Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imjustgil

WANTED Sansevierias with cylindrical leaves, similar to pencils.

imjustgil
18 years ago

I'm only interested in species plants with cylindrical leaves, not flat lance shaped leaves. I have other C&S plants to trade. Very small offsets are fine.

Thanks,

Gil

Comments (13)

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

Gil if you want to trade I have those that you would like, I also want other species that I don't have at this time.
    Norma Email me privately please.

• aseret
    18 years ago

HI...saw the message about the cylindrical leaf sanseveria...very unique,,I was wondering if you have the name of this sanseveria...A friend of a friend gave me 2, 2" cuttings from the tips...I have them planted now for about 4 months with nothing happening..one just died about 2 weeks ago. the remaining one looks the same as when I planted it..how long does it take to root..The mother plant is no more..so this is my last chance...help!

• pirate_girl
    18 years ago

Hi Aseret,

Some of these (I believe) are actually called Sans. Cylindrica (I gave a talk on Sans at end Feb. where a member of my Indoor Gardening Society brought in a very long leaf (abt 18") of exactly this type of leaf) for us to cut up and share. That's exactly the name he gave for it.

There are also other types of Sans. plants with cylindrical type leaves (as Gil's post above), so that can be sort of confusing.

I often start less common Sans. from leaves & in case you don't know, it can take up to a year, dependening on the time of year they are started (they'll start faster when started in warmer months) & whether or not they're started in warmer conditions (like w/ bottom heat, which I do not use). I started one early last fall that didn't show growth 'til abt a month ago.

Generally speaking starting Sans. from leaves is quite lesson in patience, so pls. know that.

PS to Gil, if you're still looking (& haven't already done so, you might try posting this at the Exchange page of the Sans. forum), if you haven't already heard back from Norma.

• aseret
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info...there is still hope for my cutting! I usually have a green thumb with indoor plants so I will continue to persevere!
    Thanks again for input!~

• rhodostom
    18 years ago

There are quite a few more sansevieria with 'round' leaves as well. Some further examples are:

suffruticosa
    francissii
    fisheri
    cylindrica patula
    ballyi
    phillipsiea
    erythraeae
    gracilis
    patens
    pearsonii
    robusta
    ehrenbergii
    stuckyi
    bascularis

My only advice on the cutting is don't overwater it.

Best of luck!
    -Michael

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

When I talk about cylindrical leaves, I mean no channel, what do you mean? Do you want plants that send out runners and cascade over the sides of the pot, or up right leaves up to 5-8 ft? or shorter types. I do not consider S. francisii with round leaves, nor ballyi 12681 now called S. 'Minnie' Do you want the kind that grow straight up, or spreading fan like? What about the ones that grow from rhizomes or stolens? More information please. Norma

• aseret
    18 years ago

The one I'm trying to root looked like a fan ,,,it had maybe 10 cylindical leaves (Or spikes) spreading like a fan from its base..very unique..it had an asian look to it..

• pirate_girl
    18 years ago

Hi Aseret,

If you're looking for fan-like Sans. w/ cylindrical leaves, there are more than a few. But S. patens is the one that comes to mind, pls. do an image search for that one & see if it looks like what you're looking for. HTH

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

I think what he is looking for is S. cylindrica v. cylindrica. That is why I was questioning him so carefully. Pencil thin S. canaliculata.
    S. fisherii, S. Stuckyi, S. sulcata, S. suffruticosa, and a few more.
    I don't like using the tip of a leaf for a cutting. I have more luck with the one way down at the bottom. Is this the information that you need? Norma

• dufflebag2002
    17 years ago

Whom ever wants them needs to send me a private email. I have over 200 species, hybrids, forms, varieties, variegate varieties, etc. Most of mine are documented. I have extra S. fisherii at this time, and probably 6 varieties of S. suffruticosa. Advise use the smallest pot you have and only use 2" of soil. Don't water for several weeks, then drench. Use a fast draining soil. Pure pumice for New Yorkers, and don't even attempt it until the weather is warm, not just the room they are in. The built in DNA will tell them when to grow. Mine grow best in the winter, Why, because we have opposite weather than Africa. The end of Sept. is a great time to start them, or in early Spring. December here is June in Africa weather wise. Norma

• dufflebag2002
    17 years ago

I think what you are looking for as you described, could be S. rorida which I don't give out to strangers, or S. ehrenbergii which is definitely fan like, there is also S. canaliculata two forms, one of which comes up from the bottom, and the other a miniature which grows along the top of the soil, also S.intermedia, with a heavy brush like flower, close to the ground. I would like to find S. sordida with documentation, round leaves, but small, not heavy, growing fan shaped, which I just may have but not sure. S. Pearsonii is a great sturdy plant when an adult. Stucki creeps along the top of the soil, but does have a channel. I am also looking for S.lanuginosa. These are all old species that have been found a few hundred years ago.
    There are now several new species introduced. Norma

• dufflebag2002
    17 years ago

Try S. rorida,S. sulcata, S. 'Koko', S. bella, S. burdettii, S. cylindrica var. cylindrica S. deserti, all the S. hallii have thick chunky leaves to 24-30" or more in shade, S peaarsonii (fan shape), S. rhodesiana, S. robusta, S. roxburghiana, S. sinus-simiorum S. stuckyi, S.volkensii. Hope these names will be of some help to you. Did not proof for spelling.
    Norma

• dufflebag2002
    17 years ago

This plant may be S. francisii, it grows 5 leaves what whorl around each each other, and on top of each other, it forms a tuft of leaves, then sends out a stolen to form another tuft and so on. This may be hard to locate so you may need to mail order to get one. It is extremely unique. Norma

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022