Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Sans!

Posted by Enterotoxigenic00 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 21:58

New sans I recently bought and received from DH
Dark sans..black coral? I purchased as WM for
only $13.38. Lighter sans is ? DH bought second
sans for an early V. Day present. How did he know?
lol
If anyone has the proper names for me please let
me know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Sans!

I bought Black Coral last week, and it looks like your plant on the right. The name on my pot says Sansevieria Black Coral. The store had a second sans and the variety name started with Z. I didn't buy it, so I can't recall the name, sorry. :-/

I'll paste the link to the thread with my picture of Black Coral. Scroll down, it's not a great picture.

Lennie

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Coral and Jade Dwarf Marginata

o

Enterotoxigenic,
Welcome and those are some wonderful grown plants. Their names are; Sansevieria trifasciata and Sansevieria trifasciata 'Black Coral. Some times some nurseries uses ZELYANICA. It is disputed and may be to another group. Unknown why. Maybe some one here may add to this.
Stush

o

Found on web.
"Most plants sold as Sansevieria zeylanica are S. trifasciata".
From; http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/foliage/folnotes/sansevie.htm

o

Stush2049
Thanks for the reading material.
After reading the article, does this mean that the lighter one will darken after time?

Learn something new everyday...even when I don't want to.

o

Well ET, mine sure did. Some are almost green/black. The new growth is normal and looks great together. Mine are very old.
Stush

o

Stush, start from a leaf a hybrid and it will revert to the mother plant, then you will know what it is from. You may be surprised what comes up. They need warmth to start, however I do mine in July -Sept. Give it a try you have nothing to lose but may gain a new species. Norma

o

Hello Norma.
I did just that many times when a heavy varigated yellow edged leaf broke off. All I ever got was trifasciata plants which I had to find homes for. Was over come with plants. You can buy nicer bigger plants in the big box stores than it would cost to sent to people.
Stush

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here