Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malleeaustralia

News Sans fan from Australia

malleeaustralia
14 years ago

G'day all - hope everyone is well.

I have always had and enjoyed what I now know are Sans for a while and am now looking at expanding on the collection. Bromeliads are my main love in the garden at the moment and so whilst checking out the Brom forum here I thought Id see if there was a Sans forum too and wel... here we are.

Assuming they are all Sans (not sure about the one in front right?) the four plants below are the only four varities I have at the moment I am but looking forward to getting more and learning about the genera.

Are there many Sans collectors from Australia here? My local nursery is rather lacking is Sans so if any Aussie collectors have any plants/cuttings they'd be interested in selling or trading I'd be very interested and appreciative in hearing from you via email.

Happy Gardening!

Kristan

{{gwi:483192}}

Comments (8)

• nabara_seki
    14 years ago

Looks like you actually only have one Sansevieria.

The two in the middle are Gasteria and the one up front looks like Haworthia attenuata.

• malleeaustralia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Haha - I DO have a lot to learn! Cheers. Looks like I'll also have to look into the world of Gasteria as it was those two plants that originally caught my attention. Still, getting them wrong has lead me to discovering the world of Sans so all isn't lost!!

cheers
    Kristan

• nabara_seki
    14 years ago

I neglected to add that they all look nicely grown as well.

Be sure to check out the C&S forum if you want IDs on the Gasterias...they're very helpful over there.

• malleeaustralia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again - Im guessing that the Sans is a Trifasciata ? - Is just labelled as Sansevieria Hybrid from the nursery.

I can't take too much credit for them being nicely grown - they are obviously hardy which is what I like about them but thanks.

Kristan

• hadrian
    14 years ago

the Gasteria on the right, in the terracotta pot looks like G. verrucosa. the other Gasteria is anybody's guess. i can be one of many different species. the Sansevieria is trifasciata Laurentii. and the Haworthia does look like attenuata. although, i honestly can't tell the difference between H. attenuata and H. fasciata.

and welcome to the world of Sansevierias. i collect all the main genera, but Sansevieras are my current favorite.

Bri.

• malleeaustralia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Many thanks Bri. I'd love to see any pics you or others may have of yr Sans collection.
    Kristan

• stephania
    14 years ago

Welcome Kristan (^_^)"

Beyond succulents, I saw you keep bromeliads too, do you keep Dyckia,
    a xerophytic succlent bromeliad which I've heard it's also popular down there.

• malleeaustralia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Stephania and thanks for the welcome.

Yes, the broms are my main love but have a general interest in foliage plants, and since the broms have got me back out into the garden more lately I am also rediscovering my succulents. Ive had the Gasteria and a few other cacti/succulents for a while but was recently drawn into the world of Sans due to their dramatic foliage.

I don't yet have any Dyckia Broms actually (soo many broms to get!!!) but I will definetely have to add some to the collection as a nice medium between the broms and succulents. I just wish I the plants I am drawn to didn't have such ouchy spines!

Kristan