Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best friends

Posted by josmik Croatia 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 2:21

Hi there! I'd just like to refresh the forum by adding some new pics.. this one is about proven frindship between sansevierias and orchids.. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best friends

.. this is more friendship on the north facing windowsill..

o

My Golden Hahniis enjoyed and obviously thrived this winter..

o

.. I'm gladly surprised with an unusual pattern on the new shoots of Green Hahnii..

o

.. look at the abundant foliage and rhythmic colouration.. isn't she irresitable?!..

o

.. variegation and colouration forms on the leaves are just endless..

o

.. I think this is beyond ornamental.. :)

o

.. a year and a half ago I gave a small S. Cylindrica to my friend.. in the meantime it turned into a very nice plant with the longest leaf reaching more than 1 m and with an obvious intent to treat us with a bloom... :)

o

Thank you for posting these lovely photos. All your plants are so perfect. I agree, your orchids and sans are the best of friends.

Could you give me some growing tips on hahniis? Mine seem to suffer through to winter.

o

Josmik, great pictures, I agree with the mix of plants, so Im sharing a Orchid pic, which is called Epidendrum or Ive heard it called Poormans Orchid, next to and Aeionium.

One question I have about the Orchid is, I've seen this same flower 3 times the size on the same plant and Im not sure if its just the climate or what, the other one was seen at the beach area. Do you have any thoughts on this?

And yes you have freshened up the site, thxz

Greg

o

Thank you Barbara, there are no special tips on growing hahniis.. maybe if you put it in a larger pot then you can expect a larger plant and after that make a selection of larger plants and so on.. any potting medium is ok if you keep them in bright light and warm coditions.. I've experimented with mixing perlite and vermiculite with the soil but there was no difference.. I water them when they dry up which means once a week.. Hahniis are fast growers unless they started like albinos.. look the difference in what I've got with Golen Hahnii leaf cuttings.. the plain green ones are running wild while pale ones keep more on contemplative side.. :)

o

Thank you Greg! Your beautiful plants remind me of my period living in the Mediterranean part of the country.. I do not know much about orchids but warm climate is a blessing for plants and gardens.. and you are happy one living in the sunny part of the world :) This winter was rather mild here.. only 3 weeks of heavy snow and polar temperatures.. so I made some repottings even in December.. :)

o

Josmik, this is a picture of the larger one that grows at the beach, same plant but the only difference that I know of is that I live about 35 - 40 miles away inland.
Thxz for the help.

Greg

o

Josmik, this is a picture of the larger one that grows at the beach, same plant but the only difference that I know of is that I live about 35 - 40 miles away inland.
Thxz for the help.

Greg

o

Josmik, great pictures, I agree with the mix of plants, so Im sharing a Orchid pic, which is called Epidendrum or Ive heard it called Poormans Orchid, next to and Aeionium.

One question I have about the Orchid is, I've seen this same flower 3 times the size on the same plant and Im not sure if its just the climate or what, the other one was seen at the beach area. Do you have any thoughts on this?

And yes you have freshened up the site, thxz

Greg

o

Thanks Josmik,

Your hahniis are really lush and full. Some of the nicest ones I have seen. I have good light and warmth. The house is quite dry in the winter, i think the poor things are drying out a lot faster than I thought. So, you have given me a good tip after all. Thanks again for all the photos.

o

Heres the picture, just noticed the pic didnt show up.

Greg

o

Heres the picture, just noticed the pic didnt show up.

Greg

o

So sorry for the mass of duplicates.

Greg

o

Thanks Josmik,
My hat goes off to you. You are a greater plantsman than me. Warm and bright. Just what is the hardest to do during winter. Mine are just surviving and some going wild. Wish all went wild.
Just one more month and I think we will be thru with this winter. The big freeze and snow just missed us. We got cold but only 4 inches of never go away snow.
Stush

o

Josmik, just looking over your plant collection you have here and admiring them they are gorgeous and lush what kind of fertilizer do you treat them with or what are some of your secrets if any, they'd be much appreciated.

Greg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here