Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spike_test

Snake Plant Help!!

Spike_Test
13 years ago

I recently purchased a snake plant (of the hyacinthoides variety) I brought it into my apartment and placed it on a bench near a window in an area of low, indirect light.

Many of the leaves on this plant are bright green and fresh looking but I noticed that some of the darker leaves had begun to brown and shrivel up near the base a few days after I brought the plant home. Some of the leaves shriveled so badly at the base that the upper region of the leaf was completely cut off from its roots and began to droop over. I cut two of these leaves off near the base (thinking that it might help save the remaining plant). However, each day, I have noticed that some of the other darker leaves seem to be shriveling up in a similar fashion near their bases.

I've had snake plants before and have never had a problem with them. I watered this one thoroughly upon bringing it home and allowed ample time for the water to drain out before placing the pot back on its tray.

Does anyone have any idea why the older leaves of the snake plant have begun shriveling up near the base? Is it perhaps a light issue, a watering issue, or are they maybe just old? I really would like to save this plant if at all possible so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Comments (7)

• Spike_Test
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• plantsplus_qld
    13 years ago

Looks like a water and cold problem - if the roots rot you will loose the plant. Do not water this plant during cold weather. Allow it to dry out completely. Maybe even take it out of the pot and repot into new soil and leave until warmer weather before watering again. Lack of water seldom kills Sansevieria too much water often kills them. As I am not in US cannot comment on best treatment of these plants during your winter. Read this forum there may be details of how others in US overwinter their plants - maybe cellar is better than heated appartment. Good Luck

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Plantplus you are correct on all accounts. Do not water from the top, the soil, must be dry at the top, it needed warm water if you start to water when it warms up. If the glass window is cold and your plant is near that cold and it gets a draft on the lower part of the leaf this is what happens. The soil must be mostly pumice or perlite with coarse sand and only 10% organic matter. Check out that soil, this is still winter in let it dry out and wait until good weather and light before watering it again, remember all San. species are not snake plants they all have Latin names and there are many differences, look at Jeff's plant, and you will understand what I'm talking about, this is still winter in WA and it probably needs more light, not next to a window, where it can get cold. No matter what do not toss it out. Let it dry out for a month and rewater in June. I have already gone through this experience on a very large scale. Norma

• Kathleen Majcher
    12 years ago

Miss Norma, Is there any chance you would write a book? I would sure buy it! I love your comments and observations.

• aviolet6
    12 years ago

how much light do these need? I have a variageted one and it just sits there. it is under bright flourescent lights but they may not be on long enough. I moved to a house with windows, so I have more options for it now. which window setting would be best? I have everything but west.

Tricia

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Tricia,

Variegated plants tend to need more light than. These aren't necessarily high light plants, I wouldn't have put them under florescent lights.

I also don't keep mine on the window sills unless I'm propagating them. My windows are all west, strong afternoon light, might burn the plants.

If I were you I'd experiment w/ the NEAR but not AT the windows. Also, pls. remember to expose them to the stronger light gradually lest they burn.

• aviolet6
    12 years ago

Thanks, I will try your advice. The tag with the plant said "bright light," which surprised me too as I had one years ago that sat in a corner near a window and did great without a lot of light. of course, I didn't have good window light this time, but I just moved, so have more options now. Wish me luck : )

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio