Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pics of sans

Posted by bmock 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 20:52

I saw these at Pike Nursery, They were labeled hybrid Ayo. They appeared to be three single leaf cuttings in each pot, I didn't see any pups coming up. They look sort of like a masoniana to me.

What do you think? Have you seen them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pics of sans

I bought this one, a gift for a friend. I am going to try to enable her. It is labeled Futura Superba. It is just packed with a bunch of plants and weighs a ton.

o

Beautiful plants. I wish I had someone to enable me, but then again I do just fine all by myself.

o

Sansevieria 'Ayo' is nothing else that the extremely common S.hyacinthoides. It is produced and registered by the Dutch firm Fachjan http://www.fachjan.nl/prices.php?w=s
As S.hyacinthoides has very long and slender leaves, this firm had the idea to cut just the tip of the leaves (a well grown leaf is 1,50 meters high) and plant three leaf cuttings together in a pot. The effect is wonderfully decorative, but as with the S.cylindrica cuts, You eventually will see only some tiny plantlets come on after a year or more.
S.futura superba is possibly the most widely cultivated form of S.laurentii in the world. It is its "mother" S.futura which is no longer available elsewhere.

o

Thanks Roberto, I appreciate the info. I had a feeling the ayo plants were cuttings of something big.

o

Barb,
The group S.hyacinthoides is as common and diverse as S. trifasciata. These are the ones growing as weeds in zone 10 Florida. There are so many cultivars of this plant and some are confused with trifasciata. They said it was a hybrid.
Roberto,
Would you be able to find what it is crossed with?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here