Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stush49

Got to stay away from the stores

At it again. Couldn't control myself. I bought another sans due to the extra yellow stripes down the centers. Nothing special. Unknown ID. It is a Futura or even a Compacta. Who cares. I love it.

Water soaked and started to rot. Took out of pot and found two planted together. Removed all the peat soil and repotted into a window box with the others I had planed to repot this spring.

One thing about these is that they are not all that temperamental. They can take almost anything thrown at them.

Stush

PS I wished I used SansStan for a nick name

Comments (16)

• plantomaniac08
    12 years ago

Stush,
    As always, I am envious of your beautiful Sansevierias. Our local Wal-Marts never have anything as interesting as the Sansevieria you found (That's when they do have some; it's a rare find for me to even see one at a local Wal-Mart here). You did a great job of cleaning them up, perhaps you heard a small sigh of relief coming from the pot when they saw you headed their way. :) What did your wife say when you came home with them? Hehe. I think Hubby would feel a little overwhelmed if I had as many plants as I wanted to have.

Planto

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Planto,
    Thank God for my wife. She keeps me limited in my plant collection. Her idea is 'ok maybe one or two'. My idea is a want a collection of each one I can find. I want one of each there is. A collection of each is even better.
    BTW, there was an all black sans there marked the same as all the others 'Sans. Gold Hahnii', yeah right.

I am lucky that there are few people here that love sans like I do. That is why I am able to find them at Giant Eagle, Home Depot, Wal-Marts and Lowes. Nobody else seems to be buying them.

• lovemysans
    12 years ago

Hi Stush!

Wow they look beautiful after the re potting! Whoohoo!

• hijole
    12 years ago

Stush, I would say they are stocking the shelfs up for you only. The have you on their radar and they ready know your buying patterns, plus the fact that your addicted to sanseverias, LOL ..

I know the feeling I went to my local farmers market yesterday and the only thing that helped me was the fact that I arrived to late, and the vendor was already gone, other wise I woulda made a purchase for sure.
    Hey on a positive note they sure are good looking plants. Hey stush, yesterday I went later on to a really nice nursery out in Santa Monica beach and O boy!!! They had all kinds of nice succulent displays plus dome sans with yellow edges about 4 ft tall with dark green and bright yellow edges, they were gorgeous! The only thing that stopped me was they were rediculously ( oops ) priced .

Greg

• plantomaniac08
    12 years ago

Stush,
    Haha, Hubby does the same to me, as I want to bring home just about everything "new" (it's new to me at least) I find that grabs my attention. A black Sansevieria ? Wow, I would love see one of those. The every year varieties we get include Sansevieria trifasciata (both with yellow edging and without) and Sansevieria trifasciata 'Futura.' I've seen one or two bird nests (Jade marginata and Golden) and a couple Moonshines over the last few years (Now that I have an interest in purchasing a Moonshine, I can't seem to find one in town now... go figure).

I don't have the room for a large Sansevieria trifasciata, so all I have at the moment is a Sansevieria trifasciata 'Futura'. Our dog has already managed to jump onto our kitchen table and eat a bowl of chocolates, the last thing I need is a plant within her reach. If anything, I will enjoy coming on here to see the collections of others on here (As I do, you already know I'm jealous of you).

Planto

Original Author
    12 years ago

Planto, No need to be jealous, (I know your teasing) I am also looking for a Moonshine to complete my collection. Some really nice people here (I don't know if they want to be known) gave me some really nice sans including some of the other spices that I don't have. Up until now mine was all trifasciata. Up until a year ago that's all I knew that existed.

Greg, How's your sans doing? With your nice weather you should be taking the lead. The one pup I got is starting to pass up the mother plant. She lost some leaves thru winter but is starting to rebound. I have given to me a S.Tri~'Gray Lady' that looks simular to your silver one. Keep me posted on that one. I like it.

Thanks lovemysans. Nice nickname.

Maybe this forum will come alive now with the nice weather.

• plantomaniac08
    12 years ago

Stush,
    Yep, just teasing. :)

• hijole
    12 years ago

Stush, the weather keeps bouncing all over the place giving the weather man a run for his money. It goes from hot to cold over night and just yesterday I took my sans outside on my way out to the beach , got home and forgot about her about 4:30 am and thought O boy!!!
    Do you think I went outside to get her? Nope. I said sorry sans, get tough or die. Well I did bring her back inside after I got up and she looked fine but time will tell.
    I have lost some leafs and have two remaining strong ones surviving, that look promising, let's see what the next few weeks bring for her I hope everyone's is doing well considering where we all live, maybe we should be looking at update pics soon,

Yours still ok Josh? You've been a little quite lately brother.

Greg

• lovemysans
    12 years ago

Hi Stush!

Oooh,a black san... Maybe just one more Stush?

Take care!

• woodnative
    12 years ago

Good find!!! I am curious (and hope) that those extra stripes will continue with each new pup. It seems like I see these more with box store Sans, and I am wondering if when the growers "force" them under ideal conditions they are more likely to show these extra stripes. Hopefully it will continue, and either way a nice looking plant. That window box will look GREAT as it fills up!

• woodnative
    12 years ago

BTW, I don't currently have 'Moonshine' or I would send you one. I used to have this, but gave it away when I ran short of space. I may have to get another, as it is a beautiful Sans. It may be "common" now, but that is because it is a good grower. It it was a brand new sport, I am sure it would demand a HUGE price. I see 'Moonshine' pretty often in the box stores. I also noticed several small plants in Petco recently, in their reptile section where they sell small plants to "landscape" vivariums. I believe they were $2.99 each.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Chris,
    I noticed the extra stripes in the mother plant and not in the pups. When I tour apart, I found that they were 2 separate plants put together. Maybe I should have planted that striped one by itself? Well anyway, I will keep a eye out on that one.

Greg,
    If I turned into a plant, I think it would be a sans with cactus spines. Look but don't touch. Don't think along these lines too much. Not good. (from your other post)

Lovemysans,
    The black one was just the same as the ones I bought, minus the yellow. I like the contrast of the colors.

• hijole
    12 years ago

Stush, what do you mean not good, or dont ask, Lol...

Hey so what is this I hear about a Black Saneveria, and without a picture too let us see it, that isnt right. I've never even heard there was a black one.

Well Stush do you at least remember the movie?

Greg

Original Author
    12 years ago

Greg,
    I do. He was in the navy too. First dolphin to join. He made loud noises. Was Tim Conway in also?

By black I mean a very dark green.

• hijole
    12 years ago

Stush my friend, Yes indeed, Thats the one I actually forgot the Navy part although I do remember him working for the military on a "Special Assignment," Lol...

I dont remember Tim Conway being in it I was only paying attention to the dolphin Hahaha.

Stush, As soon as you you get a chance to post it I'd like to see that beauty, sounds like one I would like to add to my collection also.

I received my Agave's from Chapparalgirl "Jessica" the other day cute little guys I planted them immediately by just sticking them into a pot as I was walking by just to get them in soil.

Have a good day,

Greg

Original Author
    12 years ago

Greg,
    Isn't Agave Girl wonderful? How nice to think of us on Garden web when she saw all those Agaves cut up there in the sun to die. Mine are doing great. The one without roots has already started to form roots. I'll post a picture of it on C&S site as soon as it warms up here again.
    I thought of buying that black sans and sending it out to anyone who wanted it, but the p&H would be more than the plant cost. Their were some in January on a rack marked clearance for about $1 (I think). I wanted the yellow stripes instead. Solid black (dark green)with no marks that I could notice just didn't do it for me. It is possible they were 'Black Jade', a birdnest type. They were already 6 inches high so it may not be. Didn't see them again so some one else must be on look-out here.