Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name of San If You Know It

Posted by cactusmcharris 4 / Interior BC (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 18, 11 at 0:00

After three years of inactivity / gentle abuse, a repot last month found the wee one still below the ground, but it's graced up with its presence this month. Does anyone know the name of this plant? It's never flowered for me.

Thanks much!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gestation Time Longer than an Elephant

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name of San If You Know It

Jeff, it looks like Mason's Congo to me, and a beauty!

Nancy

o

Nancy,

Thank you. If you have this plant, how long (or how many leaves) does it take to flower?

o
Puncher-Through of Rock Layer

DSC07593

o

Very nice. That purple coloration in the sheath of the new growth is typical of S. masoniana.

o

Hey, Jeff!

I just got mine last summer. I can't tell you anything about it, since it is so new to me. Heck, your leaves are bigger than mine!
Where are Norma and Karen? Surely one, if not both, can answer your question!

Nancy

o

Nancy,

I've no reason to doubt your ID of it, but I hope they chime in too. The leaves would be larger but I suspect they get ravaged by a certain young cat, she of the Sans Shark variety. Thanks for the ID.

I don't mind telling you I've also ordered another Sans - S. hallii 'Baseball Bat'. I think I had one growing in the ground in SD but didn't take an offset, so I'm getting another one from Miles (it's the only one he offers, and I was placing a pachycaul order with him anyway - oh boy, new plants!).

WN,

I didn't know that - thank you.

o

Well I'd go w/ that ID, that's what I thought when I saw it.

Here's Pix I took today of mine which is informally IDed by my local Indoor Gardening Group as S. Masoniana (someone also snootily told me that Mason's Congo is now outdated as it name; what do I know)

Photobucket

Another shot, for smaller, forward most leaf is all new growth since December. I hadn't realized 'til this winter that they sprout new growth in winter, I have 3 different ones doing it since December.

Photobucket

Looks like Norma's offering ID options on another thread; I'd go w/ her on this, we both know she's got vastly more experience w/Sans than I.

(Funny about the Sans. shark you've got & see the gnawing that's been done; good they're tough plants, huh?)

o

It's sure it has been S. masoniana for years now acording to the San. Journal, Jeff each newleaf with grow larger, when it breaks the pot which it will, or crawls out of the water bottom, it's time to repot, the plant will let you know. you will not need to quess when. Supply you cat some frsh grass in a pot. Cats don't eat this plant it rubs against it or may need it's teeth cleaned, Norma

o

PS to Jeff,

Sorry, I've never had the good fortune of blooming a Sans., so I can't speak to their age or number of leaves to bloom. Am guessing Norma could speak to that as well.

o

Its after they are mature, a full pot full, dry and trying to get out, some take 20 years or more, even at Kew gardens. This fact is listed in N.E. Brown Sansevieria monograph book printed 1915 #5

I don't quiet understand if people try to correct a wrong name they think it is being snotty. I don't care to sincerely give/find information with that attitude. Norma

o

Hi Norma,

Read carefully pls. It's not being corrected that's objectionable, it's when it's done in a nasty, condescending way, which it was to me & is simply unnecessarily.

Pls. don't read into my words more than I am saying, being updated, informed or corrected is one thing. Having it done in nasty, demeaning ways is something else altogether, I'd have though you knew me better than that.

Karen

o

Thanks Karen, I try to give information in a factual manner, and informative, I am not perfect this is a very difficult Family to try and name, and there are so many forms of many that we have to deal with. I read the Jeff wants a name if we know it. Without information how can anyone know what it is, most of us require where was it actually found, what kind of soil/rocks was it growing in and with what other species of plants, who found it? Jeff has not responed yet. I have a hunch, but i will need to have proof, Norma

o

Karen and Norma,

Thanks much for your posts - I'm going with your IDs, too.

Mason's Congo Sansevieria, now shunned into Sansevieria masoniana. I should think I'll get more offsets this year after it gets to go outside under the pine trees (great shade but those darn falling pine cones).

Karen,

Thanks for your pics - that's my plant, I think. And it is a good thing that it's no shrinking violet when Yoko Sans Shark comes callin'.

DSC05799

Norma, cat grass would be great if they were outside cats (if they were, they'd quickly become coyote treats). But I don't particularly want them puking/purging more than they already do inside.

o
It's tripled in size

Name of Sans if you know it
And you can get it if you tried

Anyway, the Sans pup has gotten larger, though two of our five days this week have been snowy ones. Sans Shark Yoko is also looking more like a dachshund, what with her elongated body seemingly more pronounced.

o

Gosh, has Jeff resurfaced? Jeff, it sure is good to see you posting again!

Susan

o

The plant is NOT Mason Congo. I don't have a photo of it, but will. This plant has been around a long time (circa Ed Eby-Father of Sansevierias) Nobody even bothers keeping it except for its variegated forms. The plant known as masoniana is a different species. The Mason Congo is a form that originated by Ed Eby from the wild. It grows as a mono-leaf plant. One leaf is one plant. To flower this, one has to put the plant in stress, as a lush succulent plant will not flower. S. masoniana may have two to three leaves per plant.

o

The leaf of the Mason Congo as promised.
Photobucket
Mason Congo is a One Leaf Wonder. And it does flower.

o

Mine are over achieviers and have three. Purple leaf sheaths are on other species as well. Karen and Jeff if you start or plant San. in a shallow pot, 3" to 4" in height they will offset faster, the rhizome can reach the surface faster. Mix some bonemeal into the soil. It is very long lasting. Norma

o

Norma,

This plant is potted in a deep pot, so I'm sure you're correct, but I don't need more offsets of this one as quickly as I might have thought I needed them. Besides, repotting it in January will give me something to do besides shovel the snow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here