Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sansevieria newbie, maybe

Posted by Stella1751 z4WY (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 23, 04 at 9:03

Two years ago, I purchased my daughter a small, 4" tall, houseplant at a local garden club sale. (She's into houseplants; I garden.) I was told at the time that this was a plant that could not be killed and so thought it would be ideal for my daughter.

My daughter moved in with me in February, bringing all her houseplants with her. True to the garden club member's word, the little plant was still alive. It was choking in its 6" pot, so, after eyeing it for a couple of weeks, I decided to help it out by repotting it and giving it some water and a little food. Turns out there were three plants in the same pot, so I gave each its own pot.

Question: What is it? The mature plant kind of looks like the photo at the top of this forum. Not as pretty, of course, nor as luxuriant. However, the leaves are the same shape and size, and they are variegated. They also spread out like those in the photo. The two young plants have upright leaves, four on the youngest, which is about 4" tall, and six on the next, which is about 6" tall. Someone said it is a Snake plant, but I can't imagine these leaves getting that tall, and they are not bordered in yellow.

Question: If it is a Sansevieria, what are the tenets of basic care for these? My daughter has graciously given me the old mother plant, which is pretty beaten up, and it has already given me a new baby plant. As a gardener, I have a pretty decent set-up for caring for plants indoors: lots of southern window exposure, a fluorescent light table, three different kinds of potting soil (Miracle Grow, African Violet Mix, and Pro Plus Potting Mix), and three different kinds of plant food (Fish/Kelp, Miracle Grow, and AV food).

I have become attached to this plant. It is obviously a tough customer to have survived this long, being all rootbound and dry like it was. Plus, knowing my daughter, I'm willing to bet it hasn't been fertilized in all that time. I would appreciate any advice. I'm not much of a houseplant grower.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sansevieria newbie, maybe

Oh. What size and type of pot, too! :)

o

• Posted by Cena S CA 10A (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 24, 04 at 1:47

I suspect, going by the photo, you have a 'birdsnest' type of Sansevieria. You can look over at our photo gallery, and get an idea of all the different types.

These tend to be more susceptible to overwatering, and damage from water in the crown of the plant. If you can find a deep corner, with light, that is tough to get to for watering, you have a perfect place for your new plant. They don't grow that fast, and repotting can be done when the pot is cracking, or you can't stand to look at it anymore. I would go up one inch in size, because of the damp desctuction, overpotting is a quick way to do them in.

o

Cena,

Thanks for responding! Okay. I will post little notes on the pots to remind me. "No water." And I will leave them alone, re: repotting. Can I put them outside in the summer?

o

• Posted by Wankel South Carolina (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 26, 04 at 10:26

I have about 30 Sans' and put all of them outside for the summer. I try to avoid direct sunlight right after taking them out of their winter spot in the garage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here