Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

Reporting Ring Side

hijole
12 years ago

Josh, We did it!!! You know I went back to the old post that was titled " Looking for Norma & Karen." And I realized weve been in the ring since January 11th, WOW!

So with that, I'd say we have a draw, would you agree?

Stush, Marlon, Woodnative and all other contenders gloves up We can all come out of this winners. (Pictures required though.) Per Stush, Voted & Named the Ref.

That said let me get on this, Here Are My Pics,

Greg

Comments (39)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

I knew it, Greg...
    I knew your new growth would be better than mine! Haha!
    You bet I'll take a draw! Sharing California's Gold Place! ;-)
    Considering how difficult these plants are supposed to be, I'd say we're ahead of the curve...

Now to sit back, share an update from time to time, and enjoy the "contest" ;-)

Josh

• lovemysans
    12 years ago

Hi Greg!

Way to go!

• hijole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lovemysans, thanks, I want to say thank you also for advising Me on the pumice and or perilite mix. I actually did switch my soil durring one of my ring side stops, I now think these types of sans are a lot easier than I first thought, it allows for watering without the soil remaining wet causing rot. This plus keeping temps warm provide the right atmospheres.

I think one of the biggest suggestions was to bring her inside out of the cold.
    I have other types of sans that thrive outside despite cold nights even in the lows such as 35 f. Which had no ill effect on them.

Greg

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

I was afraid to say that they are easy, mine is a 20 plant, and it grew very fast when young. Do not divide them San. like to be in a crowded pot. water from the bottom with a tray, feed them as well or change the soil in June. Fresh soil will give them a jump start. Many of mine are doing well out side with lath house conditions no heat against the garage wall getting plenty of air circulation. Do any of you have those tiny black ants crawling, keep posted I may a deadly cure for them. If you have a deadly cure for black ants please advertize it to our group. Thank you all. Norma

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Norma,
    Luckily I never had a problem with ants. On the other C&S thread, there was a post about ant problems. Use of marketed sprays and baits from local hardware stores seems to work well.
    I did however had a problem years ago with tiny black ants that was in my foundation of my house. Which was sandstone. No sprays or anything could stop them. When I replaced the 100 year old foundation with 12 inch cement block, the problem was solved.

• lovemysans
    12 years ago

Hi Greg!

That's great!
    Yeah, pumice and more warmth are great for these guys!

Hi Norma!

Right now Norma I have some of those little black ants walking around the house, but I have had them around before and they've just gone away on their own. I just hate killing them when they aren't too much of a nuisance. I know, I know ...

Take care guys!

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's an up date on this 4 th of July afternoon showing that nothing has really changed in the last few months other than now he is sleeping outside vs. indoors.

Looking strong and healthy though but no baby pups or roots busting out anywhere.

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

2 nd view

11 years ago

Greg,
    Good to have you back on our side. Still alive and looking good. Those Sans behind this, are they the ones you spoke about surviving those cold nights? I have some that can take those cold nights but not too long and too often. Bantal sensanstion will not. Keep it warm. This one loves the heat.
    Love those cactus glasses.

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stush, I've always been on your side brother, we just been playing post tag I guess, Lol...

Yeah those are the Sans. in the back ground that can handle the cold, at least they don't complain like them dare Bantel's, WHEW!!! boy they almost require an incubator to survive it seems but the indoors is difinetely at MUST for them in the winter.

I'm sure those cactus glasses will find there way to your house in the near future, I was surprized to find them on my front porch the other day on my way to work Jessica sent them to my home, So I had my wife take a quick snap shot of me with them on and I sent it to my family at the Garden Web site.

I'm sending them to Josh "greenman" hopefully tomorow Thurs. for sure by Friday along with the Agave I promised him seems like a few months now ( I am sincerly sorry about the delay too Josh, I have been busy though for real, I'm actually at work right now so gots to run.

Have a nice 4th of July everyone and be careful if your popping fire works out there.

Greg

11 years ago

Hola!
    Hey, fellow Sans. growers! Greg, nice to see your plant sending forth some growth!
    (no worries on the delay, take your time....can't wait to see that agave through Cactus shaped glasses).

As far as Sans. grow (slowly), I think mine is growing relatively well. Excellent drainage,
    lots of water and fertilizer, and partial sun all day. I have a few other pics from different
    angles if desired....

11 years ago

Josh,
    Looken great my friend. I thought there was a pup comeing up on that sans? Mine are growing but no new pups. Can't wait to see new growth with pups.
    I think we need to all have those cactus sunglasses. We can start our own club or something. We show up all wearing the same kind of sunglasses. Cool.
    Next time I go to California, I'm asking Greg where to check in at. Know what I mean? No more Englewood.
    Stush

11 years ago

Thanks, Stush!
    There is a pup growing...in addition to some new growth from the central plant.
    I'll share another pic where the pup is easier to see:

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey stush and josh. Yeah well here I go again the cactus glassses are ready, the Agave is outta the ground and i am sendind it off tomorow finally! O boy this was a just time for me and the days are getting longer or at least its staying daylight longer you'd think I could of nailed this long ago but Here they come the DOUBLE WHAMMY - Glasses and the Americano Agave.

Stush you got yours on the 1st pass out how ate they doing for you? The plants you sent are getting bigger everyday and looking quite nice thanks .

I also received some Sans. Clyindrica' s fr

om Beverly and they ate looking awesome just as j figured they'd look like: Giant asparagus everyday they're looking stronger and healthiet, they are a nice addition being that I still have not ran into this type at any nurseries or H/D or Lowes.

Josh, that's quite a pup I still haven't seen my pup poke his self from behind the mommas feathers, I did fertilized today.

Greg

11 years ago

Greg,
    That agave you sent me is still alive. It hasn't grown any but developed roots. The original leaves have black spots all over them. Strange but not on any other agaves I have. I figure I will loose those leaves and new ones will take over the plant. I think it may have been sun burned. Glad to here all is well with you.
    Take care and God bless,
    Stush

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stush, Black spots? Huh... I wonder why? well one thing is for sure they are tuff to kill so just hang in there it will become big and strong and all sorts of pups will gather all around the base of it and surrounding areas and you'll be sharing them with more friends soon.

Hey on another note I had some lady stop by my house the other day saying she would like to purchase some of the cacti and succulents I have around my house because she said I had alot she didnt have or seen before , she said she would be back next week if I could put a few of them on a pallet for her she would have them picked up.

She asked if I ever considered selling them , I said right before you stopped by I was just thinking about selling some Lol...

Greg

11 years ago

Sounds great. It's not everyday that we make money from our hobby. Way to go. Myself, I loose money everyday from my hobby. Glad you are doing so well.

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well if there's anything new to report It's that this little guy is sticking his neck out to see the world. If he likes what he sees I'm sure will see him in full form and ready for a few more rounds anyone for a little toe to toe ?

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well if there's anything new to report It's that this little guy is sticking his neck out to see the world. If he likes what he sees I'm sure will see him in full form and ready for a few more rounds anyone for a little toe to toe ?

{{!gwi}}

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hey Greg,

I can't open your pic, they usually just appear, this one appears as a tiny box in upper left hand corner. Just so you know.

11 years ago

Nice sprout, Greg!!! :-D

Josh

• woodnative
    11 years ago

My Bantel's was sitting for some time outwardly doing nothing but suddenly, seemingly overnight, 3 new pups appeared above the soil line. Only a couple more weeks of good growing here. I will keep you updated!

11 years ago

Way to go guys. Now if only mine would produce new pups. Right now I will have to settle for good growth.
    Also I just found a pup sprouting up from S. tri~ Midnight Shine. So I know it has a good root system for wintering over.

11 years ago

Woodnative, that's a nice full pot!

Hey, Stush, I'm sure it won't be too long before pups appear.

The new growth on mine is nearly larger than the original leaves.
    Sorry about this blurry pic...I didn't realize how bad it was. Are we any closer
    to determining whether this is or isn't an actual 'Bantel's Sensation'?

11 years ago

Josh,
    I would say it is most deffently a Bantal's Sensation. No two leaves are alike. But it is dark green and white. Same as mine.

Lots of new growth but no new pups. The pups that were on the plants when I potted them up grew nicely.

11 years ago

Thanks, Stush!
    Dang, you've got a real nice full pot, too! :-D

Josh

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! All of a sudden poof!!! It was like from one day to the next, and the there it is.

I changed my soil & potting around 3 Or 4 times before I finally let it sit inside this little pot the longest time maybe at least 9 mont
    I actually placed those rocks in there about 2 weeks ago and that new shoot was not there! And now it is.

I can't understand it other than to say I had moved it in & out of different pots & soils to many times and finally settled down comfortibly and this is the results. Who really knows?

It's taking off though .

Greg

11 years ago

There we go!!!
    This has turned out to be a great shared experiment! :-)

Josh

11 years ago

How nice. Should be very proud of your self.
    Mine still hasn't produced any new pups yet. Still waiting. And with a low tonight of 48, might have to start bring them in.

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! Ok now were talking this baby is growing fast, every time I turn around it gets taller and taller.

Josh, how are yours doing nowa days?

Stush, I know yours were doing good how's the weather up there ?

Well I couldn't wait to show off my baby. Have a great day all.

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As you can see from the second to last photo, I removed the rock to make room for growing and a little stretching of course.

Greg

11 years ago

Way to grow Greg. Nice. The way you are going, next year your pot will be fuller than mine. Remember I started out with 4 in a pot.

11 years ago

Fantastic!

Mine is doing alright, but does seem to have slowed.
    I will have to get an updated picture for you all to peruse :-)
    The weather has consistently been in the 90F's during the day and in the 50F's at night,
    which is standard for us up here. My Desert Rose does not like the night-temps, but I think
    the Sans. is a bit less tempermental. Either way, I'm not ready to bring it in yet.

Josh

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just one more pic of the new shooter.

11 years ago

Hello, hello!

I have a pic to share - not much change since last pic, but doing well!

• woodnative
    11 years ago

OK, here we go with a late September update. The pups have gotten bigger.....

11 years ago

I'll say! :-D

Josh

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Woodnative, When my plants get that big I'll feel like a pro, right now I'm just trying to get this bantel to perk up a bit and it looks like it's headed that way.

Josh, She certainly does look Bantelish now, good job it also looks healthy it must be the clean fresh air Or at least the view.

Greg

11 years ago

Haha, thanks, Greg!
    Must be the healthy living up here in the foothills....
    I bet this warm Fall is really helping, too ;-)

Josh

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!