Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stush49

Seedling of Mike's Silver Blue

Mike just sent me some berries of his S. kirkii Silver Blue.
The seed/berries were smashed thru the mail but one seed survived. Not all barries have seeds in them. Don't know how many Mike sent me. Pictures of how I received them;

Then washed the one seed.

Picture of seed in it's temp. home untill it sprouts;

Picture of ripping seeds on Mike's Silver Blue;

And again if you missed Mike's flowering Silver Blue;

I'll keep everyone updated with progress.
Stush

Comments (13)

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

Stush! Fantastic. Thank you for putting together the show of pictures. Thank you Mike, for sharing them too. How great to see that plant being propagated from seed.

Michael
    Interlaken, NY Z6

• laura1
    11 years ago

thanks for sharing photos.
    this may sound like a stupid question but...do the barries contain more than one seed? Do I bust open the berry to get the seed/s out? I was just going to plant the whole berry.

• menschenjaeger
    11 years ago

I'm not sure that's S. sp. "SILVER blue." It doesn't look much like any of the plants I've seen with that name (including mine). Take note also of the shots by Ruiz in the following GIS https://www.google.com/search?q=sansevieria+%22silver+blue%22&hl=en&lr=&source=lnms&tbm=isch&tbs=qdr:y&sa=X&ei=8f0sUZ_zLvCJ0QHmsICgBg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1252&bih=863 where they are finally heading toward the mature form - the bright colors and contrast of the more mature leaves is encouraging!

-Dave

- Dave

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

There's been some discussion about Mike's plant on the other list. It is a plant showing mature foliage and looks quite different from juvenile growth. If you keep dividing the plant, it appears to keep the juvenile form. If you allow it to continue undisturbed it grows into this form.

Michael
    Interlaken NY Z6

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura,
    I did reply to this post. Unknow why it is not here?
    Any way. Not all berries will have a seed. You will have to clean the friut off the seed. Make sure the friut is ripe. This could cause rot. I don't know if it needs a drying season. I am using it fresh.

• menschenjaeger
    11 years ago

> Mike

Right, right, but mature "silver blue" foliage doesn't look like that. Here, dig this http://www.flickr.com/photos/35861132@N06/5206183023/ and http://www.flickr.com/photos/35861132@N06/5206777800/in/photostream/

THAT'S sp "silver blue."

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

Holy Hat! That is lovely!

It is *possible* that it really is the same plant. Andy's plants, being grown in Thailand, have a few advantages to Mikes being grown in his temperate stateside climate. So it makes me wonder... but Andy's plant sure it EXQUISITE!

Michael
    Interlaken NY Z6

Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave,
    Alone with Mike, area is a big difference in getting full color but not knowing all the facts, is it the same species? La Forest plant is S. kirkii 'Silver Blue' not S. 'Silver Blue' or 'Blue Bat'.
    Stush

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

And it certainly not the same as; mine. 'Mine was given to me as 'Blue Kew' but I will not put that name on it until I see the flower. Even the young new leaves; don't look like that plant. Sorry. But I am certainly not going to lie to make every one happy. Norma

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

My new young leaves come pruinose v. light blue glauca I have repeated this 12 times least and have shown pictures. What more am I supposed to do when the group ignores what I am saying and showing. I don't know what the other plant is I don't have a blue S. kirkii v blue and mine may be an entirely different plant and I hope it is. I believe I found out what my plant is, did any of you ever researched in a book, which one please what is your point of reference? I just looked in The Splendid Sansevieria B. Juan Chahinian I have all of the books I know of in my book collection (Including 3 from Thailand. l I've looked in all of them including the San. Jouurnal quote you references please. I now know what mine is the measurements match. I still will wait for it to flower to be sure. Norma

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

I spent the evening to see if I can find any thing regarding this plant, I have three books from
    Thaland and 6 approx. from the U.S. I have the journals, and so far have found nothing. I did find a plant that meets the ID that it could be, I will check with John Gamesby, still no flower spike, which is the proper way of identication. Keep tuned in for report when it flowers. I do think I know what it is however thank goodness for my library. Norma Lewis

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

If harvested too early the seed may not be fully mature. The should be the size of pea (sweet pea) after you take off the orange, red or yellow stuff on the outside. You can feel how big they are gently press the pulp. Some produce two seed in a capsulel side by side this you can see. l
    I let my seed then dry out and plant with the mother plant,I do not bury them. It may take a year or more to germinate. I had some come up two years ago that fell down into a pot below, and I couldn't see where they fell.
    It took the two years for them to germinate, it may have been a weather thing. Norma

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Norma,
    Mine is in an almost dry but hi humid container. It has bottom heat and bright light most of the day. I didn't let it have a dry spell. It is too late to disturb it now. I have good luck with seeds and I hope my luck is not out on this one. As soon as something happens good or bad, I will post an update.
    Stush