Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

Thin upright leaves on golden hahnii

esther_b
14 years ago

I recently upgraded the lighting over my succulents to twin T9 5000K fluorescent bulbs, about 8" over my golden hahnii. It has sent up several new leaves, thin and pointing up like praying hands. Definitely looks better with new light. Will these leaves broaden and eventually lay more horizontal?

Comments (9)

• Michaela
    14 years ago

Happy belated birthday, Esther! It looks like no one wants to render an opinion on your question, so I will at least comment. First of all, 8 inches from your plant seems too close to me, but I don't know how much heat your bulbs give off. If your plants appear fine and do not appear burned, or withered, I see no problem. Your Hahnii leaves should appear normal in a few weeks.

• esther_b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Michaela. The Hahnii appears bright green and pale gold, with no signs of drying or burning. Just that the center leaves are all like "praying hands" and thin. It happens to be one of my favorite plants.

• Michaela
    14 years ago

It has been 10 days since you first posted your message about the new leaves. If you have not noticed any difference in the new leaves by now, I would begin to suspect root damage.

• esther_b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The hahnii is showing many new leaves since the new light is installed. The newest leaves look more normal. All the colors are very vivid, so I don't think there is root damage. Just an adjustment to the new lighting. Will keep forum informed!

• User
    14 years ago

I'm not sure why you're growing these under lights. Sans don't need that, nor do I think they want it.

I don't grow under lights, but have friends who do & none of them do this for Sans.

For other succulents or A. Violets, folks who DO grow w/ lights put them 2-5" above the plants to make any difference. Further than that seems like one needn't bother.

I'm guessing the leaves are thinning & paling from too much light.

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Have you fertilized lately or changed their soil? Than do you mean narrow leaves, or skinny like a person? Don't laugh I am serious about this question. I just want to verify what you meant. Norma

• esther_b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Why is my Hahnii-honey under lights? Because I have a crummy eastern exposure living room window and can't even put the plants directly on the windowsill.

I use the Schultz cactus & succulent fertilizer, which I apply in a dilute form when I water.

The leaves are NOT paling, they are just upright like praying hands vs. forming a laid-down rosette. But the colors are quite vivid, and with the new light fixture, there are scads and scads of new leaves.

• woodnative
    14 years ago

Hello. I am a Sans lover also living in a temperate climate and a small home with minimum good lighting for Sans! Some of my Sans over winter in a "plant room" at my work, under cw fluorescent lights. There are other plants of various types in that room. Most grow normal, but the Hahnis there due tend to grow leaves that are larger but narrower and more upright than normal when grown under there. Not sure why. Maybe it has something to do with the wavelength of light vs. natural light. It doesn't hurt them, but they do grow differently then when at home on the windowsill or outside for the summer.

• esther_b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Woodnative,

Thank you very much for your very useful apples-to-apples input here. So, that is just how Hahniis react to overhead lighting. I don't have the luxury of space for a plant room, living in a small Queens co-op apartment, and that is why I upped the light avaiable to my beloved cacti and succulents with the new twin fluor T8 lighting fixture.