Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueszz

Unknow Sansevieria could use an ID

blueszz
13 years ago

Hello forum member,

I could use your help with getting an ID for a Sansevieria. I found it in a local shop, hided under a bench. It must have been there for months but it never got my attention until last week. One of the two plants had some new growths, I liked it's looks and brought it home.

I've browsed so many pictures but wasn't able to find a plant that matched. Maybe one of you recognizes it?

Of coarse I asked the shop owner but he didn't know more than it's a Sansevieria.

I made some pictures which show hopefully enough characteristics for an ID.

Haven't figured out yet how to show the images so for now the links to the images:

Entire plant: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5142/5657465575_87011beafa_b.jpg

New growth showing the first leafs are different from the later ones: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5142/5657456745_7689442966_b.jpg

Detail growth habit oldest part of the plant: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5302/5658024644_1c7a886ac2_z.jpg

Thanks for your time and help,

Nicole

Comments (21)

• elsier
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I did a search for Sansevieria species and found

theamateursdigest.com

It has a list of Sans with photos that may help you.

Elsie

• blueszz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Elsie, will have a look at that website. Until now I don't have luck finding a match, it's hard to see enough details on pictures for an ID that comes close. I've browsed so many pictures that I get the idea that mine is a hybrid...
    I keep in mind that I won't be able to come close to an ID. Doesn't matter too much, I really like the looks from that plant.

If I find a match I'll update here.

Nicole

• elsier
    12 years ago

It looks sort of like Sans cylindrica in the first photo. But looking at the second photo, maybe not.

Good luck with your search. That is always part of the fun!

Elsie

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

If the leaves are round with no channel except where the new ones come out of the center of the plant, then yes indeed it it a cylindrica. If the leaves fall gracefully in a arch then it could be San cylindrica v. patula
    Cylindrica v. cylindrica only has 1-3 leaves to a growth. Mine stand straight up I grow them very dry, and they are about 5 ft tall, but the plant is about 20 yrs old these leaves are not very large around. Tell us this might be a match. I can't open your link at all. Norma
    It is dark green, and my have furrows down the leaf for lack of water this time of the year. My plants have hard points that are dried up this time of the year. I don't know if this will match your plant.

• tf.-drone
    12 years ago

Hi

I think it is a hybrid, probably Fernwood, but maybe even Druid Hill, Stellette or Tony Padilla

Helli

• blueszz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone,
    took a while before I could read your answers because I've Pneumonia. Slowly feeling better (third day of antibiotics).

I realize I should have posted a picture from above, the growth habit is more like Fernwood, not like Cylindrica. The growths that look mature to me have a channel but not at the tip.
    For me, but I'm a novice, it looks like Fernwood or Druid Hill, I remember trying to find good pictures from these online for comparison. Thanks for the other two names Helli, will check them out.

I'm still very happy with the plant.
    If I have enough energy left today (after my doctor visit) going to try to post the pictures in a way that you can view them easily, but to be honest, at the time the only thing I want is sleep sleep and sleep... this Pneumonia is draining all my energy.

Nicole

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

Halli, thanks for the clue. I will check mine tomorrow.
    I know Rogers Weld of Fernwood Nursery for the past 20 years. 'Fernwood' is a hybrid, which hasn't been didstributed much, I sent a one to England years ago, it is not an exciting plants, I have a variegated one, it's not that exciting either. If a picture could be sent directly to my email, I think I may be of some help
    Norma Crasulady2@dslextreme It is a small slow growning plant shaped like a fountain.

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

I don't believe it's Ferwood, I'm surprised that anyone in
    Europe or outside of the U.S. would have the plant. Rogers doesn't think it's his plant eaither. it just be the angle of the picture. I certainly can't ID them from just a picture.

• blueszz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello everyone,
    thanks of your input! I guess this will be a NOID forever... but I don't mind. For the Netherlands it's an unusual find and I like it (beauty is in the eye of the beholder, isn't it?)
    It seems very healthy and strong and is already growing.

I'm long time reader here but it was my first post. I enjoy this board. It certainly won't be the last time I'm here but probably you won't see many posts from me. I'm a beginner and soak up all the information you provide here.

Have a great day,
    Nicole

• tf.-drone
    12 years ago

Hi,

this plant is currently sold in Germany too, I saw it a couple of weeks ago at a big garden market, so I expect to see it more often now. It does not look remotely like any of my plants. It reminds me of juvenile forms of cylindrica or fischeri, but it is far too large, about 60 cm diameter (that is about 25 inch for you remote americans :P). And, why should Fernwood not be available in Europe? Alan has it in his shop, for one thing, along with Druid Hill and Stellette.

Helli

• blueszz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Helli, Alan... is that an online shop? I don't have a clue ;-)
    Nicole

• tf.-drone
    12 years ago

hi nicole,

yes, alan runs a shop in italy (google vivaio brookside) and is editor of the sansevieria journal, see http://www.sansevieria-international.org/

another interesting shop in europe is specks exotica ;)

helli

• blueszz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Helli. I've seen the Brookside nursery before online but never heard of Specks Exotica. Certainly will have a look at it.
    Have you experience ordering from these two? When I was looking at the website from Brookside nursery I wasn't sure what I would get, I thought I might buy leaf cuttings that I still had to root myself. Any idea?
    Nicole

• tf.-drone
    12 years ago

Hi Nicole,

Alan does sell fair-sized plants with a piece of rhizome at least, no cuttings (unless stated). I can absolutely recommend him. The same goes for Specks, though they speicalize in propagations of field-collected plants. But rare or intersting plants are sold out very quickly.

Helli

• blueszz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Helli, thanks about the feedback about these shops. OMG, Specks has some really pretty plants (non Sansevieria's). So tempting. It's a good thing I'm running out of space. My main collection is orchids ;-)
    Nicole

• tf.-drone
    12 years ago

Hi,

here is a photo I just took in a shopping centre. Sorry, it is only a mobile phone photo. But - all pots are labeled "Sansevieria Fernwood". Nicole, is that your plant?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sansevieria Fernwood

• blueszz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmm interesting! I do think we might have a match here. On my plant the oldest leafs don't have pointed tips but the rest of the leafs have. On each new growth the oldest leafs don't have the tips, the rest have. As far as I can tell from the picture it's the case here too.
    It seems that my plant is less compact, the leafs on the oldest (mature?) growth grow a bit more outward.

I'm going to visit some garden centers here, good chance I might find Fernwood labeled pots here too then. When I can see them with my own eyes I'm sure I can tell if it's the same plant or not.
    Thanks for the picture! I really appreciate the fact that you thought of this thread while shopping! :-)

Nicole

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

Helli, that is not 'Fernwood' as I know it. Rogers, (Ferwood) came here to get one of mine, I have his variegated one. I gave him his green one as I was not intered in the plant. I don'g grow the hybrids that you mentioned, I don't give space to plants like those. Norma

• blueszz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Woow, I didn't realize I asked this question that long ago. Currently two of the three grows are developing a spike. As soon as they flower I'll update this topic with new pictures.
    I'm sorry, the previous picture got deleted :-(

Will update soon, I hope!

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

Some I am able to ID without a picture most I can't without the flower. I may with a full excellent description, especailly it there is a feature or growth that is different, unique. Soft tip on leaf or hard. leaf sheaths, edges, spots or bands and accurate measurment of an adult leaf. Norma Lewis

• blueszz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Norma,
    it's very close to flowering right now.
    I'll make detailed (sharp heheh) pictures from the entire plant and the blooms.
    Currently it's very cloudy weather but I expect it to bloom within a week or so. Would appreciate your opinion!

I just had a closer look at the buds and realized they have a slight pinkish overcast, realized that could be helpful too for an ID. Will make pictures from the buds too :-)