Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First sans came today - potting question.

Posted by greenjude (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 22, 06 at 13:07

My Moonshine just arrived, and it's lovely. The pot I'd relly like to put it in is large and glazed with an attached saucer...not the best draining pot ever. Will it be okay if I use cactus/succulent soil and be super-careful with the water? Or shouldn't I chance it?

Thanks!
Jude

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First sans came today - potting question.

Jude,
I wouldn't hesitate to use that pot if you like but just make sure the soil mixture has good drainage. I use a 50/50 mix of potting soil and perlite. Pumice would be even better if available. I haven't used the cactus/succulent soil mixes but if I did I would use extra perlite or pumice mixed in with it. Watch the water when the temperatures are cooler. Sansevierias are pretty forgiving, but cold and wet is a bad combination with just about any succulent plant. Enjoy your new plant. :) logan

o

I have to respectfully disagree, a glazed saucer w/ no drainage would sound like trouble for a Sans to me.

I grow abt 1 dozen diff. ones, all in plastic or clay, but ALL have drainage holes, I consider it (for me) non-negotiable. If it were me & I were intent on that planter, I'd put pot the plant inside a smaller plastic planter & then set the whole thing in the larger glazed saucer pot. That way it could have drainage & you could enjoy the planter too w/ less worry.

o
RE: First sans came today - potting question

Pirate Girl, I would agree that a pot with no drainage would be a problem but Jude didn't say this pot had no drainage but rather that it was "not the best draining pot ever". I have found that the glazed pots with attached saucers have adequate drainage for succulents (with a proper draining planting mix) but the only thing I find about them that I don't like is the saucer doesn't catch much water so the water runs all over whatever surface it is sitting on. :) logan

o

The pot has a drainage hole (hence the attached saucer...) But when I took it out of its old pot, I decided that the root ball wasn't large enough for that pot anyway. :(

But it's good to have the opinions for when it gets bigger.

Thanks,
Jude

o
Logan...

P.S. Logan - I love your name - we *almost* used it when my daughter was born. It was neck and neck, lol! :)

o
RE:Logan...

Thanks Jude, I liked it too which is why I named my dog that, lol. That was one of my dogs at the time when I first came online so I used it as a nic and since then many people have come to know me as that so I now go by either John or Logan. He was a special dog to me so I still have a fondness for the name. :)

o

Any pot with glaze is a no-no for me. No aeration through the sides usually spells trouble in the long run. I agree with logan about the mix using pumice (if available), I use C/S mix primarily for Plumerias.

o

Just read a book on Sansevieria varieties and it said green ones grow in any type of soil, preferably not too acid. Highly variegated types grow better in soil-less mixes with good drainage. I currently use a mix of 1 part loam (regular potting soil), 1 part sphagnum peat moss, and 1 part perlite. Also add some garden lime and horticultural charcoal.

o

A clay pot would be ideal set into a ceramic container like Karen suggested, if you put marbles or broken small pieces of clay pots on the bottom, the plant should not sit in water, unless you want it to turn to mush, it also depends on which species you have, some live along streams, some on top of centuries old crushed, decomposed coral. This is the reason to know the name of your San. species. Norma

o

y dont u drill large holes in the bottom or sides, ive did it with diffrent clay pots, and i got plants in them now that are happy as can be

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here