Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just looking for some suggestions or advice

Posted by elsier z6 KY (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 28, 09 at 10:09

Many of my plants spend the winter in my garage. It is heated and has lights, so plants seem to do pretty well; I have done this for many years now.

Last week two of my Sans looked poorly when I was out there. Thursday, when I went back out to water, disaster had
struck. Of ten pots of Sans, two were completely dead, rotted at the base.

Five of them had rotted at the base of most of the plants. Those I cut off the leaves above the rot; I filled a paper grocery bag with the cut-off leaves. there are one or two plants left in each of those pots. Three seem to be unharmed.

None of the other plants out there seem to be affected. The temperature stays between 45 and 60 degrees. I am guessing overwatering was the culprit, although I try to be pretty sparing during the winter.

Any other ideas? Thanks,

Elsie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just looking for some suggestions or advice

Could it be your mix? or perhaps a lack of air circulation &/or cold? Were they overpotted, that could do it too or a combination of all of these factors, sorry.

o

I do not think it was any colder in my garage this year than in past years and there is a ceiling fan, so I feel the air circulates fairly well. None of the plants were overpotted.

I wondered about the soil mix. Last year I bought a new brand and did not really like it; it seemed too dense and clumping even when I added in perlite,etc. It has been used up now and I do not plan on buying that type again.

Thanks for your suggestions.

o

Elsier,

I can guarantee you that your rotting Sans were a direct result of watering during the winter. Here in Texas I put at least seven 3-gallon containers full of Sans trifasciata in our garage during the first week of December and don't take them out nor do I water them until I take them out of the garage about 3 months later. You may not believe this, but the Sans survive nicely in the garage through the cold part of Winter with hardly any light other than about 5 minutes a day when we do laundry and have to turn on the light.

You might ask how can Sans survive 3 months with no lights and no water? I often think of this period as their dormant period when in their natural habitat.

For my rarer Sans (the ones from Kenya and Somalia) I leave them outside until just before it rains or freezes, then I bring them inside the house until the Winter rain or freeze is over, then I take them outside again.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here