Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cena_gw

Ack! Cold got mine too.

Cena
20 years ago

I tried moving all 300 plants in one day. Into the new house, that we were not planning to occupy for another 7 to 10 days. So, I put houseplants into the plant room, thinking there was plenty of light, and they would be fine with lower temperatures.

Well, after shifting hundreds of boxes, and getting back to being concerned about the 'little fellows' I went out to tend and groom, only to find my large S. trifaciata was loosing leaf tips, to a soft rot thing.

This plant is my oldest, and has been in the corner being ignored for 20 or so years. I had never seen this before so attribute it to cooler temps. I have not yet gotten the burst of growth I normally do in Autumn.

I have since brought it in, and placed it facing west. It will get an Epsom treatment soon. But it was a shock to see the damage.

I guess when they get this size and age, you tend to take them for granted, being the 'old timers' that they are...

{{gwi:1248417}}

Comments (9)

• mairzy_dotes
    20 years ago

Oh no, Cena, that is just awful. Are you sure it was the cold? It really hasn't been that cold lately (only in the high 50s at night here). The one Sans I have had for years ( I think it is S. trifasciata 'Laurentii'), I keep out on my patio and it is fine. Maybe the transformation to another light situation or something?
    Hey, what is an Epson treatment? Is that something I should be watering with on occation?
    Hope your sans pulls through OK.
    Marcy

• Cena
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Marcy, considering that this plants has ALWAYS been inside, it was suddenly subjected to 40's and 50's with no acclimation period. I know they can take much cooler to cold, but I think it's kinda like summering outside. Takes some patience and common sense, which I am obviously lacking...

Epsom Salts are made up of Magnesium sulfide. Many, many plants benefit from a dose of these in moderation. I learned about this because DH had foot surgery that required him to soak his foot two times a day, in Epsom Salts. I used the left over, cooled foot bath to water plants. For about a month.

I had such fast, unusual growth on this particular sans, I was amazed!!! Seven new growth heads broke the surface, and it rebloomed, after blooming once in September it bloomed again in November. I also got new leaves on every single growth head in the pot.

The down side of this overdose was that all the new leaves were scarred, with odd cream colored marks that these plants get when children carve their names into them with something sharp. I took the plant to my local Cactus & Succulent Society Meeting when Sans were the monthly succulent, and described what had happened. No one could tell me just what caused the scarring, although I know it was an excess of Epsom Salts. Do an online search 'plants & epsom salts' and see what you end up with.

Amazing I tell you. Just don't over do it!

• led_zep_rules
    19 years ago

I was away from my house all winter, and had the temperature down low. My brother-in-law came about twice a month to water all my plants. Of all the plants, just the snake plants and the coleus died. Dozens of others were just fine. So I was poking around this forum trying to figure out why ALL of my snake plants had died, and I am guessing it was the cooler temps (around 50 or sometimes maybe less) sent them over the edge. Or perhaps he watered them a lot, but hard to tell once they are all dead.

I am trying to stick some of the leaves that still look green and shiny into water to root. Does that work, or is just putting them into dirt right away is the thing to do? The plants died a couple months ago so maybe I am too late, but some of the leaves still look nice.

• Solar_Storm
    19 years ago

Devestating . . . I can offer only sympathy, no advice.
    I will remember the Epson Salts thing though. I wonder if Miracle Grow has Mg salts.

• Cena
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I would try soil rooting. You can mist the plants with a spray bottle, but I wouldn't water until you ARE SURE you have roots. Damp and cold will do so much more damage than no water for months...

I hope that some is salvageable! What a thing to come home to.

• pirate_girl
    19 years ago

Hey Led Zep,

I don't think you can root Sans in water (I'd never try it as it would seem a quick order for rot). Rooting them in mix is the way to go.

Just take a leaf & stick it down into mix & then DO NOT water it. Sans leaves can retain their own moisture for a long time. Make sure that you have the bottom part of the leaf down in the mix. If you've trimmed the leaf & plant it upside down, it won't grow, so maybe using a marker, mark the leaf to indicate which side is the bottom & then pot it up that way.

I've started very many Sans. this way (in mix). All it requires is much patience (& try not to pull or tug at it to check for roots). The surest sign of roots will be new growth, it does take some time, but works well. Best of luck w/ it.

• Solar_Storm
    19 years ago

Cena, its been a week since the last post. I'm waiting with baited breathe to find out what you did with that gorgeous plant.

• Cena
    Original Author
    19 years ago

SS, this plant will outlive me! This damage happened back in January. I trimmed the damaged tips and leaves, some back to soil line. This thing is so healthy I really would have to ignore and neglect this plant to do some damage. It looks pretty much like it does in the pic, today.

This plant is an orginal from my Granny, that I have had for over 20 years. Just a plain ole S. trifaciata, but hey, the memories!

• Solar_Storm
    19 years ago

I'm relieved.