Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
binlin

My pinguicula is finally doing something neat

binlin
11 years ago

I thought I'd share a couple pics.
I was away for business for about a month and returned to this sight. The pictures span a period of about 30 days.

This post was edited by rennet on Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 17:01

Comments (10)

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Wow! What a wonderful bloom. How long have you been growing your ping?

• Michaela
    11 years ago

Oh my! Its a real treat to see this plant in bloom; I've never seen it in in flower before. Nice pictures, too! Are the flowers really as yellow as they look? Sweet fragrance?

• binlin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@bmock
    Thanks, this plant is about 3 years old. I received it as a bare root pup from Thailand.

@michaela
    The flowers are greenish yellow but the base of the sepals and the filaments are brighter yellow, so the flowers appear to turn brighter as they open. The flowers start to open every day around 8pm and are fully open by 12am, right before my lights shut off. The flowers only last one night, and I haven't actually smelled them yet, but I'll let you know later tonight when new ones open.

• barbmock
    11 years ago

What size is your pot? I'm trying to get an idea of the size of your plant. I don't remember seeing a sans with a yellow bloom. Congratulations! Thanks for sharing those beautiful photos. Barb

• barbmock
    11 years ago

What size is your pot? I'm trying to get an idea of the size of your plant. I don't remember seeing a sans with a yellow bloom. Congratulations! Thanks for sharing those beautiful photos. Barb

• binlin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Barb,
    The inner diameter of the pot is 8 inches, the longest leaf is about 10 inches, and the panicle is about 7 inches long.

• binlin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@michaela
    It's almost 10pm now, and tonight's flowers are just about fully open. I moved the plant out from under my lights so I could smell the flowers. The scent doesn't seem to carry very far, and I had to stick my face right down between the spikes to smell anything. I'm not sure if I'd describe the flowers as sweet, but there's definitely a complex perfume-like smell.

Here's the plant with a ruler for scale:

Here's a side view of a flowers that's almost fully open:

• barbmock
    11 years ago

You not only have that bloom, but the plant itself is impressive too. I was surprised at the size. Can you share any growing tips with us, please? I can see that you have your lighting and reflective surface. Whatever you are doing, it's working well. Barb

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Thank you for sharing all this info with us, Rennet. Those of us with a lack of sunny windows in the winter could surely benefit from a setup similar to yours.