Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sansevieria - grow in glass vase with rocks?

Posted by vellen1948 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 15:49

We went to a restaurant recently and each table had a glass vase approx.6" tall and a diameter of about 4". The glass "tube" was filled about half way with 1/2" river rocks and the Sansevieria (about 6" tall with 7 or 8 architectural leaves) was placed into it without any soil and the roots were fairly well dispersed into the rocks. The water was only about 2" deep leaving quite a few of the roots exposed to the air and were clinging to the rocks.

Is this just a method for short term display of this houseplant in the restaurant or can we do the same at home and make it grow that way?

Thanks in advance for your help. Just found this web site / forum and thrilled to be a part of it. There's so much to learn and share here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sansevieria - grow in glass vase with rocks?

The common Sans seem to do ok in such an environment. Temperature has to most part when over watering is involved. I bet there is a lot of maintance on these. Like the water changed out every week or so. In the long term the plants will do badly. These plants are from a hot dry areas.
Some here have multiplied their sans in water. Read about Pirart_Girl's 'Water Sans'. But this was temporary. and that they produce water roots that are not the same as soil roots. Again I found this out by reading here.
Stush

o

Hey there Stush,

Not so temporary for me, my family of Aqua Sans (As C McHarris named them) are still in only water & I believe they're all there over a year, some close to 2. Don't think I have any intention of changing them. I recently did put the larger of these into a larger netted pot.

o

Way to go Karen. Break the rules and succeed at it. See what I mean that we are still learning here.

o

Hello again,

Here I'll tempt you all w/ peak & start another thread w/ my updates. I guess, it should be called HydroSans, but I prefer the name AquaSans, it cracks me up.

That's my hand, for scale.

photo P1080546_zpsc8b673e0.jpg

o

Usually plants started in water have difficulty adjusting to soil. I have a Malsonia that was started in water but as soon as tiny roots were spotted I put them into fast draining soil, The mother leaf was variegate I don't believe any of the offsets (7total) will take the hint how ever. I have seen San. Eilynsis growing in water. Norma
g

o

Pirate Girl,

Are you gonna give us a little lesson on hydro growing sans, please!

Also, I tried to send you a note thru GW. I have a plant for you.

Thanks, Barb

o

Hiya Norma,

These pants have only been grown in water, never had a speck of mix this trio. The larger one seems to have really grown lately, after being away 4 days for Hurricane Sandy, I noticed this is suddenly over a foot tall. I recently had to move it to a large netted pot.

Hi Barb,

Been too busy, work w/ accountants, tax season just passed. Still catching my breath.

'Til I write little something up here, have you seen the early pix of this plant? It's the first I posted of Sans I grew in plain water, before I ever used Leca stones.

Thanks, I IDID see your EM, just been swamped. Was it you I'm swapping the Haw limifolia, right (they're still kinds small, but we'll "talk") .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here