Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamie_mt

Water Sans. getting ready to bloom?

jamie_mt
17 years ago

Hello all,

I just bought what I think is an S. cylindrica last weekend, with a bloom stalk and little purple buds! I'm hoping the short ride in cold air won't blast the buds, but it's been a couple days now, and the bloom stalk seems to still be growing and the buds seem to be getting bigger, so I'm taking that as a good sign. Will get a picture to post soon if possible.

What I'm wondering is, I know to let Sans. get completely dry before watering again, but I'm wondering if that still holds with one getting ready to bloom? It came from a greenhouse environment to my very dry house air, and the soil is drying out quickly (as it should). So I guess the better question would be, should I let it wait for water as long as I normally would with a Sans. - bone dry soil - or should I water it a little sooner since it's getting ready to bloom?

I've never grown this particular Sans. before, and just *had* to have it, even though I'm sure I paid too much, and had to carry it out in 32 degree weather to get it home. So if there are any differences in growing this Sans. from others, that would be helpful info too. :-)

Thanks in advance...will try to get a picture this afternoon or evening to post.

Comments (3)

• jamie_mt
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Picture can be seen on today's (Apr. 4th) blog post at:

My Blog

• Michaela
    17 years ago

Your plant is a S. cylindrica, Jamie, and a very nice one. The purple buds will put forth white flowers.
    You should continue your watering regime. Sansevierias store water in their thizomes, so it can draw upon its reserves there, if needed. It is a plant that will thrive in bright light up there in Big Sky country :-) Congratulations on your choice of a beautiful house plant!

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

You will love your new plant, you did well. My S. cylindrica has never flowered for me. I've had it for 10 years. All of my others do flower however. Keep your plant warm, especially in the winter but be sure to cut back water at that time. Norma