Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Light requirements

Posted by Mairzy_Dotes zone 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 04 at 10:49

I am a bit confused about the light requirments of the different species of these plants. Some of them look like their relatives, the agavies. It seems they would almost like some full sun, and yet all I read says bright light or even full shade. I have one sitting in my den, but it looks so "cactus-like", I worry that it is not getting enough light there. I also put some of them on a North side of a wall but at one spot it has a tree overhanging it and it is very shady under there. I have had the regular type of sans before and am well aware that they can take quite low light situations, but now that I have a few of the more diverse kinds, I am getting confused as to where I can safely put them. Any input on this would be appreciated.
Marcy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Light requirements

• Posted by alz_ z7b NC (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 8, 04 at 23:54

Hello Marcy,

Its me Al hehhe. Nice to see you again.

o

Hi Al....yes, I didn't hear from anyone over at the other forum for several days so I thought I'd see if anyone was around here with any input. Ha.
I notice messages appear here almost immediately while they have to wait to be approved over there too.
I also don't think people check the sans forums as often as they do other more general ones. Thanks again for your input on my questions.
Marcy

o

I have never grown Sansevieria in the ground, living in New Jersey. But I can tell you that the 'soft leaved' varieties seem to do better in some share, and the 'hard leaved' varieties seem to do better with more sun.

I try to never put any of my plants in an area where they get sun all day - from dawn to dusk. That's just too much sun for most plants. I try to provide at least 4 hours of sun, but no no more than 6 hours if possible. ALl of my sansevieria look great, and most flower when mature.

Sansevieria have a reputation for being low light plants because they can survive these conditions. But they don't thrive in low light. Some people also keep cactus in low light because they last a long time (if you don't water them at all). This doesn't mean that cactus will trhive in low light long term.

Joe 'but what do I know' DeRosa

o

Thanks Joe.....that is kind of the feeling I got when I look at some of them. It just seems that they would like more light. I think I will move the one out from under that overhang of the tree and let it get a bit more sun. Also, I guess I will move the other one from the low-lit family room to outside. It is warm enough here now. If I aquire any more of these things, I am going to have to make a special shelf or table or something for them.
Boy, plant collecting requires a lot of room I have discovered. Ha Ha
Marcy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here