Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonshinermd

Possible Sans?

moonshiner
15 years ago

(I posted this in the cacti/succulent forum and it was suggested I try here!)

I recently inherited a large number of succulents and cacti most of which I have been able to identify. But this odd little guy has me stumped. I wonder if anyone here might be able to help me.

{{gwi:496274}}

It's leaves are now almost one foot long. They grow from the base of the previous leaf. It has been in mostly full sun, about 4-5 hours this time of year. I'm not sure if it is liking it or not, but it has started to grow new leaves. Also, the bottom-most section recently sent out a stout air-root. After it was accidentally broken off I potted it up in good cactus soil and have left it un-watered for about a week. The portion of the new plant that was previously connected is not in the soil. Just the base of the plant and the air root.

Excuse the picture quality. The only digital camera I have is on my phone.

Many thanks!!

Mike

Comments (16)

• moonshiner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, after some intense research it looks like I may have a sansevieria cylindrica. However, none of the many pictures I have found show the downward curved offshoots like mine, nor does any of the literature I've read mention the thick, pencil like root that comes of the base of the offshoot. See the left side of this slightly different view.

I do think I will start the cutting in a little less light and see how it does in comparison.

Any and all advice is welcome!

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

I too had thought Cylindrica, but I think they're more a group than an individual type, tho' I could be wrong abt that. Norma may know better on that score than I.

Also, the Cylindricas I've seen grow more in rosette forms than how you've described that the leaf comes out of the base of another leaf.

I've got a couple of cylindrica types myself, tho' mine have ridges along the outer edge of the leaves, which yours don't seem to. Yours seem to have what's called a channel on the inner side of the leaves (another identifying feature).

'Til Norma comes by, if you haven't already, pls. try to download the book by Hermine Stover, which while not new is still pretty good. There aren't lots of books on Sans., so hers is still quite a good place to start & tought me a lot.

• Mentha
    15 years ago

It looks like a walking sans. Try San penguicula on for size.

• moonshiner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Perhaps a walking cylindrica? Is that a possibility? It does seem to have the properties of Sansevieria penguicula, yet the leaves are less triangular, and definitely not as full.

I have repotted one of the offspring with the projecting root/stem in the soil and the base of the plant just below the soil. I left the portion of the plant that was connected to the mother above ground and to the side.

All comments are welcome!

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

Sorry, I made my latest comments refuting the ID of Pinguicula on the other thread. Pls. go there & read -- short version, I've owned Pinguicula, I don't believe this is one.

I'd suggest an image search for Pinguicula, has a sort of regal apearance that this does not, also grows in more of a stacked rosette form. Just my opinion, having owned & grown some, both mature & juvenile forms.

Still beautiful, whatever it is!

• moonshiner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Getting closer. Just received an email from another source stating he believes it is sansevieria suffruticosa. And from the many pictures and descriptions I have found since, he may well be right.

So for now, that's how I'll label it. But I'm always open to discussion.

Thanks all!

Mike

• nigell_gw
    15 years ago

How big is the pot this plant is in? And can you give an estimate of the length and diameter of the leaves?
    Trying to get an idea of the size of the plant.
    Thx
    Nigell

• Mentha
    15 years ago

Are you sure it's Sansevieria suffruticosa? Here are a few pictures of mine. Mine is in a 10 in pot and is about 2 ft tall and the larger fan spans about 3, if that helps. It does not have any pups to compare.

Bloom stalk (Taken yesterday)

{{gwi:79443}}

{{gwi:79167}}

A few close ups

{{gwi:1248292}}

{{gwi:1248293}}

{{gwi:75177}}

Whole plant before it was potted into it's new home yesterday.

{{gwi:72570}}

• moonshiner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, I'm not sure about anything. But after receiving Carls' email, I checked out Dave's Garden and found these pics.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/51346/

Very close, and I attribute the lack of color in mine to the fact it was kept in a mostly sunny spot with agaves and cacti before it came to me. I think with a little time in indirect light the colors may deepen.

Maybe.

• moonshiner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nigell-

The pot is 8", the longest leaf is 21" and the average diameter at the base of the leaves is 1".

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

Sans IDs can be soooo confusing. You seem to feel you're closing in it.

Saddens me to say here in NYC, I've seen 2 or 3 totally different looking Sans referred to as Suffruticosa, including some w/ spoon-shaped rather than cylindrical leaves ... sigh

• dufflebag2002
    15 years ago

I also believe it is a San. suffruticosa, because of the new growth branching from the top of the soil, and from between the nodes of the leaves and size of the leaves. Which variety I don't know.The plant will grow very fast and large. It is common because it grows rapidly. Norma

• norma_2006
    15 years ago

There are many sub. species of S. suffruticosa, There are at least 6 different species, that can pass for suffruticosa depending on how large the picture comes over on the PC Now if you want me to send the names to you I will, none of us are experts here, depending where they are found. Mine is from Ron LaFon it is a very large variety. There is also a smaller lighter color one 'Frosty Spears' it will not get huge I don't think. So keep looking for more varieties, or sports. Norma

• moonshiner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks you so much, Norma. Feel free to send me any info you have. I have changed the way I care for it now that I know it's a sans. It used to be in strong direct light all day with a succulent watering schedule. Now it sits in partial shade with almost no water at all. It definitely likes the new regimen, with the leaves colors coming back slowly. It has not, however, grown much save for the new leaf that was already starting. The piece that was re-potted separately is doing fine as well. I don't expect the baby to do much growing until it develops a decent root system.

• yong_ching
    15 years ago

I ever find like this one named as S. 'Wangala Station'.

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

If it were mine I wouldn't withhold water. They definately need water, esp. as we go into the hotter months (tho' I can't tell where you are located).

That may be why it's not growing much.

Could you pls. explain what you mean by a "succulent watering schedule"?