Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankc1964

Buying Small Plants

frankc1964
10 years ago

Back in the day I had several nice sans but when I moved I had to give them away because of window issues.

Now I have a different house with lots of big windows and it's perfect for sans among other plants. Also have a big office with great windows.

I made a few purchases but it's tough to find good plants that are not "beat up". Many of plants I had before actually came from my mother who kept them when I was growing up. They were alway in perfect condition and as we split them up we always got perfect plants.

I would rather start with very small plant and grow them myself as opposed to buying a 2-3 foot plant that has all the tops broken and split.

I have picked up a few good places from the forum already (Smoley) - just need some warmer weather to ship.

I may try taking one or two plants and cut them down, letting them start from scratch. Any advice would be appreciated.

It's not that the plants look that bad but we had some beautiful snake plants (10 years ago) so I know what a fine specimen should look like.

I now have great growing conditions so I am exited to a few more going. The sans work perfect for me because sometime I travel for two or three day and I don't have worry about leaving the heat turned up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (5)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I think the quickest route would be to get the inexpensive, beat-up plant from the BBS. Should be about $10 for a fairly large pot. Scars from previous mechanical damage don't affect the health/vigor of the plant, just the appearance.

If you put them by a well-lit window, or outside this summer, you'll have a whole crop of beautiful new pups - assuming there is room in the pot for them to form/grow. You can then remove the old, beat-up leaves (and use them to propagate even more new plants as well.) If you have somewhere in the ground to put them for summer, you should have more than you know what to do with by fall. Although they will tolerate sitting in a corner, doing nothing for years, Sans grow really fast in the conditions that allow it to do so.

• frankc1964
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just got a few last week at HomeDepot and separate out all the good sections and repotted. Once the weather breaks I am going to buy some bigger ones and break them up into smaller pots.

I am going to try the outside route as well. I don't have a bed to put them in but I do have a huge bucket planter that would work.

Will the leaf cuttings tolerate full sun or is it better to put it in a partially shaded area?

I am going to do an order with Smoley just to get some variety.

Thanks again.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Sounds great! I use 5-gallon buckets for these during winter. I would go morning or late afternoon sun for cuttings. Mid-day sun could be too much. You might want to try one or two leaves in water too, that's fun to watch. Really tall leaves can be cut into several cuttings, just keep track of which way they go.

You probably already know, but it would be safest to acclimate your plants over a couple weeks to the direct sun outside.

• frankc1964
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have several plants right now that I got at a discount because they are in pretty bad shape and I guess they were not going to sell. I am going to harvest some leaves but it still very cold here and the house is cool in the daytime when I am gone. I want to wait a week or two until the cold breaks.

I am going to cut the two bad ones right down to soil level and see it they sprout new leaves.

Is it best to leave an inch or two above the soil or take them down to root below the soil?

Thanks in advance!

• zzackey
    10 years ago

If you have a garden club or and Ag center near you they usually have annual plant sales. I know we have several nice sansverias ready for our sale in Baker County, Florida. The prices are usually cheap at a place like this too and the plants aren't beat up.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21