Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brodyjames_gw

Thought it was a cylindrica, but is it?

brodyjames_gw
14 years ago

Hi all,

I bought this plant a week or so ago and thought it was a neglected cylindrica. Upon closer inspection after letting it acclimate to my home, I'm not so sure. It fans out like a cylindrica, but the leaves are more oval in shape than round, and there are grooves in the leaves as well. The texture is not as smooth as my other cylindrica, and I noticed that one of the newer leaves has a very noticeable channel in it. If more pictures would help, please let me know. Thanks for your help!

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown Sans

Comments (16)

• hadrian
    14 years ago

hi Nancy,

other experts may be able to help you, but i would need some more photos of the plant. specifically one of the entire plant and one with a size reference (or give size specifics).

Bri.

• brodyjames_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bri,
    Thanks for trying to help me. I added 3 new pics. Hope they help!

Nancy

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

Oh poo this is gonna bug me. The name is on the tip of my brain but I just can't get it out! Definitely not Sans cylindrica...YARGH!

Oooh c'mon brain!

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

So I couldn't for the life of my pull the name from my brain so I googled and I think it's a Sans. suffruticosa. Now my brain's not jumping and screaming at me 'THIS IS IT, THIS IS IT!' so I'm not 100%, but from the pics and descriptions it's pretty darn close.

But in the search I did happen across a Sans that I had no idea that I must have, but now that I know I must have it, I'm gonna be a monster until I get it. Sansevieria ehrenbergii.

• hadrian
    14 years ago

hey Bunnygurl,

Sans. ehrenbergii are very nice, aren't they? i would like one as well. i haven't been able to find one for sale locally and i don't like to buy plants online. if you find a good place, let me know.

Nancy,

thanks for posting more pictures. i think Normal was addressing your thread in a new thread she opened up. and i think i agree with her that your plant might be S. cylindrica (which confirms your guess). i used to think that S. cylindrica only came in thick leaves like most pictures of S. cylindrica 'Skyline'. but have since learned that there is a huge range of forms that are all S. cylindrica. your's does look different from my S. cylindrica. but Norma is a pretty reliable source. and to make things more confusing; bunnygurl could be right about S. suffriticosa. they are fairly similar. although my impression is that S. suffriticosa has thinner leaves than your plant.

either way, it's a nice plant. i love cylindrically leafed Sans.

Bri.

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

Hi Bri.

Heaven knows I'm not gonna find Sans. ehrenbergii here in Canada. It was a stretch and a total miracle that I found a Sans. cylindrica a few months ago. I found a Sansevieria Ehrenbergi 'samurai' on Ebay from Bangkok, Thailand for $10 but the shipping is the killer. $40. The seller has a 100% positive rating so I wouldn't be too terribly worried about getting scammed or whatnot...it's just the shipping that's holding me back, along with a Sansevieria kirkii var. kirkii "Superclone", Sans. lavranos and a Sans. patens but the patens isn't so bad with shipping at $16...

Perhaps I should start a Sans. savings account just for buying Sans. Ah who am I kidding? I can never stick to a budget when it comes to plants.

Nancy,

I agree with Bri. It's still a nice plant no matter what it's called. Take good care of it and give it a hug for me...yes...I like to hug nice plants...

• brodyjames_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So, add to my confusion...please! How many varieties of S. cylindrica are there? I've only heard of two: cylindrica and skyline. (What did I get into when I fell in love with Sans? :) )

• isusandi
    14 years ago

I thought your sans is S. cylindrica var. patula

{{gwi:1249229}}

This'is mine: the variegated one

Indra

• hadrian
    14 years ago

hi Indra,

wow, that variegated S. cylindrica is spectacular.

Bri.

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Maybe/perhaps to all the above. Norma

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Bri will know. He is Savvy. If the leaves flop it could be Cylindrica v. patula. S. cylindrica the leaves grow straight up, 3 to a growth and cv. 'Skyline' they are stiff very learge they fan, and can have 16 leaves to a growth. But then is that beautiful variegated plant. That's hard to beat. I can't ID from a picture I'm having enough proplems just spelling,LOL. Now if it starts sending out stolens from nodes on the stem, it is suffruticosa,then we are in big trouble because there are many forms of them all in the family that look alike, grow alike, many cousins, a large family. Norma

• brodyjames_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am now thinking that my unidentified sans is a patula. Cylindrica has sent up many babies which are straight and thin, while the other one has sent up one baby which is curving slightly and is thick like momma.

S. cylindrica
    {{gwi:1249231}}
    Sorry, I couldn't get it flipped!

S. cylindrica var. patula?

Nancy

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

San. Cylindrica v. cyndrical 3 leaves to a growth and straight up, don't have those deep flat channels. Cylindrica v patula are thinner, droop when they grow tall enough, they are not stiff, and usually 7 leafs to a growth. The miniature varieties, 8-10 tall, round very small around, may droop, rhizome may be above the ground depending on the depth of the pot. No more then three leaves to a growth. I have them growing both ways. with several tiny line channels.
    Sans. stuckyi 1 leaf to growth at least 5" around with a small pencil thin channael the full length of the leaf. New growth very fast and reach the height of the mother within a year. Cylindria forms, varieties will not have stolens (new growth) coming out between the leaves.
    Now is any one thinks they may have another form, please post here and let the group decide. I am not the expert, but I trust the people who gave these to me with the labels who are the are considered experts. Norma

• tf.-drone
    13 years ago

Please mind,

all plants shown are still young(er) plants, not mature, and hence look differently than a fully grown.

Still, I vote for S. cylindrica, since offsets seem to be subterranean. S. suffruticosa has aerial offsets.

Helli

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Helli, you found the words I was looking for aerial offsets. Thanks, The first picture looks like leaf cuttings of 'Skyline' all stuffed into a pot straight up to look like a plant, when you repot it you will find that each leaf is a separate rooted leaf if I am correct. I have never seen a S. cylindrica grow like that, Helli what is your impression of Brody's first picture above? Brody be careful, if I'm correct it will break the pot very soon. Don't put Sansevieria in expensive pots, I must admit I broke that rule and one broke my great Japanese show pot. Norma

• tf.-drone
    13 years ago

Hi Norma,

the first photo is what I meant. I think it is a middle stage cylindrica. The leaves have already no channel and offsets are subterranean, so suffruticosa should be ruled out.

Helli