Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kurfsec

Help with ID/Care!

kurfsec
11 years ago

I'm pretty new to gardening and plants in general, but I'm trying to build up my knowledge to construct an inventory so I can correctly care for everything! This poor thing I believe is some sort of sans? The brown edges look terrible and I'm not sure what could be causing it. Overwatering? Underwatering? Lack of drainage? It does have some new growth coming from the center, so I don't think it's actually dying. Advice, please!

This post was edited by kurfsec on Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 16:14

Comments (5)

• kurfsec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm not sure if that first photo came through, so let's try these.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Kurfsec

Yes, I do believe it's a Sans. tho' don't know which.

Could we see the bottom of the container pls? Does it have a drainage hole? If not you can expect trouble.

I'm not great w/ IDs on these, but it'd be helpful if you showed a pic of the entire plant, that is full height as the growth habit helps us w/ IDs. I like the color & the variegation.

I have never seen the drying outer leaves like that, it does suggest thirst to me.

What kind of mix is that & how often are you watering it pls.

• Michaela
    11 years ago

This plant looks like it has been abused. Why are some of the leaf tips missing? Has it been in the cold? Perhaps it has been brought outside too soon in the spring after having been inside the house for the winter? The new leaf I see looks fine. The dried leaves will never regain their former glory.

• kurfsec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No abuse, only neglect. It's been in an uninhabited corner and hasn't been moved in at least a year. Breaking a cardinal rule of sans, no drainage holes and just generic potting mix. Scotts maybe? It was potted that way a few years ago before I knew any better. Gets watered at best, once a month, when I remember it. I was really wondering if the brown tips are from overwatering or underwatering? Maybe too close to a heating vent?The soil never seems bone dry when I do remember to water.

What do you recommend doing to save the center/new leaf? Is there a way to separate the outer, dying leaves and keep the new one without harming it?

Thanks! And thanks for not criticizing, I am here to learn after all!

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

If you want to keep it and make it look good. You must repot it into a propper pot with drainage and use a good fast draining mix like cactus mix with perlite 1/2 and 1/2. There are several other mixes you could use but I find this the easist to use. Also in time the outer leaves will start to die off one by one. If you rush it, you may do more harm than good. I agree with Mike, The have the look of abuse. As for ID, they look just like my Sansevieria trifasciata Black Futura 'Goldedge' below.