Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michaela_gw

S. kirkii pulchra 'Coppertone' starts flowering

Michaela
11 years ago

Kirkii 'Coppertone' is sending up a couple of flowers here. These flowers are not commonly seen. The salmon color we associate with 'Coppertone' will return in the summer with more light.

The flowers appear to be on a stalk and capitate. I will post more pictures when flowering appears.

Comments (28)

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Mike-
    That is awesome!! You know how to grow these.......I don't see a single blemish on that plant!! Keep us updated on the flowering. Hope you get seeds on this one too!! Approximately how big is that plant (and what size pot)?? -Chris

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

Mike - simply GLORIOUS!!!

WOWOW !

Michael
    Interlaken NY Z6

• Michaela
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Chris and Michael, I'll post 2 more pictures taken this morning showing some size scale for the plant, and a couple 'bonus pictures' for information. I'll do my best to pollinate it!

• Michaela
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The tallest flower stalk is now a full 12 inches tall and evidently still growing taller!

• Michaela
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A leaf cut showing characteristic leaf shape at the base.

• Michaela
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And finally the provenance.

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Wow, Mike you really outdid yourself on this one. You could win first prize in a garden show.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Holy smokes! That's what I noticed first were the pristine leaves, after of course the exquisite form!

That's really something.

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Hi Mike,

I was wondering about the label. I can't quite figure out all the abbreviations and numbers. Is the plant from the Huntington Gardens? Have you had it since '83, or is that '88? Just curious.

• Michaela
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Barb,
    "ex" means 'from', so this coppertone plant (more precisely, its ancestor) was received by The Huntington Botanical Gardens From the Univ. of CA - Davis in what seems to be 1988, Sometime after that date, the original plant, or plants, were reproduced by the HBG probably from leaf cuts. Then, in about 2001-03, Norma had a 'plant party' for anybody who could come and we all went to the HBG where several Sansevieria species, including coppertone, were made available to us for a nominal fee. At this time, I would guess the plants were 3 years old. So, I would guess my flowering plants are about 12 years old. The numbers by the USA and HBG are some sort of accession numbers.

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Thanks Mike,

It really adds a lot of interest to have the history. Also shows us beginners what 12 years of good care can accomplish.

• Michaela
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I suppose the 'adding interest' part is true, but sometimes time and blind luck enter the picture - as is the case here with this plant. Ha!

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Well, you do seem to have a pretty good track record.

How long do you think you go between repotting?

• Michaela
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Somewhat depends on how big the pot is and how big the plant is. I have a masoniana that is at least 15 years old and HUGE and HEAVY. I haven't repotted it in about 8 years and have no plans to do it again. It is a backbreaking chore.
    I used to repot trifasciatas (not the Hahnii's) ABOUT every 3rd year because they would fill up the pot. I used the opportunity to cull any reversions or uglies.
    When the roots start pushing the plant up and exposing the rhizomes, its definitely time to repot; you want your new growth to come from below soil surface if possible.
    On non-trifasciatas, I would probably repot about every 4th year-something like that. I have a few plants like coppertone and kirkii 'silver blue' that I have never repotted because they seemed to be growing nicely enough. I always use new potting mix when repotting.

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Good to know. It sounds like they like to be left alone for quite a while. Maybe that's a part of the reason you are getting blooms on the Silver Blue and Coppertone.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Beautiful plant. That will be stunning when both flower spikes bloom.

Mike

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Very nice layout Mike. I have just purchased a coppertone and waiting to see what it looks like.
    Stush

• Michaela
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The bloom stalks on this plant are now twice as tall as they were when I posted the picture and the flower heads are well over the leaves. The twin stalks remind me of an old river paddleboat with twin smoke stacks. The heads are just barely beginning to open. I'll post some more pictures in a week or so. It promises to be unusual and unique!
    M.

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Mike, How are the blooms coming along? It must be time for some more pix!

• Michaela
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Flowers are getting gi-normous, Barb. I was away all last week so the flowers were a pleasant surprise to me when I got back. I will post more pics at the first sign of opening. Thanks for asking and Happy Easter to everyone!

• Michaela
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The 'Coppertone' flowered a few days ago and I'm posting three pictures here. The stalks are 12 and 14 inches long, and the flower tubes are 5-6 inches long. It is a beautiful flower that begins to sag only a day after the tip opens to expose the stamens and pistil. The leaf color that gives the plant its name will return at the end of the summer when I move the plant outdoors. The 2 flowers come from 2 different plants whose origin is either from seed or leaf cuttings of the same plant.

• Michaela
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A second picture of 'Coppertone'.....

• Michaela
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A third picture of the flower from S. kirkii var. pulchra 'Coppertone'....

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Awesome! The black background really makes the flowers pop. Too bad they can't last a little longer.

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

Like white fireworks! Thanks so much for sharing this!

• nil13
    11 years ago

oh I can't wait for mine to grow up.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Mike,
    I love the way you laid out the photo. Great job.
    Also The seed you sent me is dead. It just got darker and then went soft. Oh well. Next time I' let it dry out for a week or two before planting.