Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djliquidice

Each new cutting in it's own pot?

djliquidice
10 years ago

Hello members. Question I can't find a straight answer on: I have just started a leaf cutting from my main Sansevieria plant. I divided a leaf into 4 pieces to attempt their own rooting. My question is, if each piece successfully roots and starts a new pup, should I then replant each new plant in it's own pot in hopes that it eventually splits off like my main mother plant?....or should I replant more than one piece in a pot?

Yes, I'm brand new to this, but it's already consuming all internet activity I spend online, I'm obsessed!!!

Comments (6)

• Michaela
    10 years ago

If you are successful with your cuttings, any new pups will very likely look like the normal trifasciata (i.e without the yellow margins). Some of your cuttings might have several pups. You can do whatever you want with any pups. If you want to fill a pot quickly you can keep them all in one pot, or you can make more than one new pot of plants.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

As stated, you will loose that yellow edges in the new offspring. It takes a while (months) before you see any new gowth. I have done the same only because I had the leaves broke off and didn't want to throw away. I find it more rewarding to buy clearance items in the stores and nurse back to health. They should start appearing next month most areas. I've gotten a nice 4" pot full for about $3.
    Stush

• djliquidice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

awesome! Thanks for the replies. This is my first attempt in leaf cuttings, so I'm hoping for success and seeing some growth. I think if they do sprout, I will give each their own home in a new pot to see if they take off into a a future larger plant. I will also keep my eyes open for sale plants. I do like the yellow edge and will miss that with the leaf cuttings. My big plant I bought from Walmart of all places, so I'll keep watching them as I haven't seen anywhere else near me that sells plants. Someone mentioned Lowes somewhere, so I may search out a location to see what they have.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

I have found some nice plants and cheap in Grocery Stores, Lowes, Home Depot, K-Marts, Wal-Marts. just about anywhere now.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I'd leave them all in one pot, they'll grow better that way.

If you MUST separate them into single pots each, I'd BE SURE to add about 50% perlite to that mix.

When you next have a chance, I'd also add 30-50% pertlite to the main pot. That's too peaty a mix, likely to drain too slowly & if potted too large into the mix, more prone to root rot. Sorry, but true I suspect.

• Trail_Mix
    9 years ago

I think it's more or less a matter of personal preference, just don't over-pot the cuttings if individually potting them and I agree with pirate_girl, add more perlite! If you don't have any, do yourself a favor and just buy a huge bag of coarse perlite or something. If you want something for propagation mediums, you could use parboiled rice hulls in place of perlite, assuming the cuttings root and will be re-potted in a year, but you MUST provide the plant with drainage and the root zone with aeration, though Sans tend to be more tolerant of damp soil than most succulents, still!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!