and that the sun is shining bright in your area

Greg

o

High Summer Greetings! It has been hot, hot, hot up here in the northern California foothills! I've been watering and fertilizing regularly, and the Bantel's is lookin' good. Here's an update shot of the plant....

Josh

o

...and yes, indeed, that's a flower spike :-)

Josh

o

Josh,
What a fun time we had with this post. Thanks for reawakeing it.
Stush

o

My pleasure, Sir, my pleasure!

Josh

o

Josh, yours is looking very healthy, every time I think about mine I think
F E R T I L I Z E R... I need to step it up on feeding mine, I have him outside with the big boys since the weather has been nice. I'm still waiting for it to take off and fill out tho, what about perlite that would help some to right? lately I've been using more of it, I think because I've been reading pirate girls posts about the importance of it for drainage.

Stush what does your bantel look like nowadays ? I'm sure it looks fine since you have a thing for Sanseverias, let us see a picture when you have a chance.

Greg

Hey Josh, I tried responding on fb earlier and I was unable so I jumped on here as plan B.

o

Josh, WOW!... I looked at the picture again an realized I forgot to mention your blooms, That's awesome bro I think you have taken over the lead my man, That fertilizer has paid off wonderfully for you. That's it I'm adding some to mine right Now!

Your green vines are looking mighty nice too, are those grapes or what are they?

Greg

o

Thanks, Greg! Blooms were the last thing I expected when I put it outside a month and a half ago :-) But I'm pleased! Yes, fertilizer is essential when we're watering as much as we have been.

Those leaves in the pic are from my Liquidambar tree.

Josh

o

They all look great. Maybe I should get my bantel's outside.
I have the cylindricas outside and several others.
They seem to enjoy the high heat and frequent watering.
All are sprouting lots of offsets.
Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here