Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need some advice, please!

Posted by bmock 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 8:51

It's almost time to put plants outside for the spring and summer season. I have a nice shady, covered front porch that would be a great spot for sans. But, I have had big trouble growing things out there. We live in the woods, and there are all kinds of critters running around looking for a nice salad. It may have been chipmunks, voles, rabbits, maybe even rats. Whatever it is, the plant would be sliced off at ground level or dug up and carried away. I had flower boxes on the porch railing that were cut to pieces too.

So my question is, has anyone had a problem like this before, and did you find a solution? I would love to have my plants out there this year.

I have a deck in the back that is open and up higher off the ground. No problems with the varmits out back.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need some advice, please!

Hey Barb,

I have notoriously destructive red squirrels that have left the Sans alone. <<>> Other critter seem to oblige as well. The local groundhogs/woodchucks ignore them as do the rabbits. It's all the other plants that suffer from attack.

Michael
Interlaken NY Z6

o

Thanks Michael,

That's interesting, maybe I will put a couple of sans out there as a test. I don't think I ever had sans out on the porch.

o

I agree with Mike, never had a critter problems with my Sans. But if that is all there is to eat, they may nibble and leave scares on the leaves.

o

Just be sure not to put bird feeders near your property! They attract the chippers and squirrels!

o

Skunks, raccoons and possums will also dig looking for tasty rhizomes. Try some cheap, common Sans, like the trifasciatas, that you can replace easily and see what happens on the front porch.

o

Laura, thanks, I do know not to put out bird feeders, if I did, I would be inviting a big black bear to come and visit

Mike. Yes, I'm gonna put a couple of my Walmart specials out for a trial.

One time I went so far as to put some cubes of rat poison down into the tunnels in the yard. I really don't want to do that again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here