Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flytrpl8e

Cuttings didn't grow

FlytrpL8E
18 years ago

2 years ago I took a hort class and we propagated Sans from leaf cuttings. as per usual only 50 -75 % seemed to make it to transplant size, then the class was over.

I tried this myself and I was able to get the cuttngs to root but not to grow any new plants. any suggestions as to what I might have done wrong, besides looking at the roots too often?

Thanx in advance

Lois

Comments (5)

• fairyskyla
    18 years ago

Patience is the key:) Sanseveria once it roots will grow. It just takes time to see a baby pop up from that one cutting. It needs to get a little rootbound. I usually place the one cutting in a two inch pot. I use a plastic yogurt cup, punch a hole in it and place the cutting in there with soil of course. I place it in a bright spot. Sans are pretty low light plants they tolerate all kinds of levels which makes them special. But to get them to propogate faster you need to give them a little bit more light. I then play the waiting game. And voila a little baby right next to the cutting shows itself..once I see the roots literally come out of the yogurt cup. I then move it to a really nice planter and place it in it's permanent spot and they just growing.

Let them dry out in between the waterings.

Hope this helps:)

• biwako_of_abi
    18 years ago

Not just with sans, but with some other slow cuttings, too, the best tactic for me has been to stick them in their little pots down behind a bush where they get bright shade and maybe just a bit of dappled sun for a few hours a day, and forget them. Once in a great while, I mist, but the forgetting is what seems to do the trick!

Yesterday when I decided to throw out a sans leaf that had been lurking and doing nothing for almost a year, I found little root nubbings at the end of it. A month ago, I couldn't see anything there. Now to forget it long enough for it to make a plant. This thread gives me hope, and I think I'll put it into a smaller pot, as advised.

• mairzy_dotes
    18 years ago

Are you saying you should let the leaf cuttings dry out between waterings? I thought if you were trying to get them to root, you should keep them moist. (??) No wonder mine don't root well.
    Marcy

• fairyskyla
    18 years ago

This is the treatment all of my cactus and succulents get. Only because they hold water within themselves so basically after that first initial watering, that one watering will hold them up for about a month and half before they get watered again. To prevent rot especially when there are no roots to begin with, it is best to just let it completely dry out. Then water, and let it dry out completely again, and keep doing this routine until the roots grow. Usually within 1 to 2 months. Depending on the environmental conditions. It's best to take cuttings in Spring or Summer for faster results..during fall and winter these plants go dormant and shouldn't be receiving hardly any water at all if you live in an area where it gets cold for the winter so you won't see any growth.

Hope this help:)

• FlytrpL8E
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey there Fairy and Biwako.
    Thanx for the advice. I will try them again and take a course on waiting patiently.
    Thanx again and keep 'em plants growin'
    Lois