Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorrr_gw

Sans cylindrica spear yellowing from top down

lorrr
11 years ago

Hello all. I am a brand new member, though for years I have learned so much by all you knowledgeable people. Like so many of you, I have a passion for plants specifically sansevieria species. I would love someone to help me with a recent problem with one of my many cylindricas. One of the spears is yellowing from the top of the spear down. The spear at the bottom is not soft and no sign of rot is noted. Should I cut off the affected part and coat the cut with cinnamon? What might have caused this? Please advise. I would greatly appreciate any response.

Comments (11)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Sorry for your trouble. I am unknowable on Cylindrica. If it was mine. I would wait and see. a few brown or yellow doesn't brother me. As long as the plant is healthy.

• lorrr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your reply. I will wait and see.

:)

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

Lorrr,

I had this happen to a few cyclindrica-like species after the fall. I left the plants out slightly too long and they were cold damaged. The yellowing stopped at some point, I cut the effected area, and the plants have kept the leaves, although damaged.

It is possible... possible... that the leaf is senescent. Old leaves eventually die... eventually. Of course, there are all the other reasons that are equally possible: too much or too little water, poor root system, cold near a window, one reason that is NOT likely - insects.

Michael
    Interlaken NY Z6

• lorrr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Michael. I appreciate your time, energy and knowledge!

• hijole
    11 years ago

Lorrr, I recently received my 1st Cylindrica this past summer from a member here who was so kind to offer a couple of starters and so far mine is coming along really well, it has taken root and getting stronger and stronger.

I do however live in zone 9 which is Sunny California :)

What Zone are you from ? Lately it's been dipping down to about 28 degrees which is cold for my neck of the woods but my point is my plants are outside and they are still looking healthy.

Other than the rain water that's all they've been getting for about 3 months which means they've been getting wet but rain water and tap water is two different stories altogether up here.

So what Zone are you in and can you send some pictures, they always tell a story, or do they paint one Lol...

Greg

• lorrr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the response! I am embarrassed to say I do not know what zone I am in however I do know I live on Cape Cod!!! LOL. I would send pictures along but as I write this I am on vacation in Isla Mujeres! So beautiful and we are lucky to be missing yet another winter storm on Cape Cod that is supposed to be taking place tonight/tomorrow.

I will try to send a picture once I get back but have never done so, so I can't promise.

Thank you again for taking the time to help me with this.

Lorrr

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Lorrr,
    Most garden web sites like Dave's Gardens, have 'what's your zone'. Type in your zip and it gives you yours zone. Some one here may know the exact site to find it.
    Stush

• jduren
    11 years ago

New to the spear and skyline. Only had a few months. How much and how often do you water the spear?Location and light in the house?...Jack

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

Hello JD,

Welcome. Lots of light will give you the best growth. It doesn't have to be IN the south facing window, but mine are. Especially in Northern latitudes, they can take winter sun in a Southern window. I cut WAY back on water during the winter, maybe only once a month December through February. Then, every two weeks until they go outside after frost. If they start to desiccate, I water more, but a heathy cylindrical leafed plant going into winter should take quite a while to start to shrivel. That goes for all the fatter leaved ones too. Trifasciata types and like species are much more prone to wilt than others. Just a few thoughts...

Michael
    Interlaken NY Z6

• lorrr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all! Greg, I am in zone 7. Michael, all my cylindricas are in my sunroom which receives bright light throughout the day. It is faily cool in there in the winter. The frequency in which I water them is very similar to yours however, I water about once a month more like November to March. Of course I do water more frequently the rest of the year.

I have not a clue how to post a picture and unfortunately the next week will be crazy since I will be back in school. I will do so as soon as I have some time.

In addition, I did not cut the spear. The spear is still not mushy so I am almost positive it is not overwatering. The yellowing is however, continuing farther down the spear. I will cut it and apply the cinnamon as planned.

Thanks again for all your insight, since it is greatly appreciated.

Lorrr

Just

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

Lorrr, my experience with them is that ones outside getting no rain, and growing on a north side of my garage with a double 2 ply plastic roofing is doing better then in my make shift green house? with a heater, I am losing many leaves at the soil line not from the top down, but not a one from the outside plant, the will pop back up in the spring. That was my experience when I was a volunteer at the Hunting Gardens, the leaves turned the color of a paper bag and also felt that way. I am talking abouut 100 flatss with 9 pots in each. Leave them alone don't water the rest of the winter, and in April or May when ever you weather turns to Spring, and you see new growth water and fertilize. Then water heavly the rest of the year until it turns cold again, mine flower this time of the year.