Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonsaigai

You collect... what?

bonsaigai
12 years ago

Hello All,

One of the threads mentions our Sansevieria craving and that it makes people wonder... why?

I've had that all my life. I was planting trees in pots and growing them from seed since I was old enough to walk. (Ok - really I was three.) When I got all succulent crazy some 30 years ago, people couldn't understand my strange attraction to the cute little "cow pies." Recently, a skilled and very educated gardener just looked at the Sansevieria and shook his head. I guess it's all a matter of preference.

I also collect oodles of bulbs, trees, herbaceous perennials, and ferns. People love the garden - think it's a great place to visit - but Sansevieria? How could I, they think. Oh ye of little taste.

I love their form, from soft and silken to cardboard and leather. Hard bats of amusement and rugged structure, thrust into the air from pots of gravel and coir. (Or whatever you use...) I've had few bloom, but the flowers are lovely, fragrant and delicate. Who could ask for more!

So, I ask you, why do you grow'em? Perhaps, it's just to make another gardener curious.

Michael

NY Zone 6

Comments (16)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Michael, I love you, a person after my own heart. Who knows why. I am the only person I know who loves Sans untill I discovered this site. We are hooked. You will find more info here that you can shake a stick at. Enjoy and welcome.
    Stush

• lovemysans
    12 years ago

Hi Micheal!

They asked Juan Chahinian why he was so fascinated with Sansevierias. He stated as one of the reasons,"I don�t like to wait. I want a plant that is beautiful now, all year, not just for two weeks or a month while it is blooming". I agree...

• bonsaigai
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Exactly. My orchid friends may sneer at the Sansevieria, but I get a terrific looking plant all year! Consider the out of bloom Odontoglossum. "What a dump." (That's a comment that could raise the hackles on all the orchid growers out there...)

Not to say I don't GROW plants that only bloom once in a while... I like them to look good as much as possible throughout the year.

• plantomaniac08
    12 years ago

Michael,
    I think what attracted me to Sansevierias was their ease of care compared to some other houseplants I've had the not so fortunate pleasure of attempting to grow. I agree with the above post as well, they don't have to be blooming to be beautiful (although in bloom, that just adds to their beauty).

Planto

• bonsaigai
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I forgot about mentioning EASE OF CARE! Heavens yes! Some of my earlier plants struggled through low light, despondent watering, and general neglect - but survived. (Not to mention occasional attacks of the local-indoor-voracious-vegetation-munching-vermin... I love my cats, really...)

If you haven't read Hermine Stover's book, it is really worthwhile. The second short short story is especially funny and concerns care, or lack thereof. The art for the story is terrific, a dark and mysterious "Fata Duo" holding a very sad and limp looking Sans.

• hijole
    12 years ago

Michael, I think your craving for the Sans family just met another part of the family, you've just connected with a bunch of plant junkies , mainly sanseverias, and your right they do look nice all year long.

Even though I knew that I don't think I've ever thought of it as such so I just seen another reason why I like these beauties.

Greg

• bonsaigai
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Last night I checked the book. It's the THIRD short story from Hermine not the second. All three are great little minute reads. Hermine said they're all true which makes them even funnier.

• lovemysans
    12 years ago

Hi Micheal!

Haha... Cats... You gotta love them!

I'll have to check that book out Micheal! Thank you for the recommendation!

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

I love all 320 of mine. Mine flower often, get rid of the past flowering offset, and the new ones will flower, I feed mine 5-30-10, I give them bone meal in the mix, I still have some in flower now. Yours will flower more. I was hooked on them years ago, I love the structure. I love it with the rhizome pop up and push the plant up out of the pot. They make a statement and announce their pressense at night with a very strong sweet aroma when in flower. Now I must run, they are breaking their pots, trying to talk to me. pop pop pop, the humming birds like them as well. Norma

• bonsaigai
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Holy Moley Norma! I knew you had a lot, but 320!!! How super-outstanding! Thank you for the fertilization information. I may just try Osmocote this summer if I can find the right combination NPK... maybe an organic, if I can find one suitable.

I actually counted last night - 41, with a few on the way. There are 2 trifaciata types, the rest are all different species... the not too expensive species. Good Lord have you seen the price for eilensis lately?

12 years ago

Michael,
    Hermine Stover may just be looking in on us. Some here know her personally.
    Hermine, just want to say, I love you for what you did for our hobby. I really love her book.
    Stush

• bonsaigai
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Stush,
    I know. She lurks. I'm on the other Sans list too, and she's much more rowdy over there.
    Indeed she did a great thing for the advancement of Sansevieria! I love the book too. (Where are all those huggy emoticons when you need them.)

Michael

12 years ago

I am afraid to go to the other side. Might make me buy more sans. Just have to say no. But I know I can't.

• bonsaigai
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Use the Force, Stush. Use the Force.

• bonsaigai
    Original Author
    12 years ago

On a more serious note, the other group is quite nice. Good humor, great people, and fantastic information. Lots of SUPER conversation BOTH places.
    What's wrong with buying more Sans? LOL

Right now I'm re-collecting plants that I lost a few years ago. Now I've been a bit MORE heavy on the Sans, (like exclusively recently), but as a friend of mine asks "Michael, what's your Genus d'jour this year?"

The Genus D'jour either lasts or not. Some plants grow, some are insufferably difficult and I end up with one or two of the original material. The Sansevieria - now THOSE are keepers - long term.

Yes, yes. I loves me some Sansevieria, it's much better than running around *sans-lessly* muttering incompre*sans*sibly trying to keep a Boston fern from shattering in a house with central heat!

Michael
    NY Zone 6

• woodnative
    12 years ago

I have loved growing plants since a young age too.......my first recollection was at 6 or 7 rooting cuttings of Wandering Jew I found on the floor of a retail store. After that I wanted to root/grow every plant (and still do!)!
    As a kid I remember my aunt had a bunch of plain green Sansevieria 'hahnis' in drinking glasses and other containers throughout her house and I thought it was neat how they formed "pups" around the mother plant.
    Of course it was the Internet that exposed me to the many different wonderful cultivars and species of Sans. I don't have a greenhouse or sunroom, and do occasionally have to travel for work, so Sans are perfect as they can take periods of neglect and seem to forgive me if I get them outsidee in the summers.
    BTW, I love Hermines sense of humor and writing style. I used to be a member of "the other list" but no longer active there. I was dissapointed that Hermine did not fulfull her side of a trade with me but then I have met more than enough more than generous people on these forums. I don't think she did it purposefully either but she keeps herself spread thin! I always like seeing Norma's posts and she has a LOT of experience and wisdom to share. Russ H I have not seen for ages but he is a man of great Sans wisdom, knowledge, and experience. Mike LF is another that posts here on occasion and grows GREAT Sans. Stush it has been a pleasure "meeting" you in recent time and of course all the posts by PG and Greg and all the others here (if I missed you don't take it personally). Look at the old posts by Joe DeRosa. I enjoyed meeting Joe and trading some plants with him (he lives local and shared common interests) but he appears to have "dissapeared". Glad to see so much more action (relatively) on this forum lately!!!