Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

Update on My Hydro Sans Family

pirate_girl
10 years ago

Hi Folks,

I just wanted to show how big this got. I went away last Fall for 4 days for Hurricane Sandy & when I got back I noticed the taller of these plants was now over 1 ft. tall. It must have just had a growth spurt, or, I guess after not seeing it for a few days suddenly I could see the difference.

For those who may have missed the earlier pix, these are all growing in water & Leca stones only, they have never seen mix & were started from one leaf each of 3 plants in this basket grouping.

I never would have believed it if I hadn't done it for myself.

Comments (17)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

PG,
    That's amazing! It's funny to think Sans can easily rot from overwatering but that you can propagate one like that.

Planto

• barbmock
    10 years ago

Karen,

When you start them, do you need to let them callus beforehand? And do you use a little diluted plant food?I really would like to try this too These little experiments are fun. Barb

• Enterotoxigenic00
    10 years ago

I was just thinking the same thing as plantomaniac. Very interesting indeed.
    K

• laura1
    10 years ago

It all just goes to show you how tough these plants are! They will grow and survive in most conditions and you can propagate them by division, leaf, cut up leaves, and seed. You have to admire this plant.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Very nice! :-)
    Now...why the tiny pic?!

Josh

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Everybody,

Planto & Entero, yea, I think it's fascinating, don't know why it works w/out rotting but it does.

Hiya Barb, I've been meaning to get back here to answer. I barely even think about it when I start them. I haven't calloused them & definitely don't use fertilizer. Only recently did I even think to add some dilute fertilizer to their water. I do use Leca stones & don't change the water, I only add to it. If I remember, I throw in some charcoal bits (aquarium grade from the pet store) to help prevent potential algae (preventative, not been a problem thus far).

I've been looking around to see what else I can add to our proposed swap as the H limifolia pups still seem kind of small.

Josh, hey you, fancy meeting you here ;>)

Tiny pic? Not tiny from here, you're the first I've heard say that. I will confess I don't know pic sizing, but all the rest of my seem sized OK here.

Yes, Laura they do seem indestructible don't they? I've seen Sans growing seemingly wild in beds off the highways around Ft. Lauderdale. I remember being surprised by it.

10 years ago

Hey! :-)

Oh, several others have mentioned the small pics in the past, primarily as requests for more detail. For a while there, you were posting somewhat larger pics.

Yeah, the pic is tiny...smaller than nearly all other pics posted at GardenWeb. Even when I clicked the pic and went to the album, I didn't see any option to enlarge. On my monitor, your image is 3.5 x 4 inches.

Josh

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Hey this is way cool, I've been a fan of this experiment too! Sans has turned out to be one of the funnest plants I have to play with, largely thanks to "ideas" I saw/got from PG. Very inspirational pics and discussions. She lured me in here!

I think I said something about the pics being small before. When I see other peoples' pics on PB and click the + thing, they get bigger, but I it won't do that to yours. I've only used it as a viewer, so have no idea why.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Folks,

Experimenting here, since it's my own thread. Let's see what size pic this turns out to be.

am hoping these 2 pics will be clickable:

Let's see what happens.

• barbmock
    10 years ago

Sorry Karen, Not much better. They areclickable, but the pics come up small again.

I still don't have your address. Barb

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I get the same result.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry folks, I don't know what to do otherwise. I played w/ posting other lines code from Photobucket (other than the 3rd line as always), & it just yielded the same copy & pasted code, & no pic.

Hi Barb,

Sorry, as I said above, I haven't sent you my addy yet 'cause those pups still look too small; I'm trying to see what else I can offer that you might like to make it a more equitable trade.

• jackierooke
    10 years ago

Hey Karen, long time no see.

What are Leca Stones?

Jackie

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hiya Jackie, long time indeed. I'm pretty well, thx, hope you are too. Saw your question on watering implements & thought Wow, JackieR, long time ...

Leca Stones are used for hydro growing of plants (I forget now if it's fired clay or volcanic rock), but you set that in a vessel of water & then a netted pot inside that to hold the plants, sort of above, w/ roots growing into & among the Leca Stones.

Oh, wait, I've got just the thing to show you this.

This is a pot of Leca stones w/an Anthurium that I've managed to save by switching it to growing in water, from failing in mix.

10 years ago

Hey, Karen!
    What size are the pics that you're uploading? Are you cropping or re-sizing them before you upload to photobucket? In other words, are they full-size (take up the entire browser) when you view them on a computer/laptop?

Josh

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Josh,

I don't know the size but no, I am not cropping or resizing them. Just a direct copy & paste. But no, the pic doesn't take up the whole screen.

• barbmock
    10 years ago

Hi Karen,

I started some hoya cuttings in some stones from the pet store, I think they are really for lizard terrariums. Anyway, they started in a matter of a few days. Now I think I will try some sans.

Re: our trade. Not necessary to add more plants. I am having cataract surgery in a couple of weeks, so I was hoping to get my trading done before then. It really doesn't matter one way or the other. Mathilde is sitting here in the kitchen window for you. Barb