Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josmik

Best friends

josmik
10 years ago

Hi there! I'd just like to refresh the forum by adding some new pics.. this one is about proven frindship between sansevierias and orchids.. :)

Comments (20)

• josmik
    Original Author
    10 years ago

.. this is more friendship on the north facing windowsill..

• josmik
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My Golden Hahniis enjoyed and obviously thrived this winter..

• josmik
    Original Author
    10 years ago

.. I'm gladly surprised with an unusual pattern on the new shoots of Green Hahnii..

• josmik
    Original Author
    10 years ago

.. look at the abundant foliage and rhythmic colouration.. isn't she irresitable?!..

• josmik
    Original Author
    10 years ago

.. variegation and colouration forms on the leaves are just endless..

• josmik
    Original Author
    10 years ago

.. I think this is beyond ornamental.. :)

• josmik
    Original Author
    10 years ago

.. a year and a half ago I gave a small S. Cylindrica to my friend.. in the meantime it turned into a very nice plant with the longest leaf reaching more than 1 m and with an obvious intent to treat us with a bloom... :)

• barbmock
    10 years ago

Thank you for posting these lovely photos. All your plants are so perfect. I agree, your orchids and sans are the best of friends.

Could you give me some growing tips on hahniis? Mine seem to suffer through to winter.

• hijole
    10 years ago

Josmik, great pictures, I agree with the mix of plants, so Im sharing a Orchid pic, which is called Epidendrum or Ive heard it called Poormans Orchid, next to and Aeionium.

One question I have about the Orchid is, I've seen this same flower 3 times the size on the same plant and Im not sure if its just the climate or what, the other one was seen at the beach area. Do you have any thoughts on this?

And yes you have freshened up the site, thxz

Greg

• josmik
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Barbara, there are no special tips on growing hahniis.. maybe if you put it in a larger pot then you can expect a larger plant and after that make a selection of larger plants and so on.. any potting medium is ok if you keep them in bright light and warm coditions.. I've experimented with mixing perlite and vermiculite with the soil but there was no difference.. I water them when they dry up which means once a week.. Hahniis are fast growers unless they started like albinos.. look the difference in what I've got with Golen Hahnii leaf cuttings.. the plain green ones are running wild while pale ones keep more on contemplative side.. :)

• josmik
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Greg! Your beautiful plants remind me of my period living in the Mediterranean part of the country.. I do not know much about orchids but warm climate is a blessing for plants and gardens.. and you are happy one living in the sunny part of the world :) This winter was rather mild here.. only 3 weeks of heavy snow and polar temperatures.. so I made some repottings even in December.. :)

• hijole
    10 years ago

Josmik, this is a picture of the larger one that grows at the beach, same plant but the only difference that I know of is that I live about 35 - 40 miles away inland.
    Thxz for the help.

Greg

{{!gwi}}

• hijole
    10 years ago

Josmik, this is a picture of the larger one that grows at the beach, same plant but the only difference that I know of is that I live about 35 - 40 miles away inland.
    Thxz for the help.

Greg

{{!gwi}}

• hijole
    10 years ago

Josmik, great pictures, I agree with the mix of plants, so Im sharing a Orchid pic, which is called Epidendrum or Ive heard it called Poormans Orchid, next to and Aeionium.

One question I have about the Orchid is, I've seen this same flower 3 times the size on the same plant and Im not sure if its just the climate or what, the other one was seen at the beach area. Do you have any thoughts on this?

And yes you have freshened up the site, thxz

Greg

{{!gwi}}

• barbmock
    10 years ago

Thanks Josmik,

Your hahniis are really lush and full. Some of the nicest ones I have seen. I have good light and warmth. The house is quite dry in the winter, i think the poor things are drying out a lot faster than I thought. So, you have given me a good tip after all. Thanks again for all the photos.

• hijole
    10 years ago

Heres the picture, just noticed the pic didnt show up.

Greg

• hijole
    10 years ago

Heres the picture, just noticed the pic didnt show up.

Greg

{{!gwi}}

• hijole
    10 years ago

So sorry for the mass of duplicates.

Greg

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Thanks Josmik,
    My hat goes off to you. You are a greater plantsman than me. Warm and bright. Just what is the hardest to do during winter. Mine are just surviving and some going wild. Wish all went wild.
    Just one more month and I think we will be thru with this winter. The big freeze and snow just missed us. We got cold but only 4 inches of never go away snow.
    Stush

• hijole
    10 years ago

Josmik, just looking over your plant collection you have here and admiring them they are gorgeous and lush what kind of fertilizer do you treat them with or what are some of your secrets if any, they'd be much appreciated.

Greg