Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactiboi

S. Golden Hahnii - soggy soil

cactiboi
18 years ago

I recently purchased three Golden Hahnii. These plants have been difficult to locate in my area. The store where I purchased them had them overwatered. Most of the plants were beyond saving -- the leaves were mushy and rot was well established. The plants that I purchased had some water-logged leaves on the bottom, which I removed. I believe there is a chance I can save these plants. Should I just let the soil dry out (they are in plastic pots) or should I remove them from the soggy soil and place them in drier soil, placing them in unglazed clay pots? I would not normally buy plants in this condition, but as I said, these plants are difficult to find in my area, and once I removed the mushy leaves on the bottom, the rest of the plant looks fine. Your input is much appreciated.

Comments (6)

• kraftiekatie
    18 years ago

If I had plants in such condition (and I have had because in the past I sometimes was given plants others had not cared for properly), I would trim the tops as you have done, remove the plant from the pot, wash the entire plant in tepid water, trim all root rot completely and repot in sterilized soil in clay pots. Their survival depends on how much good root is left. If there is very little you may want to trim more leaves. It's a tough plant and will likely do well given a little time.
    Katie

• pirate_girl
    18 years ago

Hi Cactiboi,

I'm sorry but I have to disagree w/ Katie's advice on this. I grow a lot of Sans. (not this one tho') & just gave a talk on Sans. earlier this week.

Some people feel this type of Sans. is much more sensitive to overwatering than most others. Therefore, I strongly advice AGAINST washing it off w/ water, but DO get it out of that mix & throw that mix out.

Start over w/ an unglazed clay pot, using cactus & succulent mix w/ abt 30% more perlite (or pumice if you can get it). If you can't get C&S mix, try a houseplant mix w/out peat if possible. I say NEVEAR wash a succulent plant, that's the last thing it needs.

I heard you that these plants were hard to find, but as a general rule, don't buy succulents w/ mushy leaves, they're usually too far gone to save. Must leaves = rot = fatal & deadly.

If this were my plant, after I removed it from the existing mix & pot, I'd leave it out unpotted in the open air to dry out more fully, then repot in the mix I suggested in unglazed clay.

If you can salvage a single healthy leaf, you might try starting a new one just from the leaf, tho' I don't know if it will retain its golden stripe(s), likely not.

Good luck w/ it.

• cactiboi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I think removing it from the soil and letting it air dry is a good idea. From my user name you can tell I have cactus soil, perlite and unglazed pots on hand. Just recently got interested in other succulents besides cactus.

• bihai
    18 years ago

I wish you all the luck, I have killed 3 and given up. I didn't even think I was overwatering...I was watering once a week, SPARINGLY, and the soil was always dry before I watered again, but they rotted anyway. And the rot seemed to come on very suddenly, once day fine, next jelly.

• pirate_girl
    18 years ago

Well now that you mention your handle (sorry) I SEE what you mean. Please excuse all the typos in my prior post, yikes! Not like me -- I meant mushy leaves = death, etc. Good luck w/ it.

• bihai
    18 years ago

I was at our local botanical gardens annual spring festival this past weekend and talked to Bob Smoley about Sans Golden Hahnii. Bob Smoley is a kind of an expert on sans and succulents I think, he has had a retail business for a long while and recently, within the past 2-3 years, relocated to a town here in FL very near to me. SO now he comes every year to our sale.

He said that in winter, you should never water Golden Hahnii. Not at all. He said just resist the urge, even though you may think you are going to kill it not watering. It is extremely sensitive to rot and you must keep it bone dry most of the time and extra bone dry in winter.