Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

Sanseverias with green and gray shades: Help with Name:

hijole
12 years ago

Picture of one of my new sans I was mentioning the other day that I have no idea what the correct Name for this spieces is, I'm talking about the one in front of the larger pot.

If anyone knows the Name of this plant I would appreciate the help. Thanks

Greg

Comments (22)

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Greg,

The front Sans. right? The pale, light green gray one right? I think it may be Moonshine (as I know it), sometimes they have a dark green color on the outer edge of the leaves, quite striking (I think I can faintly see this in your pic). If it is that, the leaves will darken in color as they age, darkening to almost regular Sans. green & new pups will be pale like this (sorry, & I'll add I prefer them younger & pale green like this). Nice find.

You'll take the foil off that pot, right? Also, I'm not sure if this pale Sans can take direct sun, if that pic is taken outside.

• hijole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

P.G, Thanks for the response, Yeah the plant is sitting in a porch with no direct light, And the foil is about to drop soon if you think it will be harmful to the plant.

Greg

• lovemysans
    12 years ago

Hi Greg and pirate girl,

This one might be a Sansevieria Seafoam. If it is, it will stay a pale lime green color. It looks similar to Moonshine. It sure is beautiful Greg. I'd keep it away from direct sun. Take care.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

I have one similar, Sansevieria trifasciata 'Silver Laurentii'. This one gets yellow margins as like Laurentii. Also starts a light green and darkens with age.

So, Lovemysans, you say Seafoam stays this light color? Sound like a very nice addition to any collection.
    I just received 'Gray Lady' which looks promising. Grows large like the Laurentii group.

• hijole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lovemysans and stush, I love both of those names however if it means anything, where I got these at H/D , they also had some mature ones in 5 gal. containers and they were all uniformly the same shade of pale green.

Mine are out of direct sun light sitting on a north facing porch, no direct sun right now anyway, maybe in a couple months the direct sun will move in and I'll move them then, but in the mean time I'll make sure the sun dont shine where my moonshine sits Lol...

Stush, yours look excellent as always thanks for all your help too.

Greg

• lovemysans
    12 years ago

Hi Stush,

It's beautiful isn't it? Yes, Sanseveria Seafoam stays that way. New addition, huh? Enjoy!

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Greg, pls. remove the foil wrapping immediately, it interferes w/ drainage.

Sorry, I thought this was common sense, but really, take it off ASAP pls!

• hijole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pirate girl, Ok, ok... I said if it was harming the Sans it would be removed immediately, but only at your word.

It's OFF!!! :)
    And thanks for the support too,

Greg

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hey LovemySans (LMS),

Sorry I zipped past you before. Thanks for the info. on this; I haven't heard of or run across S. Seafoam & if it stays this way I'd really like to find one too! I'm quite partial to the very pale green, it reminds me of sculptural marble (like in statues).

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

The one in the front is San t. 'Moonshine' and will stay that way. That is the reason for the name, the one in the back is S. 'Laurentii Silver which is a sport of the species names looked up in The Sansevieria Trifasciata Varieties by Juan Chahinian. The new leaves will be silver, but turn just like the others in the pot. Norma

• lovemysans
    12 years ago

Hi Greg!

Hi pirate girl,I agree!

Hi Norma! The one in the front is very similar to Moonshine, but unlike Moonshine it stays this pale lime green color. Isn't it beautiful? I believe it is called Sansevieria Seafoam. Thank you Norma for the S. 'Laurentii Silver information!Take care!

• hijole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, I'm just the observer here I don't actually know text book wise however at my local Home Depot this spieces is available with the same color and again, there is never a change in color on any of the leafs therefore I think by that observation it would be the Seafoam type of sans , Hey were all learning here , It's my plant and I don't even know what It's called other than a nice plant.

So lovemysans, based on the type we have here, what are propagating conditions for this type, can I cut leafs and stick emm in the same soil to increase my collection and what's the best time, season . For this?

Greg

• lovemysans
    12 years ago

Hi Greg!

Do you know what they named it at Home Depot? I did some more research on this one and some people do refer to it as Moonshine despite its color, others as Seafoam.

As far as propagating this one Greg, I am not sure if it reverts to a deeper color if propagated by leaf cuttings. If I come across more information about it I'll pass it on to you. Take care!

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Greg,

About Starting Sans. from leaves, pls. do a search here at GardenWeb, for it, I've written about it here myself (forgot if it's at Sans. forum, C&S or Houseplants, so if you search for GW you'll find it. There may also be an FAQ for it, I forget.

• hijole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lovemysans and pirate girl, I went to H/D today and wouldn't you know it the containers all say Sanseverias. No spieces name except sans.
    So I simply cut one leaf and I'm letting it dry out a couple days and into the soil he'll go, Yup and then will see what happens, that's usually how I use to do it and if it works I'm happy, if not I rule it out as it didn't work. I'll let you guys know what develops.

Grrg

• lovemysans
    12 years ago

H Greg!

Thank you for checking! That's great you're gonna go ahead and give the propagation a try Greg. Yes, let us know what happens! Take care!

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Not sure if you tried the searches I suggested Greg, I tried them & unfortunately didn't see the results I expected, sorry. So the short version is this:

Put the leaf in the smallest pot possible, if using mix, just put a couple of inches of it in the pot (so it's not deep) & most important, to keep track of which end is down (or it won't work). Then give it lots of time & pls. don't water.

It can take quite some time Greg, so pls. be prepared to wait & do nothing. Enjoy!

• hijole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks pirate girl will do, and I have a new pic coming up minus the tin foil with some nice flowers.

Greg

• lovemysans
    12 years ago

Hi Greg!

Another possible name for this plant might be silver sheen.

I saw a plant that looks similar, it grows fairly tall though when mature, it stays a pale color and they called it silver sheen.

How is she doing Greg?

Take care!

• hijole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello lovemysans, Well from the way she looks it's all well, I just cant wait for some new growth, I've been hearing that this certain spieces isnt as fussy as the Sans. bantel sensation.
    That one is a very tempermental one but she sure looks nice so she's worth the work I've been investing into her.

Thanks for the I.D check
    take care yourself,

Greg

• mlwich
    11 years ago

Got a question about the Moonshine Sanseveria. Mine has turned dark. I have it in window with other types of Sanseveria. There is no sun in this window and gets medium light as the window is facing covered porch. Is this normal with not much bright light?

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

It's Moonshine's normal behavior as it ages for the green to darken. That's just what it does; it's fine, absolutely normal, you need not be worried that it's a problem.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County