Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What wrong with my 'moonshine'?

Posted by greendale 6B (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 10:34

The leaves are shrinking. before it is in bathroom ith blinds alway closed. now it moved to a west facing window. Is it not enough light, is it too cold, too wet? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What wrong with my 'moonshine'?

I think that leaves shrinking means it needs water. Is it in gritty mix? Are you using a skewer to see if it is wet? When was the last time it was watered?

Thinking that the bathroom with all it's humidity wouldn't be great for your Sans...especially with the blinds always closed. West window should be good from now on.

o

Yes, it is in gritty mix without pine barks. It was in a much larger pot before too, I repotted into this smaller pot and checked the soil mix, it is actually wet. I got this moonshine in the Nov last year, and since then, it going down hill, but I had another 'black gold' in the same mix which does much better then this moonshine, it even have new growth in the center. Thanks.

o

Are those rocks on top of the mix? Could this be a drainage problem somehow? The leaves do look thirsty.

o

Did the roots seem healthy when you down-potted it? Root rot can make a plant look like it needs more water, because the roots are gone, so they can't take any in. The solution to this would be to water less, and really not much at all for awhile, until you see new leaves growing, which signal healthy roots. It's a beautiful plant and I hope you are able to save it!

FF

o

Gotta get all the Sans through this darn winter so they can spend all summer outside.

o

The rock is just for decoration. Yes, the root is good and health, I actually see there are some new roots growing.
Laura, I just saw your new bantel sensation in another thread. I am going to lowes this weekend. Never saw they carry bant sensation before though.

o

Glad the roots are healthy. That means it *should* be an easy fix. Keep us posted!

I got my Bantel's at Lowes over the winter for $1. It was half dead, but turned out to have 4 plants! They're still recovering, though, so we'll see how they do come summer.

I hope you can find one!

FF

o

Here is an old thread Al's Gritty Mix and Sansevieria questions.
Here is a link that might be useful:Al's Gritty Mix and Sansevieria questions

o

Sounds like it was certainly starved for light, in addition to whatever else is going on.

How often do you water? In Gritty Mix, a more regular schedule is required. Depending on the container size, one could be watering every 4 days, every week, or every 10 days.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here