Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andriea_gw

snake plant not growing

andriea
10 years ago

I brought this snake about 9months ago and it doesn't seem to be growing. My son has knocked it out of its pot twice and I'm worried this might have damaged it. Plants receives good light but not direct sunlight and is watered as and when really, if soil goes bone dry I drench it. Can anyone give me some direction with it as I'm not sure If it's healthy or not thank you

Comments (6)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

The plant looks fine to me. This is the resting time for indoor plants. Spring/Summer is growth. As long as you got it to stay alive during this winter is a good thing. You should see a lot of growth come summer. Only when you see new growth, give it a shot of fertilizer.
    A little perlite mixed in your soil can help.
    Stush

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

Agree with the idea plants sort of rest during the low light and cool temps of winter. The soil looks too fine to be a good choice for Sans. You want something that won't stay soggy after you saturated it. Maybe something like:

{{gwi:1295}}

or

{{gwi:20508}}

You might find the link below helpful.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: How to avoid the most common pitfalls ....

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

The last time I bought a little Sans, I managed to knock it over myself more than twice before finding a better place for it. Some signs of injury may become apparent, damage is slow to show up on Sans leaves, but your plant was probably not bothered much by the experience other than cosmetically. How long ago did it take a tumble?

It could handle more light, even direct outdoor sun, if you would like to have a faster growing plant. Sounds like this one might need a less 'active' spot anyway, though it's not your son's fault these plants are top-heavy. If given a pot with some space to make a fat rhizome and some pups, the center of gravity will be lower, less likely to tip over. A clay pot is good for that, and for reducing risk of rotting roots of plants like these that won't tolerate being constantly moist in a pot.

The mixes shown in the pics above are:
    1. much better than in the pic below, though, in my defense, sand just gets everywhere here, I didn't put any in this pot, and didn't start with anything like what's pictured above. You can see how the roots are avoiding the areas where the organic ingredients have decomposed into tiny particles of silt, there's no oxygen in those places. I don't recommend replicating anything about the 'dirt' in my pic, go with the other pics for that please, but showing the pic so you can see what the rhizomes look like and do under the surface. Why any Sans can't be all it can be without room to do this. The rhizomes all go to the edge of the pot, then have to make a turn to find the surface.
    2. also heavier than fluffy, peaty potting soil, helping keep more weight as low as possible, as well as being able to plant a *little* deeper so plants are less likely to fall over within the pot, a win-win.

Josh, is that one of those mosquito incense coils? We use a lot of those!
    - Tiffany

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

It sure is a mosquito coil! :-D
    I carry one around the yard with me during the Spring and Summer....

Josh

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

That's a good idea! Time to stock up on those coils. I've already been a victim this year. Laid waste to many broods of larvae in water buckets this winter. Love doing that.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz