Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sans cylindrica

Posted by ElsieR z6 KY (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 20, 04 at 18:53

I have just repotted mine, after several years in the same pot. Roots were starting to come out of the drainage holes, and the plastic pot was distorted into an oval shape by the many roots.
It will be much happier in it's new pot, I think. But I have a question. My plan was to separate the several plants. But I chickened out at the last moment and just moved the whole mass into the new pot. Could I have cut them apart with a knife and dusted the cut ends with something (what?)
Thanks.
Elsie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sans cylindrica

At this time of year with plants in full growth (dependant on your location, ofcourse)there should be no problem in cutting & dividing your Sans. Be careful to let the cut parts dry out for a day or two & re-pot into a porous & well aerated mix & keep on the dry side initially. You can also dust the cut surfaces with a sulfur based compound, usually green or yellow & available in garden stores or general stores. You'll find that Sans are quite forgiving & if the plants are well grown (as yours seem to be) then they'll soon recover from the shock & go on to produce even bigger & better growths. A mature S. cylindrica can easily reach six feet in height; remember these will only flower when mature - something worth waiting for.

o
RE: Sans cylindrica

Thanks for your advice, birdnestsoup. The individual stems on my plant are about two feet long, so I guess it is just a juvenile plant still. I have been having some good success with Sans flowering so far this year, so I am hopeful the cylindrica will bloom in the future as well.

Elsie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here