Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jezzadu

Over or Under Watering??

jezzadu
20 years ago

Hi - I have a Sans Moonshine that I have noticed is starting to "wrinkle". Instead of being smooth, the leaves have started to get wrinkles on them and they feel a bit softer than they should.

I have tried to be really careful and not overwater it.

I fear this is a sign of either over or under watering it.

Can someone please confirm this? and is there a way I could rescue it and bring it back to good health?

Thanks.

Jez

Comments (7)

• birdsnestsoup
    20 years ago

Well, since nobody else has replied with advice, I'm going to take an educated guess and say that your plant needs some water. Give it a good watering, keep it as warm as you can, especially at night (they do say that Sans do all their growing at night) & you should notice some improvement within two or three days. At this time of year, with good light & warm temperature you can easily water it every other week or more frequently depending on how porous your potting mix is.

• jezzadu
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for advice birdsnest. I'll water it when I get home.

• alz_
    20 years ago

Hi,

If you grow your Sans. in pots you need to water them. I can only speak from my experience. I grow all of my Sans. in pots and i have probally over 30. During spring - fall my plants get 1 good watering a week except my S. pinguicula. From mid fall through winter 1 good one a month. Not quiet as drenchey as summer waterings. Hope this helps.

• Cena
    20 years ago

I wasn't sure how to answer this. I don't think is a cut & dried one or the other. I have had Sans wrinkle out of the blue, being on the same watering schedule as everyone else who is doing just fine. And when I say 'everyone else' I mean all the sans.

I realize that 'Moonshine' is a more tender leaved trifaciata type, and I suspect that sometimes we do tend to underwater, and that leads to root loss.

I would water a bit more than you have been, quantity and timing wise, and see if it plumps up. If not, I would depot and check the roots. If you have lost many roots, your care changes a bit.

I could just be paranoid since I've been repotting orchids for days now...

• Michaela
    20 years ago

Jezzadu,
    You did not say how long you have had your 'Moonshine'. If you bought it recently, and you used a very dry potting mix, some water and a warm environment (50+ degrees) would be in order. Otherwise, maybe it is time to check the roots and stem for pests, or bacteria / fungus. See anything wet? slimey?

• wankel
    20 years ago

Usually, if the leaves wrinkle and get a pebbly, orange-peel texture, they need watering.

• jezzadu
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I wanted to thank everyone for their responses. I gave it a good watering and it seems to (slowly) be recovering.