Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stush49

New Purchase of Sans.

You know I lost a few Sans. Futura regular kind. In fact I lost all of my Futura. Also all of my Moonshine and 1/2 of my Gold Hahnii and 3 out of 4 of my Bantel Sensation. Well at my locol Wal-Marts, they must have just gotten them in this week, two trays of small 3" pots of different house plants. I purchased 2 with many pups (Offsets) peaking thru the soil for only $2.75 ea. and who couldn't pass up a Gold Flame thrown in for the same price!

I didn't lose any of my Fut. Black Edge or Fut. Gold Flame but can't pass up a deal like that.
Stush

Comments (44)

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Sorry to hear that you are losing some of your plants. Was the cold weather to blame?

That's a pretty little gold flame. You never get too many of those.

The little gold and black stripe one you sent me is growing, it has put out the prettiest striped leaf. I still can't tell if it is a flame or not.

• Enterotoxigenic00
    11 years ago

I too am sorry about the loss of your sans.
    Thank goodness for WM, I shopped this
    weekend and found a few plants (sans)
    that the price forced me to buy them.
    The small ones were not $2.75 but because
    of the colorful paper cups they cost $3.50.
    It's the pups that catch my eye.
    k

This post was edited by Enterotoxigenic00 on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 19:19

• Sarah1502
    11 years ago

Those look great and for a great price. So sorry you lost your others. What happened?

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Good find Stush......particularly that 'Gold Flame'!
    k great find too and great price.......especially that Golden hahni on the left!!!
    I hear birdsong again and the temps are going up to 60F today in NJ. There will be more cold....but we are almost there and back to good growing conditions!

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

K,
    Nice going. Just like mine, the soil is very peatty and needs changed out. I'll wait till spring. I have not been able to find a Gold Hahnii for some time now. I just have to purchase one mail order.
    Stush

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Great replacements, Stush!
    I think it's time to make a custom mix that doesn't hold moisture for too long...always easier to water a plant than dry a plant ;-)

Josh

• Michaela
    11 years ago

NOW is the time to check your local Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Meijers, and Whatever other chain store is in your area for new Sansevierias. Sometimes they only get a half dozen of some species so check often and report back here with your loot! Ha!

• FrugalFanny
    11 years ago

Beautiful new plants, Stush! I have several golden hahnii at various levels of maturity if you want, come warmer weather. I have been propagating them over the past couple of years for trades:) I just posted a thread on the houseplants trade forum if you want to take a look, or just see my list.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I have just fell in love. Ha ha .
    Stush

• FrugalFanny
    11 years ago

just emailed you back! let me know if you get it:)

FF

• barbmock
    11 years ago

You guys are such enablers! I had to swing by Lowes and HD today. Of course I found a few things. They were jumping right in the cart. Cylindrica, Gold Flame, Black Gold. I didn't even know I wanted these. Of course I am naming them, they were just misc. sans.

• FrugalFanny
    11 years ago

WOW bmock! Good haul:) I'm a bit jealous since I never find unusual sans. in my area. You know you have too many plants when most of those you find in stores and nurseries don't impress you anymore, and if they do, you already have them!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Way to go Barb. Now I have to get out and start relooking around some more. I one I really miss and never see are the Gold Hahnii and now I may get my wish. Thanks all. I got some real nice ones I have never seen in any of the box stores. Only thing, they take forever to set offsets (pups).
    Stush

• FrugalFanny
    11 years ago

Beautiful plants, stush! Are those plants you still have? I just love the hahniis, they're definitely my favorite:)

• wndy_gardenweb
    11 years ago

wow, these broad-leaved Sans are really beautiful! I may now have to go out and hunt one down... Also, sorry to hear you lost some plants Stush :(

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Your hahniis are really pretty. They are all so interesting with each leaf a different patten. I hope you didn't lose any of these. Barb

Original Author
    11 years ago

Surprisingly, those came along with no problems this winter. They are also on a window seal and no problems. Why I lost so many, I just don't understand. Maybe something FF does that I don't. I don't cut my pups off the mother plant and let the whole thing fill out a planter or window box. That may be why when a disease strikes one, the whole bunch is affected? But then some of mine just don't want to pup (offset). Like my Gold Hahnii. Many, many leaves but no offsets.
    Hey Chris, if your reading this. Notice the similarities between Wendy and that picture of Streaker.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Nice purchases!

Josh

Original Author
    11 years ago

Josh,
    My best sans were gifts from some nice people here that want to remain anonymous for the most part. I plan to contact them with some new purchases I make to see if I can repay them. Lucky the ones I lost the most was K-mart specials if you know what I mean. I really did like them and it was a heart break to loose them. Change my name to Lucky Stush

• Enterotoxigenic00
    11 years ago

I'd just like to say thanks, thanks alot. I am such a push
    over or do I say come under the spell of the power of
    suggestion too easily?
    Like I don't have enough sans, but I do want a cylindrica.
    So after reading a post above I ran out to HD, Lowes, and
    WM. I could not find a sans that I had to have...yet.
    I did however come home with a hoya rope, ok, two.
    Also a hoya rubra and hoya carnosa.
    WM has lots of small Whitney sans.
    Good thing I forgot to mention the goldfish and lipstick plants.

Again, thanks alot!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Whitney sans? I don't have a Whitney yet. Got to go out again.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hey Entero,

You are baaaaad, a Hoya or 4 Huh? Guess we'll be expecting to see ya at Hoya Forum?? Where we enable w/ the best of em eh??? Too funny!!!

Now you guys got me thinking I've got go have a look at my Local HD. Bad enough my regular HD in Manhattan has Hoya curtisiis, soaking wet & very heavy, but not the every day Hoyas either. I've been wanting to go back & get one (they had 3).

Gorgeous plants everybody, nice selections Stush. So pristine & clean looking FF, really beauties you've got there!! Perfect examples of why we grow Sans. Wow!

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Stush- You have done really well with that 'Streaker' and 'Silver Frost'!! 'Wendy' is the futura type with the light center??? I went to our local walmart last week (after being inspired by this thread). They had some nice 'Jade Dwarf Marginated' but that was all (a good find but I already have it so passed).

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Stush, Just look what you started! Now you have everyone out scouting the local stores. Maybe we need an intervention!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Did you just heard what Woodnative said. Wal-Marts has some nice 'Jade Dwarf Marginated'. Do you know that is what I just lost in one of my planters. Got to go back out again. Maybe I will pitch a tent and be the first one in the door. Opps, there open 24 hrs. so hey hey.

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

Stush..NICE plants. So sorry to hear of your losses. I'll have to go read the story about what happened. Love the "streaker".

I just picked up a pretty beat up golden hahnii at a garden center. They were going to throw it away so they gave it to me. It was in wet, peaty soil, but there was still plenty of roots left when I unpotted it. It's drying now and will put it in dry gritty mix soon. It does have a pretty decent looking pup, so if the main plant doesn't recover, I think I still have the pup.

Love to see the pictures.

• FrugalFanny
    11 years ago

I, too had to go out and see what I could find. Found this guy at a local nursery, nearly drowned to death. There was one gold flame-the first I'd ever seen in real life, but it was too far gone.

Luckily this one had lots of good roots on it, and a pup taller than itself. I feel silly because I think it's sort of common, but I cannot find a name. Anyone?

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Hi Fannie, This is Whitney. It's new on the market, I ordered one a couple of months ago. I think you're gonna like it.

It's funny, a year ago I wouldn't have had a clue. I have learned a lot this past year, mostly right here on GW. Sans are fun to collect.

• FrugalFanny
    11 years ago

Bmock,

Agreed, I have learned a ton on here as well, that and some old houseplant books I've picked up over the years at thrift stores. I read them cover to cover:)

I think I'll like Whitney too, thank you for the ID. Funny I didn't even know I wanted that one. Made me sad to see that Gold Flame dying right next to it, though, because that's what I really wanted. That tells you who's heartier, I guess. But, come warmer weather, I shall have my Gold Flame!

FF

• barbmock
    11 years ago

I don't know why stores think they have to drown their sans, they are usually sitting in a puddle. Don't worry, I have a nice flame with your name on it. Goldflame is one of my favorites, easy to grow and so colorful.

• FrugalFanny
    11 years ago

:) Thanks bmock. I am SO excited for that plant. It's silly.

This was a real nursery, too, not a big box store, so they had no excuse. They had those trays without drainage that seem to be a favorite form of torture for cacti and succulents. I wish I could just take a drill and fix it all. It would take five minutes. Viola! Live plants!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, everybody is happy here. Nice to see we share our great finds with each other.
    FF, I don't have Whitney. They were new just last year, as far as I ever seen. Roberto2 said they are called green flame and is patended in the Netherlands I think.
    Too all here. I was informed of a free download of 'The Splendid Sansevieria' by Chahinian. You can print the download if you want or keep on computer to read or refference. I am still going to buy a copy from Stokes Tropicals for $39. but I hate to pay another $11 shipping.
    Stush
    http://bookos.org/s/?q=sansevieria&e=1&t=0
    And don't forget Hermine Stover's Sans book free download
    http://fradnai.free.fr/docs/SansevieriaBook.pdf

• FrugalFanny
    11 years ago

Stush,

Yes this has been a great thread, so thank you for starting it! Once I looked up Whitney I found it called Silver Flame. Not sure what Green Flame is, if there is such a thing. If not, I'm sure it's only a matter of time. So, as far as I can tell, the patent is on 'Silver Flame', and Whitney is the same thing, but in the U.S? So does that mean we can trade it?

Thanks for the book recommendations. Lately, my general houseplant books aren't cutting it. I was just thinking yesterday that I need something more specific. I will look into those you mentioned.

FF

• FrugalFanny
    11 years ago

Stush, I have to tell you, I've downloaded the two books, and they are fabulous! Just what I needed. Hermine Stover's writing is fantastic! Dows anybody know if she's still living? I would love to get in touch with her. I am thoroughly entertained. THANK YOU!

FF

This post was edited by FrugalFanny on Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 14:55

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Stush, thanks for the links on the books. I have enjoyed Hermine's book before, but didn't know the other one was available for download. I spent some time leafing through it today.

Hermine is definitely still living. She has a list called Sansevierias over on Yahoo groups. There is lots of good info over there as well.

It's the first day of spring! Although we are expecting a freeze tonight here in north Ga. Won't be long till it warms up!

Original Author
    11 years ago

FF,
    You are right about Silver Flame. I was only going on my memory which is poor at best. Hermine Stover is also a member of this forum. I don't think she always checks in. I was able to tell her how honored I was to have met her here and thanked her.
    Norma, Chris, Mike, Mike and some others are also members on that other site.
    Stush

• FrugalFanny
    11 years ago

bmock and stush,

So glad she's still around! I have to get in touch.

FF

Original Author
    11 years ago

FF,
    I think Norma is personal friends with Hermine. Maybe Mike or Chris will tell her to check in with us? Karen do you know?
    Stush

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

Fanny, I have a couple of broken leaves on my golden hahnii and was thinking of rooting them. Do they propagate true from leaves?

• josmik
    11 years ago

Laura, this is my experience with propagating golden hahnii from leaf cuttings. Seems like albino though there are some greenish areas on the leaves.. there were two plain green pups too but I removed them to make more space for these beauties..

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Hello all! I am no longer a member of that other group. It was fun but way too off track most of the time. When I was having other problems with Yaloo I quit. I had sent Hermine a large plant in trade once and never got what was promised in return. I don't think that was intentional and hold no regrets.....she is a very colorful person with a lot of interests in life and I think she is very active in work and many personal interests and spreads herself thin. I do absolutely love Hermine's writing style and sense of humor. She knows her plants and you can learn someting and roll on the floor laughing at the same time when reading something she has written. Dear Norma knows her well.

• FrugalFanny
    11 years ago

Laura, I have a leaf or two or golden hahnii rooted but they're taking forever to grow any pups, so from my own experience I cannot answer your question, but josmik has some GORGEOUS babies! I hope mine will make something like that. I have propagated some green ones from green leaves in much less time, which is to be expected.

I agree with woodnative that Hermine's writing is informative and humorous at the same time, which is why I went so crazy when I read it:) It takes a certain kind of person to be able to pull that off.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.
    FF

This post was edited by FrugalFanny on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 13:53

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

I figured now that spring was here that it might be a good chance to try to propagate those leaves. I love to see what I'll get. Here's hoping!

BTW, thanks ALOT for getting me all hooked on Sans. I picked a small Eve (reverse Whitney) last night at HD. So if you're looking for something like that, it seems that some neat varieties are hitting the BBS.

• greendale
    11 years ago

Oh, stush, sorry about your bantel sensation. My moonshine is not looking good now, but with spring coming, hope it will regain its strength. And nice hahnii you got over there.