Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noki_gw

Natural Sansevieria species which make interesting potted plants?

noki
12 years ago

Everybody has seen that there are dozens of domesticated cultivars that you see even at the grocery and hardware stores. Many are cool, others a matter of personal taste.

I'd like to try 4 or 5 natural forms. Any species that people like the most?

Sansevieria masoniana?

Sansevieria raffilli? These seem like really nice different upright broad leave forms.

Sansevieria fischeri? Or the "Baseball Bat"? Will these ever really grow big in their adult form?

Sansevieria suffruticosa?

Some spiky type that is cool?

Thanks. Any pics for inspiration?

Comments (10)

• marlonmachado
    12 years ago

Five species which remain relatively small and have very different growth forms:

Sansevieria parva
    Sansevieria concinna - Spoon leaf Sansevieria
    Sansevieria ballyi
    Sansevieria hallii - Baseball Bat Sansevieria
    Sansevieria pinguicula - Walking Sansevieria

Cheers,

Marlon Machado.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Koni,
    Welcome to our forum. Nice to have new members. You are out of my league. I am into Sansevieria Trifasciata. The common ones you see every where. I did have some nice people here send me some nice starters of some new kinds. Like Sansevieria Schweinfurhia, looks like an African Spear and Sans. Lavranos '23251' which looks like a agave hahnii cross. I love this forum and all the great people who have helped me thru this past year.
    Stush

• lovemysans
    12 years ago

Hi noki,

You can't go wrong picking a Sansevieria, all the ones you mentioned are beautiful. It just depends on the space that you have available and on your personal preference. Sansevieria Fischeri, Baseball bat, Masoniana, Rafilli,and Suffrucitosa all get large. Suffrucitosa and Francissi are both cool spiky types. I would post some pictures for you, but the last link I posted from webshots didn't activate. Go to home and garden webshots page, search for them, and enjoy the beautiful pictures.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Noki,

Am curious what you mean by 'natural' species. Could you pls. clarify?

Marlon suggested an excellent group of plants for you. A nice diversity of growth forms as he said.

Pls. take some time to browse this site. There are lots of great pix & (I think) inspiration here already.

Easily 1/2 of my Sans. are no ID, but usually interesting forms. If you browse the pix here, you'll see I've posted a fair amount of Sans. pix here myself.

I agree w/ the poster before me, it's a question of your likes & conditions I think.

• noki
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"Natural species"... actually species that you would find growing in the wild. Versus cultivars in the hobby which may be hybrids or clones from mutant specimens.

• woodnative
    12 years ago

S. halli is slow growing but they look really awesome as they get larger and earn their "baseball bat" name! S. masoniana is impressive for its size. S. fischeri is attractive even in its juvenile form. S. suffruticosa is nice and the spoonleaf types are interesting. All of these have been mentioned by you and others above.

• bonsaigai
    12 years ago

Don't forget pinguicula! It's a WONDERFUL species with a very fun growth habit. Staying small-ish, (I have a compact form) it will walk it's way across a pot over the years.

Michael

• laura1
    12 years ago

Fischeri is one of my favorites and it is a fast grower. I'm away from home and my list and garden so can't give you more input. One i really like is not a "natural" but one bred for rope. It has a name like FL-13 (not exactly correct) but this sans. is very tall and thin like a spear growing 5 feet. Very cool. Have fun!

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

I like all the ones that Marlon suggested. But include the so called miniture cylindrica, just keep it in a small pot if you want it to continue to grow small and interesting.Norma

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

If you can find S. stucki get it. Give it a big pot and it will get very large. The bottom of the leaves are 5" around. It looks like a giant S. cylindrica var. cylindrica
    but only one leaf to a growth. Mine is in a 25 gal. clay pot which I hope it will not break. My plant is only 2 years old when I got it, and it has put out an off set each year. It had not roots and I paid $50 for the cutting. This came with documentation from the Huntington Botanical Gardens I now have more species then they do, and of course still looking for more, yes I will trade. By the way there are more then one form of S. masoniana, one tall the other short.