Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stush49

New Contest, read all about it!

Ok, Since I lost the last sans contest we had. I now invite all (except Norma) to an new contest. Who has a photo proving the widest leaf on a Sansevieria trifasciata group of plants. I know the Futura type should be in the winner circle.

Ok Norma you can enter. I know you would win if you do.

Also if I ever get to go to Calf. again, I want to go to the Huntington Gardens and meet Norma there, And call my friend Greg and Josh for a congratulation drink. Anyone else can come on over and celebrate.

Comments (24)

• lovemysans
    12 years ago

Hi Stush!

Good one! I'm out, but I can't wait to see the results...

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

I won't enter a contest, I don't even like to compete.

• hijole
    12 years ago

Stush, As I said earlier I would first need a plant speices to compete with first.

I'm In once I get my hands on one. I'll look for the type you mentioned hopefully this coming week.

Throw a picture of one up again to see a fresh look at one please.

Greg

• bonsaigai
    12 years ago

I afraid I'm like Norma in this respect. I'm not a good compete-type person. I mentioned "gloving up" in the last one. I've never thrown a punch in my LIFE!

Ok, so the pictures posted will be nice to see.

Michael

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, I coming out swinging. Here's the first picture. It is my widest leaf. All the others measure 3 inches, this one is a full 3-1/2 inches. Take a good look at the new leaf coming up next to it. Now 3 inches maybe more in a few months.

I believe it to be a Futura type, or maybe a Compacta. Your guess. also the one I am sending Greg.
    {{gwi:509691}}
    It should be a contender in a few months in his good hot Calf. sun.
    Just for fun guys. You know I am a good loser.
    Stush

• woodnative
    12 years ago

Hey Stush! Glad you are helping to keep this forum active!! Hmmm. None of my Futura types are that mature, so I am out. Like the pics above though. Maybe I can sneak in a 'Mason Congo' (S. masoniana) and stick a trifasciata label on it......but I am too honest for that! Stush I like the nice wide margins on your plant in the photo.

• lovemysans
    12 years ago

Hi Stush!

Nice... I agree with Woodnative the wide margins look amazing!

Hi Woodnative!

Thanks for the laugh, haha!

Take care!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Chris, I have a trifasciata Laurentii that has more yellow on it than green. Would be nice to pass this along in it's pups. Then I would have some thing.

Lovemysans, I really love that name. I should have used Sanstush. or something more in line with my favorite plants.

• hijole
    12 years ago

Stush, check this out, I was about to throw a punch and then realized I haven't even entered the ring yet, hahaha...

Ok, so today I'm off and I'm at Santa Monica beach with my beautiful wife, we just had lunch and we are parked along pacific coast Hwy, It's beautiful.... After a while I'll be stopping at some nurseries I've mentioned before called The Leaf and Pedal Nursery. O.M. G. They have such nice assortments of cacti & succulents you've ever seen.

Stush, back to the point, your wide leafs are very impressive alright boy that's going to be suicides getting into the ring with those broad shoulders, let me think about this it feels like a set up if I ever seen one. But out of good sportsmanship, I'll do it ! Maybe will have to go two out of three or something, LOL...

Greg

• lovemysans
    12 years ago

Hi Stush!

Hehehe...Sanstush...Love it! We might not make very many friends in other forums with a names like these though.

• bonsaigai
    12 years ago

Stush,

Mamajack huh? Been there almost a year.

Sanstush? Sans-tush as in prickly-butt? You MUST come up with a better moniker!

Michael

Original Author
    12 years ago

Michael,
    Go to the Cacti & Succclent forum and look up 'Off Topic Funny!' Posted by: CorpsmanCooper. My new name may fit right in.
    I love Erin's sence of humor.

• hijole
    12 years ago

Stush, I have a question for you off topic if you don't mind, So now that the cold weather looks like its behind me here for a little bit at least, I have Q. about my Sans. Sensation bantel. Can they tolerate full sun here in my part of the country, zone 9-10 ?

I've been leaving him outside all this week to get some fresh air and some full sun off & on for the day but was thinking maybe its to much to soon. Do you happen to know there tolerance levels of full sun vs. Bright lighting prefreences?

Thanks stush,

Greg

Original Author
    12 years ago

Best guess, Those plants that show lots of variegation must be protected from direct sun, or most of direct sun. Morning sun is ok, but watch for leaf burn. I would put it in a brightly light area without direct sun. They like to be warm. The all green types of any plants love direct sun, even my green hostas can take most all day sun.
    Again only best guess. Any comments from others?
    BTW, the dark green one I sent you should be ok after acclimating it.

• hijole
    12 years ago

Thanks Stush, And it's good to hear from you too, I thought you were awol or on vacation.

Yeah thanks for the info. on the dark green one you sent me too I was also wondering about that one too.

The tempeture is 94 degrees today so I made sure before I left home today they were both in shaded areas but bright light was available for them.

Have a great weekend guys, Right now I am so busy with work and plus I just brought in a nice haul with some new plants and a bunch I'm trying to propagate I think I did to much cutting without enough time to replant them all so I'm super busy buying new pots and finding space for others in the ground, WHEW!!! can you feel how busy I am? LOL...

Greg

Original Author
    12 years ago

Lucky you.

• bonsaigai
    12 years ago

I think we should send Greg some of the snow, Stush. I just got 12 inches and had to call off work Monday because I couldn't get out of my driveway. The roads weren't clear until the afternoon. I stayed inside and scaled lilies, watered planted, and drank wine.

• hijole
    12 years ago

Michael, sounds good I'll use it for my ice tea LOL...
    Well guys let me tell you my 94 f degree temp on Friday dropped to 82 on sat. Then down to 79 on Sunday. Sprinkles on Monday and now today Tuesday they're saying rain .

On a good note I just got my first Agave Joe hoax ! Yeah man she or he is a beauty , No pictures yet but you can see one on the cacti & succulent page under " when one Agave isn't enough."

Michael kind of you to think of us in Calif. With all this crazy weather and all, that snow will make an awesome snow cone too I'll bet. Thanks

Greg
    !

Original Author
    12 years ago

Being south-west of Pittsburgh, I missed the snow althogether. We did get some low 32 degree temps. I stayed home also because that's what I do now that I'm retired.
    Stush

• bonsaigai
    12 years ago

Oh sure, you guys just keep rubbing it in...

Michael

Original Author
    11 years ago

ok, new plant, new leaf. This one is 3-3/4 inch. Not shown but has a nice yellow center stripe on the other side. Leaf is so thick and hard. Almost like a plastic plant.

• lovemysans
    11 years ago

Nice Stush! Hey! You never showed us your recent order at Bob's potted up! Would love to see some pics!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Lovemysans,
    Well some things just don't do well when your busy and don't get around to planting them all proper and all. They are barely hanging in there. I don't blame Bob for it but my own not handing them right. I know better but I think I lost a few. I have to get some pictures of the one I planted up from some here that gave me. I almost lost two beautiful sans due to the sudden cold dips we were getting last month. I have them in the house and they are just hanging on. No growth or anyrot either.
    Thanks to the kind folks here, I am starting to get a nice Sans collection myself. And to think I only knew of one species a few years ago.

• lovemysans
    11 years ago

Stush, I almost lost a few too in hydro. While I loved it because it was easier just to refill their saucers, they lost almost all their roots... Good thing I decided to change their pots and caught the root damage...

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County